Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 59
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 779,255, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,937
    Points
    779,255
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 585
    Given: 165

    Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    Some notes on ISU's past and future football scheduling. Is San Jose State the next Boise?

    http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/football/williams-blog-tough-luck-scheduling



  2. #2
    Prospect
    Points: 2,262, Level: 13
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    60
    Points
    2,262
    Level
    13
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    If these teams can do that, being as deprived as you say, why can't ISU do it too?



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 469,567, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,703
    Points
    469,567
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    The primary difference being Utah has actually been good this decade, and UConn might very well be the most fraudulent representative in BCS history. Utah scared me going into this season; UConn doesn't scare me going into next season. At least the MWC has been "top-heavy" during Utah's run this decade; The Big East has at most one solid team annually and otherwise is mediocre from top to bottom.

    It's quite the scheduling quirk, but hardly a reason to be afraid of UConn next season.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  4. #4
    Publisher
    Points: 779,255, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,937
    Points
    779,255
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 585
    Given: 165

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    The primary difference being Utah has actually been good this decade, and UConn might very well be the most fraudulent representative in BCS history. Utah scared me going into this season; UConn doesn't scare me going into next season. At least the MWC has been "top-heavy" during Utah's run this decade; The Big East has at most one solid team annually and otherwise is mediocre from top to bottom.

    It's quite the scheduling quirk, but hardly a reason to be afraid of UConn next season.
    You're comfortable with ISU's QB situation going on the road to take on the Big East champs? The Big East is no SEC. But that game is hardly one to laugh at with ISU's current situation. It is very early but I predict that UCONN will be favored in that game.



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 858,279, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,328
    Points
    858,279
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,454
    Given: 1,245

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    UCONN doesn't make me real nervous.
    We'll have questions on offense and likely a solid defense heading in.

    I assume they'll have question marks, too, since college football is full of annual turnover.

    I'd love playing SW Savannah State or somebody, but that doesn't look likely. In light of that, I'd say UCONN is one of the less-imposing alternatives.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  6. #6
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    I wonder if they can tighten the scheduling time frames to help avoid these problems?



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 63,660, Level: 78
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,190
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isubeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,311
    Points
    63,660
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 25

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    we couldn't even beat UCONN with Seneca and you all think we'll be able to go there without knowing who our QB will be and win?



  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,993, Level: 76
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,664
    Points
    60,993
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 15

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by pigphd View Post
    If these teams can do that, being as deprived as you say, why can't ISU do it too?
    Those teams have easier schedules than ISU so they can get to bowl games more regularly.


    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  9. #9
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,257, Level: 62
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,597
    Points
    41,257
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    I think we are looking at 2-4 wins next year. Of course I don't know what other teams are losing and such.
    I will proabably get rolled for saying that, but whatever..

    Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa Ames, Iowa TBA

    Sat, Sep 10 Iowa Ames, Iowa TBA

    Sat, Sep 17 Connecticut at Storrs, Conn.

    Sat, Oct 01 Texas (Family Weekend) * Ames, Iowa

    Sat, Oct 08 Baylor * at Waco, Texas

    Sat, Oct 15 Missouri * at Columbia, Mo.

    Sat, Oct 22 Texas A&M (Homecoming) * Ames, Iowa

    Sat, Oct 29 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas

    Sat, Nov 05 Kansas * Ames, Iowa TBA

    Sat, Nov 12 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla.

    Sat, Nov 19 Oklahoma State * Ames, Iowa

    Sat, Nov 26 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,993, Level: 76
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 657
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cycloneG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Off the grid
    Posts
    3,664
    Points
    60,993
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 15

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    I think we are looking at 2-4 wins next year. Of course I don't know what other teams are losing and such.
    I will proabably get rolled for saying that, but whatever..

    Sat, Sep 03 Northern Iowa Ames, Iowa TBA

    Sat, Sep 10 Iowa Ames, Iowa TBA

    Sat, Sep 17 Connecticut at Storrs, Conn.

    Sat, Oct 01 Texas (Family Weekend) * Ames, Iowa

    Sat, Oct 08 Baylor * at Waco, Texas

    Sat, Oct 15 Missouri * at Columbia, Mo.

    Sat, Oct 22 Texas A&M (Homecoming) * Ames, Iowa

    Sat, Oct 29 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas

    Sat, Nov 05 Kansas * Ames, Iowa TBA

    Sat, Nov 12 Oklahoma * at Norman, Okla.

    Sat, Nov 19 Oklahoma State * Ames, Iowa

    Sat, Nov 26 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan.
    Agreed. If people thought this season's schedule was tough, next season's is ridiculous.


    I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,257, Level: 62
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 393
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,597
    Points
    41,257
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 0

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    They only thing that may keep us in a game is defense, BUT our offense isn't good.
    Then what sucks is A&M, OSU and Baylor are teams that are in the Top 25.



  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 469,567, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,703
    Points
    469,567
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 526
    Given: 367

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    You're comfortable with ISU's QB situation going on the road to take on the Big East champs? The Big East is no SEC. But that game is hardly one to laugh at with ISU's current situation. It is very early but I predict that UCONN will be favored in that game.
    See, this is why I tend to take other people's analyses at face value - people always act like ISU's roster changes in a bubble. It's not as if UConn isn't losing players as well, not to mention they're going to have a little QB "situation" of their own going into next season, as their starting QB (Frazier) is a senior this year.

    Could ISU lose this game? Certainly. But I get sick and tired of the automatic assumption that we're going to lose simply because UConn is a BCS team and we play them on the road, especially when ratings such as Sagarin suggest that as it stands right now they as a team are really no better than us. And it certainly doesn't change the fact that UConn is still likely the worst team ever to participate in a BCS bowl game.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 62,590, Level: 77
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Ficklone02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    City by the Bay
    Posts
    3,907
    Points
    62,590
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    I'm more focused on us than anything. I welcome the competition, and think if we support our coach and fill the stands he can do great things here in time.



  14. #14
    Publisher
    Points: 779,255, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,937
    Points
    779,255
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 585
    Given: 165

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    See, this is why I tend to take other people's analyses at face value - people always act like ISU's roster changes in a bubble. It's not as if UConn isn't losing players as well, not to mention they're going to have a little QB "situation" of their own going into next season, as their starting QB (Frazier) is a senior this year.

    Could ISU lose this game? Certainly. But I get sick and tired of the automatic assumption that we're going to lose simply because UConn is a BCS team and we play them on the road, especially when ratings such as Sagarin suggest that as it stands right now they as a team are really no better than us. And it certainly doesn't change the fact that UConn is still likely the worst team ever to participate in a BCS bowl game.
    I'm not assuming anything. Iowa State can very well win that football game. The fact is that it is an early road game against a quality program that has a ton of momentum right now.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 858,279, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,328
    Points
    858,279
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,454
    Given: 1,245

    Re: Williams Blog: Tough luck scheduling

    Quote Originally Posted by isubeatle View Post
    we couldn't even beat UCONN with Seneca and you all think we'll be able to go there without knowing who our QB will be and win?
    After that Oklahoma game, we couldn't beat anybody with Seneca. I'm not giving up every team on our schedule because that team tanked.

    We might be able to beat them, we might not. We don't know what either team looks like by that game. Way too early to be worried about it.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM