Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 0

Nebraska has a team Chaplin...most do.

The hue and cry over a team Chaplin is the biggest bunch of garbage I've ever seen. In order to have a big time program and open the doors to recruits from the South, ISU had to make the move it did. I was at Nebraska last weekend on a tour, and they are proud of the fact they have a team Chaplin, not ashamed or hiding behind a politically correct name. Nebraska also has a optional team prayer session before each game. I'm not saying we have to copy Big Red, but we have to give Chizik the tools he needs, and the "Chaplin" is one of those.

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 41

Re: Nebraska has a team Chaplin...most do.

shh...don't tell Avalos this, he may sue them too.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Chap-LAIN. Please, lets spell it right.

Spelling nazi strikes again.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Is the guy a volunteer, or is it a paid position? We've had a chaplain for years too, but it was just a volunteer role. I think just about everyone has a chaplain. However, I have yet to see anyone point out a state school where the chaplain is paid and has an official position with the school.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Is the guy a volunteer, or is it a paid position? We've had a chaplain for years too, but it was just a volunteer role. I think just about everyone has a chaplain. However, I have yet to see anyone point out a state school where the chaplain is paid and has an official position with the school.
    I'm sure if he is paid, it's with private money. Otherwise, there's probably a good chance it's volunteer.

Quite frankly, it's baffling to me the gigantic fuss that's being made over this.

shh...don't tell Avalos this, he may sue them too.
    He probably should, lest he look like a complete hypocrite. I mean really... I just don't understand this viewpoint that

Chaplain = religion = Christianity = forceful Evangelism

Nobody is obligated, in any way, shape, or form, to have interaction with the Chaplain. Plus, he's volunteer, and believe it or not, some people might appreciate having someone there to talk to if they want. So

No State Funding + No Required Participation + No Discrimination According To Participation/Non-Participation = No Violation of Separation of Church and State

Ugh.. I'm sorry, just all the stuff with this issue boils my blood a bit..

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Nobody is obligated, in any way, shape, or form, to have interaction with the Chaplain. Plus, he's volunteer, and believe it or not, some people might appreciate having someone there to talk to if they want. So

No State Funding + No Required Participation + No Discrimination According To Participation/Non-Participation = No Violation of Separation of Church and State
    In the first part, you're correct, in theory no one is obligated.

However, according to precedents in the Supreme Courts, anyone that is involved with a public school/institution is seen as a "state actor." Because of this, schools can't do that blatantly or purposefully advocate religion. This is why schools can't build a chapel in the building, can't hire chaplains, teachers, administrators, etc. can't hand out bibles, the Koran, the Torah, or other religious materials. Public Universities follow most of the same rules that apply to public elementary, middle, and high schools.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post

However, according to precedents in the Supreme Courts, anyone that is involved with a public school/institution is seen as a "state actor." Because of this, schools can't do that blatantly or purposefully advocate religion. This is why schools can't build a chapel in the building, can't hire chaplains, teachers, administrators, etc. can't hand out bibles, the Koran, the Torah, or other religious materials. Public Universities follow most of the same rules that apply to public elementary, middle, and high schools.
    True, but as I understand it, this position wasn't sought to advocate religion. It was to provide a service, so as to give those involved greater freedom in terms of choices if they were to look for such a service.

Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I see this as giving players more freedom if they want to talk to someone, rather than something that's being imposed on them.

I just don't see where this position is advocating religion...

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

True, but as I understand it, this position wasn't sought to advocate religion. It was to provide a service, so as to give those involved greater freedom in terms of choices if they were to look for such a service.

Perhaps it's just my opinion, but I see this as giving players more freedom if they want to talk to someone, rather than something that's being imposed on them.

I just don't see where this position is advocating religion...
    It's usually not an intentional thing. There's a case where a teacher was sued for handing a student a book on medicinal herbs, and how wiccans used them. (Promoted Wicca).

There was another one where a teacher showed up to school wearing a "Jesus 2K" shirt, and was suspended for a few days I believe, because the express purpose of the shirt was to show their support of their faith.

I think the second one is more closely related to the chaplain issue, just because it looks like they only wanted someone from a specific religious denomination, which, in a way is promoting it.

Just my two cents.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

Iowa needs a chaplain.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,411
    Given: 662

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone62 View Post

However, according to precedents in the Supreme Courts
    The last time I checked, it is the responsibility of the Supreme Court to make sure that the Constitution is followed, not their own precedents. Just because they misinterpreted the Constitution many times over the years does not make those decisions into law. That is the job of Congress.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134

Because of this, schools can't do that blatantly or purposefully advocate religion.
    This is exactly what Avalos does, except he's advocating no religion. Bring him down!

Rookie Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Not exactly....

The Chaplain Mac had was paid/funded via contributions to the Ames Free Church...wasn't very FREE....

The Hawks also have a "Team Chaplain"......thing is most schools do. Some ISU fans just seem to be the most "closed minded" about it. Funny thing is I am all for it, and I hardly religious. An I am alos one fo those that does not understand the fuss. Or why ANYONE even give's People like Avelos and Ward Churchill's opinions any due....
    vbrep_register("158992")

Last edited by RedStorm; 07-27-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo's

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

You're not saying that you think that ISU is the first school to have a paid chaplain, are you? I'd bet that a majority of the southern schools have full-time chaplains. If someone were to do some digging, I'll bet that they would find more than a few of them were paid directly by state universities. The PC Police would get shouted down down there, because religion is much more important to the average person.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Addict
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 599
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 37

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Not again!!!

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BryceC View Post
    This is exactly what Avalos does, except he's advocating no religion. Bring him down!
    re·li·gion /rɪˈlɪdʒən/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ri-lij-uhn]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    –noun 1.a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. 2.a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion. 3.the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. 4.the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion. 5.the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith. 6.something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
    Atheism is a religion (first part of 1, and 6). It is also logically/philosophically contradictory.

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.