Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Amazon Black Friday 2010 offers lead to state grievances

The Friday after Thanksgiving is coming soon. This "huge" shopping day, however, is growing past the single day. On the internet retailer Amazon has currently announced some of their Black Friday 2010 offers. How Amazon has the capacity to offer affordable prices, though, is a sticky issue for many states.

Black Friday 2010 at Amazon

The Black Friday 2010 offers have started being announced by Amazon currently in order to sell more during the holidays. The Amazon Black Friday 2010 strategy is simple - undercut every other retailer's Black Friday specials. Amazon is adding new Black Friday 2010 and Cyber Monday 2010 offers throughout this week. Typically Amazon.com prices are much cheaper than retailer stores currently. There is a 5 to 20 percent discount just by buying there.

Complaints from customers over Amazon Black Friday 2010

Buyers are filing grievances currently, almost as easily as the Black Friday 2010 deals went up. Many say that Amazon Black Friday 2010 deals are going too fast. Since the price only lasts a few hrs or minutes, the majority are saying they aren’t really “deals” getting sold. Many are upset about the “discrimination” Amazon obviously has against customers with slow internet connections since they are selling so easily.

Black Friday 2010 leads to product sales tax at Amazon

It seems amazing to get all of the Black Friday 2010 offers from Amazon with the cheap prices. Amazon is often able to offer affordable prices for one simple reason - sales tax. Amazon isn’t required to charge product sales tax in most states. This makes the final price of the product go down drastically. A 10 percent difference is there sometimes. Any product bought out of state where sales tax is not charged really needs a “use tax” to be paid. Usually consumers do not have to do this. The use tax goes unnoticed. That means anything purchased on Amazon is inherently cheaper because states are losing out on the cut that brick-and-mortar stores have to charge. That means that on Black Friday 2010, a ton of cash could be saved by shoppers at Amazon. Many states are angry that they're losing money depending on this. The state budgets are going down even more because of this.

Citations

Slate

slate.com/id/2275552/

Last edited by cycloneworld; 12-02-2010 at 07:33 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37
    Given: 6

Re: Amazon Black Friday 2010 offers lead to state grievances

spam.

Mods..please delete.

Carrying the banner for ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 497

But, the states that are complaining about losing out on internet sales tax are the ones that have not passed bills taxing internet commerce.

Nothing new here.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 0

My wife and I have literally spent like over 2k on Amazon in the last month. I'm sorry but we have a free amazon prime account (free two day shipping) and the prices are better. It makes sense because they don't have to pay for brick stores which IMO are pretty overrated anyway.

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 181

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    My wife and I have literally spent like over 2k on Amazon in the last month. I'm sorry but we have a free amazon prime account (free two day shipping) and the prices are better. It makes sense because they don't have to pay for brick stores which IMO are pretty overrated anyway.
    Just signed up for Amazon Prime last month and I'm glad I did. Not having to pay shipping plus the product gets here in 2 days (or overnight for $4) is great. I've used Amazon more in the last month than I ever have before. You can save some big money and the have almost everything.