Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

ISU to the Big 11???

I just went home to eat lunch and turned on ESPN while I was there. College Football Live was on and they were discussing the possibility of the Big 11 adding another team so that they could have a conference title game. ND was of course the obvious choice, but will never happen. Teams that were mentioned as possible choices included ISU, Colorado, Syracuse, Rugers and Pitt. Would JP even consider a move to the Big 11. It would definitely make the Big 11 TV package much easier for all of us to swallow!!! I don't know about the rest of you, but I was SHOCKED to hear that we were even on the list of possible teams. Seems unlikely to happen to me, but one never knows. It would put us on TV every Saturday, which would be a big plus?

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Re: ISU to the Big 11???

This was discussed several months ago. It would be HUGE for ISU, as much as people might hate being in the same conference as EIU, the Big Ten has a superior draw due to the regions and Cities that they lie in.

That being said, I can't see the Big Ten ever asking ISU because we would not bring any additional TV revenue.

Schools like Rutgers and Syracuse bring in a large following from a location that the Big Ten currently does not have a team.

Rutger - the entire New Jersey area as well as NYC.
    Syracuse - the Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester areas as well as NYC.

I could even see them bringing in Louisville due to their bball success and recent fball success.

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

It would never happen, but it's something for the talking heads to discuss in the offseason.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know if it's just me but, I don't get excited thinking about playing Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota. I know we were not great last year, but that's like playing 4 Baylor type caliber teams a year.

Growing up Big 8, I love watching us compete against KU, KSU, CU, OSU.... I think it would take a long time to get used to.

The only upside, besides the money, would be we have a fresh start. Our record would be 0-0 in the Big 11 with our programs on the rise.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    This was discussed several months ago. It would be HUGE for ISU, as much as people might hate being in the same conference as EIU, the Big Ten has a superior draw due to the regions and Cities that they lie in.

That being said, I can't see the Big Ten ever asking ISU because we would not bring any additional TV revenue.

Schools like Rutgers and Syracuse bring in a large following from a location that the Big Ten currently does not have a team.

Rutger - the entire New Jersey area as well as NYC.
    Syracuse - the Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester areas as well as NYC.

I could even see them bringing in Louisville due to their bball success and recent fball success.

NYC is pretty meaningless when it comes to college athletics. They don't care about college athletics there. Any new member to the Big 10 would have to meet academic requirements too and Notre Dame(maybe Louisville) doesn't meet them. Rutgers is always the "chic" name but ISU and Mizzou are as likely imo.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I don't know if it's just me but, I don't get excited thinking about playing Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota. I know we were not great last year, but that's like playing 4 Baylor type caliber teams a year.

Growing up Big 8, I love watching us compete against KU, KSU, CU, OSU.... I think it would take a long time to get used to.

The only upside, besides the money, would be we have a fresh start. Our record would be 0-0 in the Big 11 with our programs on the rise.
    The real upside is being able to recruit in our natural recruiting territory(Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota) and all the extra money that would be available. This would be a huge positive for ISU if we could ever make it happen.

Walk On
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Screw the money. I'd vomit if i was in the Big 11. Violently. Its a lot more fun (for me) to wish the worst on the hogeyes and the big 11.

Yick.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 132
    Given: 65

It'll never happen. As it has been mentioned, ISU offers nothing for the Big 10 with Iowa already in it. It's all about the TV $$$$ revenue. Especially with the Big 10 network starting up, they'd want to get a new market.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 27

Aren't we a baylor caliber program right now? I hope we are better soon, but lets face it, Baylor beat us last time we played.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know if it's just me but, I don't get excited thinking about playing Northwestern, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota.
    What do those schools have in common??

All except Illinois beat EIU last season!!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

They will add a team and it will be Syracuse.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    They will add a team and it will be Syracuse.
    Syracuse makes the most sense. ISU is fine in the big12.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyFarmer View Post
    NYC is pretty meaningless when it comes to college athletics. They don't care about college athletics there. Any new member to the Big 10 would have to meet academic requirements too and Notre Dame(maybe Louisville) doesn't meet them. Rutgers is always the "chic" name but ISU and Mizzou are as likely imo.

what do you mean "Notre Dame doesn't meet them." Regarding what academic requirements? Last I checked, ND was a fairly prestigious school academically.

Considering population, tv markets etc.. the Big 11 will be looking east more likely than west... and it won't be ISU... if any Big 12 school it would be Mizzou with STL and KC as decent tv markets.

I agree that the Big 10 bottom feeders aren't appealing to play, but I do think Illinois will be back with their recruiting efforts recently (although the question is if Zook can coach at all.) So every conference is going to have these teams, and some may look at ISU as being one of those in the Big 12 now.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Starter
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    what do you mean "Notre Dame doesn't meet them." Regarding what academic requirements? Last I checked, ND was a fairly prestigious school academically.

Considering population, tv markets etc.. the Big 11 will be looking east more likely than west... and it won't be ISU... if any Big 12 school it would be Mizzou with STL and KC as decent tv markets.

I agree that the Big 10 bottom feeders aren't appealing to play, but I do think Illinois will be back with their recruiting efforts recently (although the question is if Zook can coach at all.) So every conference is going to have these teams, and some may look at ISU as being one of those in the Big 12 now.
    I've talked to some Hawk fan co-workers and they say Notre Dame's not a bona fide "research" institution. Big11 schools have to be research institutions, evidently that's a non-negotiable issue. As far as academic prestige goes, ND is of course towards the top in the nation, there's no denying that.

ISU will not go to the Big 11, my best guess is Rutgers with Syracuse and Louisville a close second and third.

Addict
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

I agree with those who think it would be Syracuse. If the Big Ten were to add a twelfth member, and divide the conference into two portions, it'd look a little like this:

Big Ten East
    Michigan
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Michigan State
    Syracuse?
    Indiana

Big Ten West
    Iowa
    Wisconsin
    Illinois
    Minnesota
    Northwestern
    Purdue

EDIT: Of course, the smart thing to do is to do away with divisions and let the top two teams duke it out for the conference championship...

Go Sssssssssyclones!