Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Meyer 6th best QB in Big XII??

According to a San Antonio website ranking Big XII QBs, Bret Meyer is the 6th best in the conference.

"The list

Hereís an opinionated grouping of the Big 12ís quarterbacks, ranked heading into the 2007 season

1. Colt McCoy, Texas: After tying the national NCAA freshman record with 29 touchdown passes last season, he should be even better as a sophomore.

2. Chase Daniel, Missouri: Gary Pinkel calls him the most naturally gifted leader heís ever worked with.

3. Graham Harrell, Texas Tech: Itís hard to believe heís underrated after 4,555 passing yards and 38 touchdown passes in his first season as a starter, but he might be. Expectations are high for Tech quarterbacks after all of the good ones that preceded him.

4. Bobby Reid, Oklahoma State: OSU coaches say his improved maturity will be the biggest reason the Cowboys can challenge any team in the Big 12 this season.

5. Stephen McGee, Texas A&M: His statistics donít wow you, but his leadership and rushing skills make him among the conferenceís most valuable players.

6. Bret Meyer, Iowa State: Some might forget that he nearly led the Cyclones to a couple of Big 12 North titles earlier in his career.

7. Josh Freeman, Kansas State: Was he the quarterback who torched UT late last season, or the one that struggled against Kansas and Rutgers and against his own teammates in the spring game?

8. Sam Keller/Joe Ganz, Nebraska: Keller had his moments at Arizona State, but Bill Callahan insists the starting job is open heading into preseason practice.

9. Kerry Meier/Todd Reesing, Kansas: Whoever wins the job has the unenviable chore of kickstarting the Jayhawksí offense without TB Jon Cornish.

10. Sam Bradford/Joey Halzle/Keith Nichol, Oklahoma: Most still believe that OU would be a legitimate national title contender this season if Rhett Bomar hadnít been kicked off the team. Instead, the uncertain trio will be the Soonersí biggest question as they attempt to repeat as Big 12 champs.

11. Cody Hawkins/Nick Nelson, Colorado: Colorado players say that the undersized Hawkins is every bit as fiery as his dad. Nelson posted big numbers at Saddleback Community College. But Dan Hawkins might regret pushing Bernard Jackson into a new position before itís over.

12. Michael Machen/John David Weed, Baylor: Machen posted big numbers at Kent State as a starter and should thrive in Lee Haysí spread passing attack. But heíll have to do it without much of a ground attack."

What do you think? It seems like they're giving too much credit to Reid of OSU considering Meyer's career stats and experience.

(The only reason to believe their opinion would be valid could be if they see our O-line decreasing Meyer's value)

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 35

Re: Meyer 6th best QB in Big XII??

A couple of titles? I remember 1/2 a title, I would not count that as a couple.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Well, I sort of see it - Meyer was expected to be one of the top, if not the top QB in the Big XII last year after two great seasons and almost division titles. He was just so inconsistent last year, but a major part of that was always being on the run. I hope he makes a comeback to one of the top players in the conference this year... but i think the Big XII is loaded at QB this year so being ranked anywhere in the top half is pretty good!!!

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Addict
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

I would agree with the list. The first five guys didn't exist on anyone's radar before the season last year, or couldn't be logically considered since some of them were freshmen.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Walk On
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    It said, nearly led to a couple of titles, which is accurate.

I think Meyer should be 4th or 5th, but it's still sad how much the South dominates the top of this list.

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

I think it's about right but then again I also think people here over-value Meyer too much and tend to blame anyone but him for his flaws sometimes. Chizik nailed it at the Big 12 media day, Meyer has to learn how to get rid of the ball quicker when on the run. Yes the OL was terrible but I've always felt even before last year that Meyer holds onto the ball too long and isn't very timely on when to tuck it in and run or just throw it away.

I hope he improves and at the end of the year you can put him higher on this list but I think it's a pretty fair ranking right now.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,169
    Given: 602

I would say that Meyer is 3rd or 4th, with the potential to be 1st or 2nd. Who knows how good he would be when he's not running for his life. He does need to get better as far as making a quick run/pass/throw it away decision. But it's not all on him.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 246
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    iowa would

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I agree the ranking is fair. What I will be interested in seeing is how well he has taken to all of the coaching that he has received this off season.

But having said that, if the line blows again this year, then it won't matter.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 194

Quote Originally Posted by melt View Post
    It said, nearly led to a couple of titles, which is accurate.

I think Meyer should be 4th or 5th, but it's still sad how much the South dominates the top of this list.
    Most of those south qbs* played high school football in the state of Texas.

I noticed that Gene C is going to recruit the state of Texas quite heavily and I also hope we won't be recruiting anymore qbs from the state of Iowa!!

*I just looked it up in Lindys and ALL OF THE QBS AHEAD OF MEYER PLAYED HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL IN TEXAS!!

One failure against mizzou that led to a trip to Kansas City being cancelled is enough!!

Last edited by CyBobby; 07-31-2007 at 04:35 PM. Reason: additional information

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 296

Id have Meyer 7th.

Rookie
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 230
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Uh, none of those quarterbacks ahead of Meyer had Stevie Hicks at running back. Put an offensive lineman in their backfield and a prehistoric game plan and see how much teams key on the one option who was the ISU quarterback.

I agree that Meyer has been inconsistent, but something has never added up with Meyer. One game he will run the ball up the field for huge yards (bowl game) and then the next season he is running out of bounds or going down to avoid contact. The lack of a passing game had to do more with our offensive coaches than Meyer. Some of you think it's as easy as throw it up to Blythe. Fortunately, it sounds like the new staff knows better and Blythe isn't strutting so much this year.

I believe Meyer was coached to play conservative, losing football. We will see this season, but Meyer is a better quarterback than most of those players on that list.

Tech- it's the system.

The A&M quarterback? are you kidding?

PS And just because colt mccoy plays for Texas does not make him good. Did anyone watch the Iowa game? Please. Surround any high school quarterback with that talent and some people will believe he is great. Mccoy is average from what I have seen. I don't see a lot of great quarterbacks in the Big 12 and I think Meyer could be better than all of them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

That is probably a pretty accurate list when you look at potential pro prospects as well. Keller at Nebraska is a better pro prospect than Meyer.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 578
    Given: 400

Quote Originally Posted by arganbright2 View Post
    That is probably a pretty accurate list when you look at potential pro prospects as well. Keller at Nebraska is a better pro prospect than Meyer.
    If Keller wins the starting job you mean. We're a month away from the start of the season and Callahan STILL hasn't decided on a QB. Keller doesn't play, Keller doesn't have a pro career.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

That doesn't mean that he isn't a better pro prospect