Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Feel sorry for UNI fans

That "slow it down we can't score grind it out" type of play is so boring to watch that I do'nt see how anyone would pay for a ticket. They have to watch this all year!

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Feel sorry for UNI fans

Quote Originally Posted by simesclone View Post
    That "slow it down we can't score grind it out" type of play is so boring to watch that I do'nt see how anyone would pay for a ticket. They have to watch this all year!
    agreeed I felt like ripping my toenails off watching that game tonight.

Rookie
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 162
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 3

UNI students get free tickets to all sporting events when they show their student ID. It should be very easy to fill a stadium in December when tickets are free no matter how slow the game is.

Pro
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,568
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

This game reminded me of the world cup vs. Ghana. They were up and with a few minutes left they would substitute players who were the furthest away possible and would walk slowly everywhere just to drain the clock. We were helpless as UNI took 30 seconds to take shots and they were drawing cheap fouls pretty much all night.

R.I.P "Gibbons" 4/3/2012
    R.I.P RollsRoyce 4/12/2012

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4

You are aware Tim Floyd did the same thing right? It's a lot of fun to watch if you you win. Not so much fun if you lose.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    You are aware Tim Floyd did the same thing right? It's a lot of fun to watch if you you win. Not so much fun if you lose.
    This, the pratt willoughby bankhead team was brutal but won so it was fine by me.

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Don't do this. Don't be a sore loser. UNI runs a clean, classy program. If you want to rip somebody, rip Iowa. Don't bash UNI.

Also, I bet UNI fans felt bad for ISU fans when the Panthers were beating Kansas and playing in the Sweet Sixteen. Let's drop the subject. Let's take the loss and move on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 6

Yeah I feel sorry for them too. Must be tough making it to the sweet-sixteen, beating Kansas, winning 18 straight on your homecourt. Wow they have it rough.

Pull your head out and realize they play great basketball and win games. Period.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 700
    Given: 481

I've said it often when someone rips into a winning Big 10 team simply because they don't like the style of play, and I'll say it here again - I didn't realize watching your team win was boring. I would rather watch the slow, drag-out, "boring" style of play if it guaranteed wins than watching an uptempo, "exciting" style of play if we couldn't win with that style.

I get really tired of the bull **** sly remark of "I feel sorry for _____ fans - they have to watch such a 'boring' style of play," particularly after they beat our team with that "boring" style of play. I'm sure UNI fans slept just fine last night - at least after they got done partying after they owned our arse on the court last night...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 1,020
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217
    Given: 15

I wouldn't feel sorry for them. I'd take that boring slowdown game if it got us into the NCAA like it does them.

Here's an annoying story about their fans. My Dad is an ISU grad who lives near Waterloo. My sister went to UNI and became a UNI fan. My parents have kind of become UNI fans and have season tickets since they are cheap and the games are close. My Dad usually cheers for Iowa State over UNI, but he ALWAYS gives UNI the benefit of the doubt. Before the UNI football game, he was telling me how great UNI was looking and how good they were. Anyway, at this year's UNI football game, I was pretty happy. We had beat UNI (never a given) and had a shutout with our backup QB. I thought it was a good effort. I was very happy. Anyway, after the game my Dad (who had cheered for Iowa State) starts telling me that 'if I was Iowa State I wouldn't feel real good about the game'. I about hit the roof because he had just told me how great UNI was and we had shut them out. Supposably, he was cheering for Iowa State last night, but if he starts with me again, I'm going to tell him that if I were UNI I wouldn't be too excited about that game. :)

Legend
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 155
    Given: 597

Hah! By the looks of the crowd--especially the students---they were sure having a fun time winning!

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131

Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post
    Yeah I feel sorry for them too. Must be tough making it to the sweet-sixteen, beating Kansas, winning 18 straight on your homecourt. Wow they have it rough.

Pull your head out and realize they play great basketball and win games. Period.
    That game last night was not great basketball. It was a freaking abomination of a beautiful game. They do win though and I give them respect for that. It absolutley does not make me miss the style of the Chewie, Floyd, and Eustachy eras.

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by farminclone View Post

We've been to the sweet 16, beat Kansas and had a home winning streak longer than 18. So pull your head out. If you like that boring **** just say so. Do'nt act like a *****.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,304
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 91

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong. Floyd's teams never sat on the ball for 25 seconds before even looking at the basket. They were definitely a half-court team, but don't lump them in the same category as that abomination of basketball that UNI displayed last night.

Willoughby and Cato were 2 of the most fun players to watch in an ISU uniform, and it wasn't cause they were standing around on offense.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 700
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    That game last night was not great basketball. It was a freaking abomination of a beautiful game. They do win though and I give them respect for that. It absolutley does not make me miss the style of the Chewie, Floyd, and Eustachy eras.
    We've been to the sweet 16, beat Kansas and had a home winning streak longer than 18. So pull your head out. If you like that boring **** just say so. Do'nt act like a *****.
    Seriously, what's the purpose of ISU taking the court? To preserve the "beauty" of the game, or to WIN the game?

I don't care about how "beautiful" a style of play is. I care about what the numbers on the scoreboard say when the clock hits 0:00. Let me make it clear - I have no problems with running an uptempo - if it leads to 20+ wins and trips to the NCAA Tournament. I'm going to get a little tired of watching "beautiful" basketball if the end result is loss after loss after loss.

Once again - the "they play boring basketball and they are an abomination" argument is bull **** - they won the game, and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.