Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Website VS Blog?

This may turn into a Mac vs PC, however, I hope not because I am looking for some great insight from all of you.

Looking at developing a website or a blog for a small to medium size company. Considering Wordpress if I go with a Blog.

Blogs used to be for posting thoughts or real simple tasks basically, however, they have come a long way and from what I understand are picking up market share vs website. They are fairly easy to setup, maintain, update...with many free plugins.

Any thoughts on the benefits vs disadvantages of each for ecommerce purposes, SEO and analytics?

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Re: Website VS Blog?

Really depends on what you are doing. There is a lot of overlap between types of websites.

Wordpress is a good blog. Lots of things you can add. I think it's great for a blog and good for small businesses.

A medium size business should be looking for a CMS first system. Or if you are going to sell something e-commerce package. A lot of CMS's will sell things, but not well. A lot of e-commerce packages will have basic CMS features.

If you are really doing this all yourself then I'd look at squarespace.com But generally speaking most sites people do themselves tend to end up looking like sites people did themselves...

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,295
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Website VS Blog?

Quote Originally Posted by Ames View Post
    Really depends on what you are doing. There is a lot of overlap between types of websites.

Wordpress is a good blog. Lots of things you can add. I think it's great for a blog and good for small businesses.

A medium size business should be looking for a CMS first system. Or if you are going to sell something e-commerce package. A lot of CMS's will sell things, but not well. A lot of e-commerce packages will have basic CMS features.

If you are really doing this all yourself then I'd look at squarespace.com But generally speaking most sites people do themselves tend to end up looking like sites people did themselves...
    I think in most cases you are correct, they look poorly. I think the same can be said for a cheap website too. Either way, branding is important and reflects on your service or product.

Thanks

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!