Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 9

Cal Game

I know UNI is next and will be a tough game. Cal is looming on the horizon...Cal has beat New Mexico (Alford) by 25 and Temple (#21). Lost an ugly game at Notre Dame. They appear to have a lot of size. Mike Montgomery is the coach. This could be a really good test for our team. The schedule is picking up!

Bench Warmer
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Cal Game

Quote Originally Posted by nfrine View Post
    I know UNI is next and will be a tough game. Cal is looming on the horizon...Cal has beat New Mexico (Alford) by 25 and Temple (#21). Lost an ugly game at Notre Dame. They appear to have a lot of size. Mike Montgomery is the coach. This could be a really good test for our team. The schedule is picking up!
    UNI won't be a tough game.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 90

Quote Originally Posted by simesclone View Post
    I disagree.

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 93

A team with capable bigs and experienced guards that can both shoot and defend the three pointer is a team that will give this ISU team fits.

We just don't have a deep enough bench to get into a game where 25+ team fouls get called.

I don't know when we are going to see "that" team, but Cal is going to be an extremely tough game.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,065
    Given: 566

As well as this team has performed, I wouldn't chalk up any game as a win just yet. They need to continue to improve, and take it one game at a time. I'll be thrilled if we can beat UNI on the road.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 409
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Die4Cy View Post
    A team with capable bigs and experienced guards that can both shoot and defend the three pointer is a team that will give this ISU team fits.
    Those teams give everyone fits. Cal is young and can't shoot. Will still be a tough game.

Rookie
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I disagree...

While we have had a nice beginning, we are 5-0 at home, and a 1-0 on a neutral court in a very close game. This will be a test playing on the road in a small arena.

Don't get me wrongl we win, but I think it will be a test as Creighton was.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,278
    Given: 1,114

We just don't have a deep enough bench to get into a game where 25+ team fouls get called.

I don't know when we are going to see "that" team, but Cal is going to be an extremely tough game.
    Essentially, then, a team that can excel all over the court will give us trouble, because they're an excellent team. That works.

Our guard play will keep us in a lot of games for the first time in forever. I don't want to be overconfident and predict an undefeated season, but we'll be feisty and competitive, that team that never goes away.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    As well as this team has performed, I wouldn't chalk up any game as a win just yet. They need to continue to improve, and take it one game at a time. I'll be thrilled if we can beat UNI on the road.
    I was at the game last year in Berkley and for the most part we were not in the game. Cal had a good balance of speed and BIGS, but they weren't overpowering inside. It was their manner in which they got out and ran that led to our demise. I am not saying it is an automatic win, but I give this team better than a 50/50 shot against anyone they play at home.

Jake's hustle style has been infectious on this team, and that creates problms for other teams. It is frustrating to have a 6'2" guard get the ball off the boards time after time. It isn't easy to defend the Cyclones either. Think about it. We have 5 people that can shoot from the perimeter. That's tough to defend. So when so many people say we'll have trouble inside against tough BIGS (ala KU and the freak twins) I say they scout us and scratch their heads and discuss how to stop us.

Are we a top 25 team? I honestly am beginning to think we just might be. Can we get beat? Heck yes we can, but this team can play with anyone and stay in a game.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,278
    Given: 1,114

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    I was at the game last year in Berkley and for the most part we were not in the game. Cal had a good balance of speed and BIGS, but they weren't overpowering inside. It was their manner in which they got out and ran that led to our demise. I am not saying it is an automatic win, but I give this team better than a 50/50 shot against anyone they play at home.

Jake's hustle style has been infectious on this team, and that creates problms for other teams. It is frustrating to have a 6'2" guard get the ball off the boards time after time. It isn't easy to defend the Cyclones either. Think about it. We have 5 people that can shoot from the perimeter. That's tough to defend. So when so many people say we'll have trouble inside against tough BIGS (ala KU and the freak twins) I say they scout us and scratch their heads and discuss how to stop us.

Are we a top 25 team? I honestly am beginning to think we just might be. Can we get beat? Heck yes we can, but this team can play with anyone and stay in a game.
    That Cal game was frustrating. I remember that the crowd on TV seemed really small, and it seemed like only one team showed up.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Pro
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 93

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Essentially, then, a team that can excel all over the court will give us trouble, because they're an excellent team. That works.

Our guard play will keep us in a lot of games for the first time in forever. I don't want to be overconfident and predict an undefeated season, but we'll be feisty and competitive, that team that never goes away.

We've got lots of excellent teams on the schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited about how well ISU has played. But we have relied a lot on the three ball and the fast break to get our wins so far, and I think that stuff is there due to a differential in talent between State and the teams we have faced. Will we be able to expect that as the schedule toughens up? I just don't know yet.

Next two weeks will tell us a lot. I keep pushing the Kool-ade away, but every Wednesday and Saturday it seems like a new pitcher is sitting right there. I want to try and stay realistic about my expectations for this team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

I watched the Cal game on TV the other night. This does not appear to be the same team as we played last year...nor are we. They play very slow half court sets. We can outrun this team and beat them with hustle.

As for UNI I have yet to watch them play but they lost their leaders from last year although I expect them to play us tough but we should win.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

I think the game was in a tourny and so I don't think it was on their home floor...The crowd was horrible...

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We've got lots of excellent teams on the schedule.

Don't get me wrong, I am excited about how well ISU has played. But we have relied a lot on the three ball and the fast break to get our wins so far, and I think that stuff is there due to a differential in talent between State and the teams we have faced. Will we be able to expect that as the schedule toughens up? I just don't know yet.

Next two weeks will tell us a lot. I keep pushing the Kool-ade away, but every Wednesday and Saturday it seems like a new pitcher is sitting right there. I want to try and stay realistic about my expectations for this team.
    Agree. We will die by the three on several occasions this season for sure. What is reassuring is that Garrett is the only one returning player coming off a healthy season. This team is still learning to play together. I think we'll lose a couple ugly games to lesser opponents, but I think there will be games where we click and steal wins from better teams too.

I'm hoping our up tempo style gives teams fits the way Missouri has recently.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 19

We very well could be 6-2 in a week.

1 game at a time.