Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 147

Twister Sister Summary - WVU hands ISU first loss

This is a hard summary to write knowing that our ladies in red worked hard to bring home a victory and nearly everything didn't go right. It resulted in a 65-53 loss to WVU. Two things that I've been dreading came out again to bite us - free throw shooting and the play of the bigs. More on this later.

The Twister Sisters definitely came out slugging but WVU hit harder. The one thing WVU wasn't known for doing, and what ISU was willing to let them have, is what set them apart from our women. The three point shot is exactly what pushed WVU in front and it seemed to keep them in front most of the first half and the entire game. WVU shot a very uncharacteristic 40 percent and made ten deep ones. In contrast, the Sisters must have used up their three point karma yesterday as they only made 2 for the game.

The ladies fell behind early by 6 and it seemed that margin would move down to 3 and then zip right back up to 6 and even 8 before ISU hit a scoring drought from the field and the line while WVU started to pull away. The most critical stat of the game was offensive rebound margin and points off those rebounds. WVU pulled down 17, yes SEVENTEEN, offensive boards and got 21 second chance points from them. It seemed every time ISU got a good defensive stop, the weak side rebounding wasn't there. It was one of those physical games in which we were the victims and WVU took advantage. Second chance margin was 21-3 in favor of WVU. That is huge people.

This game was incredibly physical and afterwards Coach Fennelly said he told the ladies that this is exactly what the Big-12 would be like. During one short period of time, Pop hit the floor twice and we saw her head bounce from the contact. After the second time she had blood running down her arm and had to be tended to.

All other stats really didn't make as much difference as the rebounding (we were out rebounded 40-22 which amazed me) and the resulting second chance points. Our other achilles heel, free throw shooting didn't help either. The women again shot poorly as they only made 13 out of 20 shots for a 65 percent clip. That just isn't good enough and is very uncharacteristic of an ISU squad. When you consider the number of those misses that were the front of a one and one…the percentage is even worse since we didn't get the chance for the second shot.

Bolte again led the way for the Sisters, but it just wasn't enough. She again scored in double digits (13) and was a key rebounder and made one of the two three point shots. Wouldn't you know the one day when Pop was hitting her shots she wouldn't be supported by the rest of the team. Pop tallied 10 points but only had 3 boards. Prins had 3 boards and only scored 2 points during the last 30 minutes of the game. Zimm had 1 board. Seven boards from this group won't cut it down the road. A big part of this had to do with being outhustled and outfought by a very aggressive team. There is a reason that senior dominated WVU is rated 10th. They showed it today.

I view this game as a good lesson learned. Like our coach I hate losing. I want our ladies to win them all, but realize that isn't realistic. I firmly feel our coaching staff will work with the women between now and the 5th (some good rest will also be included) to improve in all facets of the game. Most of us probably believed that going 2-1 in this tough tournament would be a good accomplishment due to our inexperience. I'm one of those.

Two more tough tests await us. Michigan is next followed by a visit to Iowa. Michigan is a relative unknown right now. The one score that stands out to me is a narrow loss to Xavier (9 points). Yes, the #5 rated team in the country. We all know about Iowa. As much as some don't like Bluder, she has begun to build a power in iowa City. They are unbeaten but have yet to play anyone of a high caliber. The tests ISU faced these past three days will harden them in a way that Iowa has yet to understand or experience.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Re: Twister Sister Summary - WVU hands ISU first loss

I think if this was a regular season game, or a post-season tournament game, the outcome may have been different. I think the team would have had more preparation and fresher legs. Many will point to our offense for this game, but I think the zone defense was more of an issue - gave WV too many wide open 3s and was not helpful to our rebounding, WV simply had too many possessions and offensive put backs, and ISU could have used more. Though I am sure BF had his reasons.

NOTE: ISU did score more than TCU and VA did against WV.

WV is probably a top ten team, and ISU proved itself to be a top-25 team by its performances against Virginia and TCU. I honestly look for WV to move up in the polls, and ISU will probably stay the same or move up slightly. What bewilders me is with such a senior dominated and experienced team, other than this tourney, WV has one of the most pansy non-cons I have seen.

2 and 1 given the caliber of teams to play in 3 consecutive days is a good outcome. Way to go team. I was impressed with the level of fight, keep it up. Beat Michigan and Iowa.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    As much as some don't like Bluder, she has begun to build a power in iowa City.
    Could be true, but yet to be proven. A few NCAA berths and WNITs do not exemplify a power. Recruits look good. And let's not forget, her success the last few years has been in a down Big 10.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,059
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    IMany will point to our offense for this game, but I think the zone defense was more of an issue .
    Bill used the zone to keep WVU's inside game from eating us alive. He was willing to give up the 3 to a team who historically doesn't make them. I'd also say that our adjustments/movement in the zone wasn't very crisp - i.e. fresh legs.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I for one am very proud of the team. We have to remember WVU returned all five starters from last year's team that set a school record for wins (29) and finished second only to UConn in their conference. They are a legit Final Four contender and we hung tough with them and only lost by 11 points even though we played with mostly sophomores and freshmen. I know I know, moral victory, etc. etc., but this will make us a stronger team, especially important so we can beat down Michigan and Iowa in the next two games....

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Could be true, but yet to be proven. A few NCAA berths and WNITs do not exemplify a power. Recruits look good. And let's not forget, her success the last few years has been in a down Big 10.

I agree twistedredbird. There is no way Iowa is a "power". Have they ever been to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16? I don't even remember. Do they play in the Top RPI conference? Definitely not.

Michigan hung tough against top-5 Xavier so I predict we will beat them by 7 because of heroic 3-point shooting at Hilton. And I think we'll beat Iowa by 18 on the road. They can't handle our size and versatility and strength. Then we enter the pansy section of our non-conf slate and we'll enter Big 12 season a solid Top 15 team. Just my predictions!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 239

Quote Originally Posted by NYCy View Post
    I agree twistedredbird. There is no way Iowa is a "power". Have they ever been to the Elite 8 or Sweet 16? I don't even remember. Do they play in the Top RPI conference? Definitely not.

Michigan hung tough against top-5 Xavier so I predict we will beat them by 7 because of heroic 3-point shooting at Hilton. And I think we'll beat Iowa by 18 on the road. They can't handle our size and versatility and strength. Then we enter the pansy section of our non-conf slate and we'll enter Big 12 season a solid Top 15 team. Just my predictions!
    The last time we played Iowa in IC, we got bombed by 20 - let's hope we can make up for that this time.
    I'm confused by this build up of Michigan - they are not a good program. Texas A&M just blew them out in Cancun, and they also lost to Marquette by 10.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by NYCy View Post

Please note - I said "building" a power. I also said they hadn't played anyone yet. I also realize as another poster said that they give us a tough go everytime. I fear them much more than Michigan as Michigan is a very average team at best so far this year with only one test at home. Don't take Iowa lightly....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 189
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 851
    Given: 712

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    Please note - I said "building" a power. I also said they hadn't played anyone yet. I also realize as another poster said that they give us a tough go everytime. I fear them much more than Michigan as Michigan is a very average team at best so far this year with only one test at home. Don't take Iowa lightly....

We can't take Iowa lightly because it is their "Super Bowl" when they play us!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    I don't care who you are...that there is just plain funny!

Starter
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    It seems like just a few years ago that Iowa with C Vivian Stringer was the only program in the state and we were barely a team (nothing personal against Pam Wettig,et al) but what Bill has done here and that he seems to be happy to stay right here is one of the best things to happen to ISU!!

Clone4ever

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonefarmer View Post
    It seems like just a few years ago that Iowa with C Vivian Stringer was the only program in the state and we were barely a team (nothing personal against Pam Wettig,et al) but what Bill has done here and that he seems to be happy to stay right here is one of the best things to happen to ISU!!
    Yes! Well that is an understatement! : ) In a couple decades Coach Fen has averaged 22 wins per season, has taken 5 teams to the Sweet 16 and 2 teams to the Elite 8, and 14 teams to the NCAA tourney, and has established the third highest home game attendance (fan base) in the nation (behind only UConn and Tennessee). He was runner-up for National AP Coach of the Year (finishing second behind Tennessee's Pat Summit). And the ISU President gave him a lifetime contract. This success puts our program in the very highest elite group of programs that many others strive to emulate. And I think there are many in the women's basketball world who hope and believe Coach Fen has a National Championship saved up somewhere in his career, so maybe the best is yet to come. GO CYCLONES!

Walk On
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

We will have to play very well and be a little lucky to beat the Iowa ladies.

Go Cyclones!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bhutch65 View Post
    We will have to play very well and be a little lucky to beat the Iowa ladies.

Go Cyclones!
    I think it will all come down to playing good perimeter defense and the Bigs showing up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,001
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 163

One item not really covered as BF can not make public comments was the officals for this game were some of the worst I have seen. Hope this is not what we will get the rest of the year. One offical made most of the calls and this was more of a wrestling match than a basketball game. I do not know what was shown on TV but I was there and it was rough play by WV even more than Big 12 ball.