Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Marty and Miller Today

I just caught the end of an interview M&M had with some guy representing the Big 11 Network today. They were really taking it to him, so much so the Big 11 rep started losing his cool somewhat. It was a "good job out of them". Hopefully they will podcast the interview. Sorry if this was posted already.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 499
    Given: 450

Re: Marty and Miller Today

I listened to the whole thing. The interview was with the president of the Big 10 network. M&M ripped into him and he didn't do his homework to answer the questions. He used smoke screens and never backed up any of his denials.

@RandomGeoFacts

Speechless
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 293

Maybe his job will be short lived.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Big 10 Guy on Marty & Miller

Marty & Miller had the Big 10 TV guy on. Not a great interview because it got chaotic pretty quick.

However, I was pretty amazed at the Big 10 employee saying that mediacom could afford to eat the $1.10 that the Big 10 wants to charge for each subscriber. His logic is Mediacom is going to make money off the move to HDTV, selling advertising on the Big 10 network, etc. He proceeded to go after Mediacom for having a profit margin around 33% (his # not mine).

That is utter arrogance- where does he get off ripping Mediacom for making too much money? Last I looked mediacom, comcast, etc are all public company's and a big beneficiary of their profitability is their SHAREHOLDERS! I wish Marty & Ken would have asked him to explain the Big 10 TV's financial model. I'd like to know the profit margin the Big 10 Network plans on making before payouts to its 3 shareholder groups (Big 10 Conference, Fox Sports & 11 Big 10 Schools). It wouldn't surprise me if its way over 33%.

The other point the Big 10 TV guy kept making is fans want this product and Iowa fans have shown their interest over the years and it should be on the basic tier. That's the problem! Hawk fans have already been able to catch 8+ FB games and 25+ MBB games for free without the fear of their cable company or satelite company eventually passing through the cost to the consumer.

IMO its extremely arrogant for the Big 10 network to have a financial model based on the assumption that their supplier won't & shouldn't pass through additional costs. I did like it when the Big 10 guy said putting the Big 10 Network on a paid tier was unprecidented & Ken Miller immediately cited the NFL network.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Lets play "Jack that bill up"

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

That was an awesome interview! It's about time someone took those BTN guys to task. That's some arrogance forcing every cable company to put that channel on basic cable. Like the Mediacom caller said, what would all those hawk homers on their little tour say if they had to pay to put a Big XII network on basic cable? They wouldn't be one bit happy about it. If hawk fans need to see the 3 games that will be on that channel, make them pay for a sports package, don't make everyone pay year round.

I hope Mediacom and Comcast stand up to Delaney. He's an arrogant *****.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

Darn, I am sorry I missed it, a friend called me and told me to listen to it, but something was broken at work and I could not get to it. I was going to listen to the rebroadcast, but I forgot. I would have loved to hear it, for the first time ever, I agree with Marty!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 175

M @ M vs. Silverman (big ten network)

Marty and Miller raked this guy over the coals yesterday. They nailed him on forcing this network on a vast majority that don't want it, strong arming the small cable companies to signup, lying about talks with Mediacom, and having no coverage yet in any of the big cities in the big ten areas. Some of the most enjoyable radio in a long time.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Re: M @ M vs. Silverman (big ten network)

Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    Marty and Miller raked this guy over the coals yesterday. They nailed him on forcing this network on a vast majority that don't want it, strong arming the small cable companies to signup, lying about talks with Mediacom, and having no coverage yet in any of the big cities in the big ten areas. Some of the most enjoyable radio in a long time.
    Those two often really know their stuff. The way the introduced the guest yesterday was classic, Ripped him a new one while he was listening and then brought him in live. Pollardesque balls.

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Personally I'm not behind either party in this fight. Cable company's have a monopoly and they fill basic cable with channels that pad their bottom line. They love to package channels that consumers demand with other garbage that further pads their bottom line. The loser is ultimately the consumer.

The only solution that I can see is an ala carte plan that allows consumers to subscribe to individual channels. Unfortunately the cable monopolies have to much money and influence on congress for this to happen.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    Personally I'm not behind either party in this fight. Cable company's have a monopoly and they fill basic cable with channels that pad their bottom line. They love to package channels that consumers demand with other garbage that further pads their bottom line. The loser is ultimately the consumer.

The only solution that I can see is an ala carte plan that allows consumers to subscribe to individual channels. Unfortunately the cable monopolies have to much money and influence on congress for this to happen.
    A monopoly? Ever heard of Directv or Dish Network?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

M&M need to podcast that one. I did not get to hear it, and I am sorry I missed it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    There is only one choice for cable in my community. Although the satellite company's offer a form of competition. They all have a similar structure of how they package the product. Therefore, consumers are forced to pay for channels they have no interest in watching.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    There is only one choice for cable in my community. Although the satellite company's offer a form of competition. They all have a similar structure of how they package the product. Therefore, consumers are forced to pay for channels they have no interest in watching.
    I wish the satellite/cable companies would let us pick the actual channels we want. 50cents/month per channel or something like that. You want 200 channels or do you only want 30 channels you pick them and you pay for only what you want.

I don't go to the grocery store and to buy milk and have to take store brand pop or cereal along with it. I buy only what I want.

When I rule the world it'll be a whole lot better!

Go Clones!!
    Gig 'em Aggies!!
    Saw 'em off!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 140
    Given: 88

Quote Originally Posted by cys_av8r View Post
    The cable vs. satellite game is getting another player (not that it will do much to drive prices down). Yesterday, I got a flyer in the mail from AT&T indicating that fiber optic service is coming to my neighborhood.

I don't have cable TV or dish, as I get plenty of OTA HD channels here. However, the fiber optic prices looked pretty high to me. I do have cable Internet, but it didn't look like AT&T was offering any fiber-optic data-only plans, just TV+Data plans.

To me, it looks like all of these technologies are are going fix their pricing at about the same rates for similar packages, so there really is no practical competition...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy