Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,066
    Given: 283

Cyclones Fall Short to Rival Iowa in Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series Event

IOWA CITY, Iowa – The Iowa State wrestling team fell short in its efforts to topple the seventh-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes by a score of 22-13 in a very competitive match Friday in Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Cyclone head coach Kevin Jackson would have nothing of it.

“We missed an opportunity here,” Jackson said. “I thought we would win at 141 and that we could win at heavyweight but we didn’t finish the moves we needed. Was the crowd a factor? Yes but that is why you come wrestle here. We were the aggressors in both of those matches. ”

More online at www.cyclones.com.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 574

Re: Cyclones Fall Short to Rival Iowa in Hy-Vee Cy-Hawk Series Event

Just got home from the meet, so overall here's my thoughts.

The good: Our fundamentals were sound, nobody got out-techniqued. Also, our guys that were outgunned bigtime put up a hell of a fight. I have nothing but respect for Hunter, James, and Shafer. Those guys fought with heart. Ward pulled out a win after the ref did everything he could to give Lofthouse the match, and other than Drouin we won every match we were supposed to. This ISU team is going to score a lot of points in March.

The bad: We didn't get outwrestled, but we got outhustled. The Iowa guys had much more intensity. This was especially clear when it came to getting escapes from the bottom. Almost none of our wrestlers exploded out and most of them just hung out down there without making a real attempt to get out.

The ugly: Weatherman got broken. He just gave up in the third period and surrendered a major. Weatherman is a huge disappointment this season. I can forgive losing, but giving up is not acceptable. Also, our lineup has some big holes. Where we're bad we're really bad.

Overall I am disappointed with the loss, but not worried about the team other than the holes we already knew about. All of the guys we expect to score points for us in March wrestled good, intense matches with an obvious gameplan put together to win. This makes me feel good about the future with Jackson. He put our wrestlers in the position they needed to win tonight. I think he'll have us peaking at the right time and ready to outperform at NCAAs.

The officiating at 197, Heavy, and 141 was atrocious. Ward overcame it to win in overtime, but at Heavy I still don't know how the ref thought that the Hawk got an escape and then takedown. That match should have gone into overtime at 0-0. At 141 we did everything but pin the guy and never got a score, but right at the end of regulation the Hawk got some questionable control (way less than we'd gotten and not scored with just moments before) and was awarded a takedown. Even if we only win one of those OT matches it still is a much closer score. Win them both and we win the meet.

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 139

Hawks won at heavyweight with an escape and riding time.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 514
    Given: 574

Quote Originally Posted by 1100011CS View Post
    Hawks won at heavyweight with an escape and riding time.
    You're right, I was getting ahead of myself with the takedown part. What happened was the ref gave the Hawk heavy a very questionable escape during a scramble, and when the scramble ended our guy ended up on top (enough to have kept control, but not enough for a takedown). It should have gone into overtime 0-0.