Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 213,778, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,021
    Points
    213,778
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

    Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    What are some benefits of the two teams leaving?
    Will ISU be able to recruit a higher level of athlete now that Colorado and Nebraska are gone?
    Does ISU become more relevant in a 10 team conference with a round robin schedule?



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 426,205, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,643
    Points
    426,205
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 1

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    What are some benefits of the two teams leaving?
    Few, if any.
    Will ISU be able to recruit a higher level of athlete now that Colorado and Nebraska are gone?
    No. Its rare we're competing with those schools for recruits.
    Does ISU become more relevant in a 10 team conference with a round robin schedule?
    Nope. We're still that school on Oklahoma's schedule that they write off.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 203,953, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MLawrence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,068
    Points
    203,953
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 18

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    It might help with recruiting in Texas, because Nebraska and Colorado will no longer play in the state anymore unless they schedule non-conference games there. However, it isn't like Colorado and Nebraska are dropping down to the WAC or the Sun Belt. They are still in a BCS conference. Once, ISU starts competing with the top teams in the conference then they will be able to get "higher caliber" athlete.



  4. #4
    Rookie
    Points: 13,076, Level: 34
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 274
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    482
    Points
    13,076
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    IMO, I would say no it is not good. First, Nebraska leaving the Big 12 weakens the conference. Now we are basically the Texas schools and Oklahoma plus some tag-a-longs. That means if OU or Texas says enough the whole thing is off. Secondly, it makes winning football much harder. We had chances to make a Big 12 championship game in recent history. If we get there and the opposing team pulls a Nebraska during that game and gives it away 8 times, we could have won a conference championship. Now, it's nearly impossible that we'll win a conference championship in football. We now no longer have an extra patsy in the OOC season because of the round-robin schedule, and we play Texas and OU every year. Third, the basketball conference also has gotten stronger. Instead of 4 games every year against Nebraska and Colorado where we expect 3-4 wins, we get extra games against Texas, OU, Baylor, and OSU.

    The one positive is that we will have more money if the tv contracts ever come to fruition. That money also increases accordingly for each of our peer Big 12 schools though. I will always wish that the Big12 would have folded and we ended up in the Big East. We'd have a legitimate shot at a BCS bowl game every year in that conference.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 28,175, Level: 51
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    homeless
    Posts
    1,844
    Points
    28,175
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    IMO, I would say no it is not good. First, Nebraska leaving the Big 12 weakens the conference. Now we are basically the Texas schools and Oklahoma plus some tag-a-longs. That means if OU or Texas says enough the whole thing is off. Secondly, it makes winning football much harder. We had chances to make a Big 12 championship game in recent history. If we get there and the opposing team pulls a Nebraska during that game and gives it away 8 times, we could have won a conference championship. Now, it's nearly impossible that we'll win a conference championship in football. We now no longer have an extra patsy in the OOC season because of the round-robin schedule, and we play Texas and OU every year. Third, the basketball conference also has gotten stronger. Instead of 4 games every year against Nebraska and Colorado where we expect 3-4 wins, we get extra games against Texas, OU, Baylor, and OSU.

    The one positive is that we will have more money if the tv contracts ever come to fruition. That money also increases accordingly for each of our peer Big 12 schools though. I will always wish that the Big12 would have folded and we ended up in the Big East. We'd have a legitimate shot at a BCS bowl game every year in that conference.
    nail on head


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 190,108, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    jbhtexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Posts
    10,482
    Points
    190,108
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 19

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    We had chances to make a Big 12 championship game in recent history.
    And it didn't happen.

    Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    Now, it's nearly impossible that we'll win a conference championship in football.
    Well, ISU didn't win a conference championship when there were 6, 7, 8, or 12 teams in the conference. Maybe 10 is the magic number.


    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

    Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 50,795, Level: 69
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Drive4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    972
    Posts
    5,535
    Points
    50,795
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 39

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    It will definitely help our recruiting in the Big 12 foot print. There's no doubt about that.

    Other than that, I don't see it making much difference. It sucks only having 3 non-conference games. That's my main complaint with the entire thing.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 185,500, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    16,923
    Points
    185,500
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 16

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    No.

    One thing forgotten is how good of a basketball conference the Big 12 will be. You are taking out two of the worse teams in the conference. Then I would imagine the Big 12 will go to playing every team twice, making it an even harder conference. There will be no easy games in conference. The Big 12 needs to figure out what teams will help the conference and go get them to return the conference to a 12 team league. I think when this happens it could be good for ISU.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 142,884, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    CrossCyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    9,376
    Points
    142,884
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    Basketball doesn't matter half as much as football.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 64,071, Level: 78
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 779
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    RustShack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arrowheaddrive.com
    Posts
    4,466
    Points
    64,071
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 0

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    I would say its bad for Iowa State. Colorado and Nebraska(at times) were winnable games for us. Now we have a harder schedule every year.



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,333, Level: 62
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    heitclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malvern, IA
    Posts
    4,356
    Points
    41,333
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 77

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    No.

    One thing forgotten is how good of a basketball conference the Big 12 will be. You are taking out two of the worse teams in the conference. Then I would imagine the Big 12 will go to playing every team twice, making it an even harder conference. There will be no easy games in conference. The Big 12 needs to figure out what teams will help the conference and go get them to return the conference to a 12 team league. I think when this happens it could be good for ISU.
    Yea think of how much rougher the last few years would have been if we hadn't had NU and CU on the schedule. They were most of Gmac's big 12 wins.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 118,984, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    simply1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,225
    Points
    118,984
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    I think the de-stabilizing effect on the conference and lack of any sort of national relevance for the big 12 north outweighs any positives.


    I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 170,733, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    clonedude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,229
    Points
    170,733
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 0

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    I think the de-stabilizing effect on the conference and lack of any sort of national relevance for the big 12 north outweighs any positives.
    Correct. We need to add two more teams as soon as possible. I know that will take money out of our pockets, but we are a very unstable league right now.

    I think we should add BYU and either Air Force or Boise St to the North division.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 213,778, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    JUKEBOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7,021
    Points
    213,778
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 0

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Correct. We need to add two more teams as soon as possible. I know that will take money out of our pockets, but we are a very unstable league right now.

    I think we should add BYU and either Air Force or Boise St to the North division.
    Why is it unstable with 10 teams?



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 265,738, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,355
    Points
    265,738
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 9

    Re: Are Nebraska and Colorado leaving good for ISU?

    10 team conference is perfect. Everyone plays everyone as it should be.

    I'm very happy.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM