Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 32

More of the same

Well, it seems like anymore I could make pretty much the same post after every IA/ISU dual and it would fit. ISU does some things that keep you thinking there's a chance, but in the end, Iowa gets that upset or wins that swing match that salts away the dual. Say what you will, but Iowa pulls the matches out that they need.

My worthless take, match by match....

197- Ward will forever frustrate me. He can reach down and get to anybody's legs, without even setting up a shot. That said, he's content to try to make a 1st period takedown last rather than keeping the pressure on with superior athleticism. You can make an argument on the stall warning in the 2nd period, but there's nwih that he should have gotten dinged twice in 30 seconds in the 3rd to force OT when Lofthouse didn't initiate anything. Ward was far from and offensive force in this match, but the stall calls were a joke. Nice win for him in the end, but it never should have been that close. I lay that at Ward's feet, not the refs.

285- Simonson did what he could against a guy that probably outweighed him by 40#. If he could figure out a way to get out to the side with those shots instead of getting stuck underneath, he could beat Rasing. How the ref could watch Rasing ride paralel the entire 2nd period and back up the entire 3rd period and not ding him once is beyond me, especially considering the way he called 197. It was one that everybody knew we needed and despite a game effort, Simonson didn't have enough against a quality hwt.

125- Hunter was outmanned. McD got off to a good start and never slowed down. I'll be honest, I was happy getting out of this one with only a major. I really thought McD would stick him.

133- See 125. Ramos looked good, but Jones is not on that level right now. I like the way he competes, but he is a sacrificial lamb at this point.

141- Obviously the biggest swing of the night. Hawk fans were touting Ballweg and he didn't disappoint. The odd thing is, I'm not really that disappointed with how Drouin wrestled. He was the aggressor and was in deep on some really nice shots. Based on KJ's comments, it sounded like they were a little suprised by Ballweg's funk. He was very comfortable in the scrambles. I was shocked that a 5th (+?) yr senior wasn't able to finish that last shot, let alone Ballweg scoring the match winning td off of it. Drouin has to win that match, plain and simple.

149- When Carr gave up the first td, I really thought the rout was on. I was pleasantly suprised by his effort and the outcome. Nobody is going to mistake Chiri for Metcalf, but Carr really put the wood to him. I've watched my share of wrestling and I've never seen that move that Carr used to put Chiri to his back from the tree-top position before. He looked quick, physical, and well conditioned. One of the highlights of the dual for me. Hopefully he is adjusting to the cut and will be a factor for us at 149

157- If Weatherman figures out a way to finish that first shot, who knows, the match might be completely different. I've seen them both wrestle before, but I couldn't believe how much more length St. John had than Weatherman. He knew exactly how to use it and was putting on a clinic at the end. Disappointing loss for me as a guy that thought Weatherman would be an impact wrestler in yr. 1. As much as I hate to say it, he's got a long way to go to be a natl qualifier, let alone an AA.

165- Sorenson was another bright spot for me. Kerr's funk is tough to figure out, but Andrew was patient, kept good position, and was the aggressor throughout. If the ref rewards aggressiveness, Andrew probably gets his td earlier in the 2nd and has some back points to go along with it. He said his approach was different this year and that he wasn't going to get so "up" for the match. If I'm not mistaken, Andrew had a wider margin against Kerr than Reader did last year. Kerr ain't gonna win the national title, but nobody blows his doors off. This was a solid win.

174- Hawk fans are high on Lofthouse and Reader pretty much toyed with him. The score wasn't indicative of how much Reader controlled this match. Varsity vs. JV

184- We knew this one was a long shot and Gambrall never left the outcome in doubt. I was a little disappointed that Shafer wasn't throwing haymakers out there. Give me an attempted bear hug....left handed headlock....something. I know this isn't pee-wee wrestling and the odds of that stuff working are somewhere around the same as me sleeping with Marissa Miller tonight, but at that point, I really don't care if we lose by 6 or 9. Give it the ol' steer try and see what happens.

I take some solace in the fact that nobody is more disappointed than KJ, but in the end, I'm just sick of coming up short. I'll hope for better days ahead, but this is just another in a long line of "what should have beens."

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: More of the same

That worthless take, match by match, was really good and exactly how I saw it. That move that Carr did when he had the leg elevated put it on the map. We'll be seeing kids try that now. It was really sweet. I had to rewind the DVR and watch it a couple of times. Ward has so much talent but seems to prefere to let others just hang around. I'd have liked to see Reader pin his guy. He dominated physically but it sure didn't show in the final score. Iowa's McD was the class of the dual tonight. There was not doubt about where his at and how good he is. Jones, lots of heart but he has a long, long way to go at the DI level.

You can have it Fast, Cheap, Reliable.....Please pick TWO!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357

Well.... this is a total rebuilding year for Iowa, and they still took it to us. If we couldn't beat them this year, then forget about it for a while.

Iowa gets major decisions from their best wrestlers, while our most dominant guy, Reader, just toys with his guy, but only wins 6-1?

Typical ISU. Reader CANNOT be happy with only winning 6-1 against a guy he should pin. And some of our guys just don't have any aggression whatsover. If you're going to lose, you might as well go down fighting.

Prospect
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ca4cy View Post
    Well, it seems like anymore I could make pretty much the same post after every IA/ISU dual and it would fit. ISU does some things that keep you thinking there's a chance, but in the end, Iowa gets that upset or wins that swing match that salts away the dual. Say what you will, but Iowa pulls the matches out that they need.

My worthless take, match by match....

197- Ward will forever frustrate me. He can reach down and get to anybody's legs, without even setting up a shot. That said, he's content to try to make a 1st period takedown last rather than keeping the pressure on with superior athleticism. You can make an argument on the stall warning in the 2nd period, but there's nwih that he should have gotten dinged twice in 30 seconds in the 3rd to force OT when Lofthouse didn't initiate anything. Ward was far from and offensive force in this match, but the stall calls were a joke. Nice win for him in the end, but it never should have been that close. I lay that at Ward's feet, not the refs.

285- Simonson did what he could against a guy that probably outweighed him by 40#. If he could figure out a way to get out to the side with those shots instead of getting stuck underneath, he could beat Rasing. How the ref could watch Rasing ride paralel the entire 2nd period and back up the entire 3rd period and not ding him once is beyond me, especially considering the way he called 197. It was one that everybody knew we needed and despite a game effort, Simonson didn't have enough against a quality hwt.

125- Hunter was outmanned. McD got off to a good start and never slowed down. I'll be honest, I was happy getting out of this one with only a major. I really thought McD would stick him.

133- See 125. Ramos looked good, but Jones is not on that level right now. I like the way he competes, but he is a sacrificial lamb at this point.

141- Obviously the biggest swing of the night. Hawk fans were touting Ballweg and he didn't disappoint. The odd thing is, I'm not really that disappointed with how Drouin wrestled. He was the aggressor and was in deep on some really nice shots. Based on KJ's comments, it sounded like they were a little suprised by Ballweg's funk. He was very comfortable in the scrambles. I was shocked that a 5th (+?) yr senior wasn't able to finish that last shot, let alone Ballweg scoring the match winning td off of it. Drouin has to win that match, plain and simple.

149- When Carr gave up the first td, I really thought the rout was on. I was pleasantly suprised by his effort and the outcome. Nobody is going to mistake Chiri for Metcalf, but Carr really put the wood to him. I've watched my share of wrestling and I've never seen that move that Carr used to put Chiri to his back from the tree-top position before. He looked quick, physical, and well conditioned. One of the highlights of the dual for me. Hopefully he is adjusting to the cut and will be a factor for us at 149

157- If Weatherman figures out a way to finish that first shot, who knows, the match might be completely different. I've seen them both wrestle before, but I couldn't believe how much more length St. John had than Weatherman. He knew exactly how to use it and was putting on a clinic at the end. Disappointing loss for me as a guy that thought Weatherman would be an impact wrestler in yr. 1. As much as I hate to say it, he's got a long way to go to be a natl qualifier, let alone an AA.

165- Sorenson was another bright spot for me. Kerr's funk is tough to figure out, but Andrew was patient, kept good position, and was the aggressor throughout. If the ref rewards aggressiveness, Andrew probably gets his td earlier in the 2nd and has some back points to go along with it. He said his approach was different this year and that he wasn't going to get so "up" for the match. If I'm not mistaken, Andrew had a wider margin against Kerr than Reader did last year. Kerr ain't gonna win the national title, but nobody blows his doors off. This was a solid win.

174- Hawk fans are high on Lofthouse and Reader pretty much toyed with him. The score wasn't indicative of how much Reader controlled this match. Varsity vs. JV

184- We knew this one was a long shot and Gambrall never left the outcome in doubt. I was a little disappointed that Shafer wasn't throwing haymakers out there. Give me an attempted bear hug....left handed headlock....something. I know this isn't pee-wee wrestling and the odds of that stuff working are somewhere around the same as me sleeping with Marissa Miller tonight, but at that point, I really don't care if we lose by 6 or 9. Give it the ol' steer try and see what happens.

I take some solace in the fact that nobody is more disappointed than KJ, but in the end, I'm just sick of coming up short. I'll hope for better days ahead, but this is just another in a long line of "what should have beens."
    Thanks for the post. Appreciate your thoughts. I was hopeful that with both squads in retooling mode, this was a match we could win. Seems to me the Drouin match was the crucial one. If he hadn't given up that late TD, who knows?

And the ref clearly has some early season kinks to get worked out, as well! Friday was not a good Cyclone sports day (volleyball, wrestling). Hopefully Saturday and Sunday (men's and women's bb) will be better.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 540
    Given: 621

Pretty spot on analysis.

I think we're going to be a much better tournament team than dual team this year. Our ranked guys wrestled well for the most part even when going against other ranked guys. I feel like Jackson put together a gameplan for everybody to win and this gives me a lot of hope for March. I think we'll qualify 6 guys (7 is Weatherman gets his act together) and they will all score points for us in Philly.

We have huge holes at 125, 133, at 184 though. All those guys fought with a lot of heart and I give them all my respect, but they are really getting tossed to the wolves out there. Weatherman at 157 is turning out to be a huge disappointment as well, he got broke last night and gave up those last few takedowns for the major decision. It's going to be tough to win a lot of dual meets against quality opponents when you are giving up 3-4 matches every time.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 2

Have to be impressed with the improvement that Sorenson is making. I look for him to surprise on the upside at Nationals.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Well.... this is a total rebuilding year for Iowa, and they still took it to us. If we couldn't beat them this year, then forget about it for a while.

Iowa gets major decisions from their best wrestlers, while our most dominant guy, Reader, just toys with his guy, but only wins 6-1?

Typical ISU. Reader CANNOT be happy with only winning 6-1 against a guy he should pin. And some of our guys just don't have any aggression whatsover. If you're going to lose, you might as well go down fighting.
    For one, I don't think Iowa got the dominate win that everyone is saying. Yes, in most matches they were the aggressor but if Simonson wins his match (which he should have) and Chris wins his, we could win the meet.

And as for Reader, you can't say he should pin the guy. The guy was undefeated going into the match and ranked in the top 20. Its hard enough to pin a guy in college wrestling let alone a ranked guy. Yeah, maybe he could of gotten a major but asking for a pin is outragous.

"Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 48

Quote Originally Posted by MilehighClone View Post
    Have to be impressed with the improvement that Sorenson is making. I look for him to surprise on the upside at Nationals.
    Agree totally! You can tell that this guy is working his tail off in the wrestling room. He seems very patient and wrestles with pretty good technique. Very nice bright spot this season.

"Its time to roll up our sleeves, put on our hard hats and go to work together"

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 726
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 65

Quote Originally Posted by Scott34 View Post
    For one, I don't think Iowa got the dominate win that everyone is saying. Yes, in most matches they were the aggressor but if Simonson wins his match (which he should have) and Chris wins his, we could win the meet.

And as for Reader, you can't say he should pin the guy. The guy was undefeated going into the match and ranked in the top 20. Its hard enough to pin a guy in college wrestling let alone a ranked guy. Yeah, maybe he could of gotten a major but asking for a pin is outragous.
    I don't think that they were the aggressor in most matches. They were at 125, 133, 157 and 184...all matches where they were the clear favorite. ISU was the aggressor in 6 matches. Only problem was that they lost two of them. Hwt and 141 were the keys to the match. ISU was more aggressive, but couldn't turn that into points.