Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 11

plasma tv

Anyone have any opinions on plasma tvs? Any brand better than another? Things to look for when buying? TIA

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 757
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Re: plasma tv

yeah, dont buy a plasma, buy an LCD, the LCD will last 2-3 more times longer and produces alot less heat. Sony, RCA, and samsung are really good brands

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 15

wheels definitely has it right, that and Plasma's have a bad habit of burning images into the screen. I bought a 37" Sharp Aquos in May and absolutely love it. 2 HDMI inputs, and it has an over the air tuner that picks up HD channels out of the DSM area

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 203
    Given: 454

Badar did it smart. Be sure it has an HD tuner built in your HDTV for OTA signals (and buy the rooftop antenna!!). one HDMI input is enough.. as you can install a switch and minimize cables to the TV if hung on a wall.

And wheels is right too.. go LCD. and if they don't make LCD big enough for your need... go projection (hung from the ceiling). I watched the UofI vs. OSU game last year on a 8 foot x 4 foot 'screen' in a friends basement. I sat 8 feet away and was completely impressed. Movies are to die for in that format... oh and it is all HD.

PM me for details on the projection setup if you need. otherwise stay away from Plasma for now.

- keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Keep in mind, if you are going to go front projection, you'll want to do so in a darker room. It need not be pitch black, yet doing front projection in a bright room (lots of windows) won't yield you a great picture.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

I'd go with a Samsung. Every time I walk into the store and see one of the Samsung HDTVs my jaw just drops at how amazing the picture is (well, any Samsung TV for that matter). I'm also quite a bit of a Sony homer so I like their stuff as well.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by wheels686 View Post
    yeah, dont buy a plasma, buy an LCD, the LCD will last 2-3 more times longer and produces alot less heat. Sony, RCA, and samsung are really good brands
    Except a plasma has a much sharper picture and is much better in bright rooms. I have every major tv technology in my house. I have a 50" Plasma, a 60" SXRD LCOS, a 32" LCD in the bedroom, and a 40" CRT for the living room.

The CRT has the best picture, but it weighs 300 lbs, the Plasma is #2, but it weighs more than a CRT and consumes more energy. The LCD is the worst picutre I have, but it is good in dark rooms, and consumes the leasy energy. If you get a lcd, make sure it is a very fast refresh, or you will get motion blur when watching sports. And that is REALLY annoying.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 275

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Except a plasma has a much sharper picture and is much better in bright rooms. I have every major tv technology in my house. I have a 50" Plasma, a 60" SXRD LCOS, a 32" LCD in the bedroom, and a 40" CRT for the living room.

The CRT has the best picture, but it weighs 300 lbs, the Plasma is #2, but it weighs more than a CRT and consumes more energy. The LCD is the worst picutre I have, but it is good in dark rooms, and consumes the leasy energy. If you get a lcd, make sure it is a very fast refresh, or you will get motion blur when watching sports. And that is REALLY annoying.

Gimme your wallet now.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I've been happy with my Samsung DLP. No worries about burn in with it either.

Prospect
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I also have a samsung LCD tv love the picture and it pretty light to move if needed.

Go State!

All-Star
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isudoc03 View Post
    Anyone have any opinions on plasma tvs? Any brand better than another? Things to look for when buying? TIA
    Don't be turned off to the idea of plasma, because there definitely are benefits to both types of televisions. I bought a Panasonic 42" plasma. I researched this for months back in Nov-Dec. I would reccomend Panasonic, it was near the top in most reviews and it was the best bang for the buck I could find. Pioneer is very good too, but expensive.

For larger sets (42" and above) plasma is generally cheaper than LCD, but not always. Plasma has much darker blacks and can typically be seen more clearly from a wider angle and in bright rooms or rooms with lots of outside light. Lifespans are comparable from what I have researched.

LCD doesn't run as hot, are typically lighter (by weight) and LCD has virtually no chance of burn in, but the chances of burn in on a plasma tv are very small on the latest models when watching television, especially if you take the proper precautions. (Substituting a plasma television as a computer monitor is a different story due to the static nature of a computer screen)

You really cant go wrong either way. Just evaluate your priorities and choose the type that fits best. Here some reading if you are interested.

Plasma vs LCD: Which is right for you? - TVs

Plasma vs. LCD: Six things you need to know - TVs

Plasma vs LCD TV - a detailed comparative guide to flat-panel TV technology

Last edited by BigDISU1; 08-01-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41

I would give my left nut for one of the Pioneer plasmas however I bought a Sony 50" LCD.

Plus - doesn't get washed out by light, less expensive and beautiful picture on HD channels.

Minus - view angles are way less than a plasma, and the Pioneer picture was beyond incredible.

If you're upgrading from an old TV, you can't go wrong with any of the new technologies. All will amaze you.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

Actually, just about ANY Samsung TV is a really good TV. I bought a Samsung 23" flatscreen a year ago and it has a wonderful picture. Too bad my couch is 25' away from the TV. It's an awfully nice SMALL picture! Unfortunately my wife insisted at the time that we use her entertainment center and I had to buy a TV that fit into that small space. Fortunately when we move into our new place next year she's letting that requirement go.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Gimme your wallet now.
    Tv's are cheap nowadays..

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Actually, just about ANY Samsung TV is a really good TV. I bought a Samsung 23" flatscreen a year ago and it has a wonderful picture. Too bad my couch is 25' away from the TV. It's an awfully nice SMALL picture! Unfortunately my wife insisted at the time that we use her entertainment center and I had to buy a TV that fit into that small space. Fortunately when we move into our new place next year she's letting that requirement go.
    Time to man up, Brother!! The fairer sex should not be allowed to make decisions about or otherwise deal with the entertainment center. Haven't you seen this commercial?
    Link: Our Ads - Property | Nationwide.com

I have a 50" plasma, and so far so good. It does well in a wide variety of lighting conditions and viewing angles. I have an older one, and it does "burn in" a little bit when used as a computer monitor. So far, it has always cleared up after a few minutes back in TV mode.

Yes, plasmas do throw some heat, but I just consider it to be supplemental heating for 1/2 of the year...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy