Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,607
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 89

Synopsis of our team thus far this season (LONG)

Last year I did an early season synopsis of our players and how they seem to be progressing throughout the first few games. It seemed to be taken quite well and was appreciated by a lot of people that don’t get to see most of the games, so I thought I would do it again.

I don’t claim to be a basketball savant, but I live 4 blocks from Hilton and go to every game as well as watch extensive amounts of college basketball so I don’t consider myself to be a slouch either ;).

Jake Anderson – This guy has really impressed me thus far. Coming into the season I was extremely happy with the addition of Jake because he gave us exactly what we need without tying up a scholarship for a future 4 year player. He gives us an immediate slashing guard that can hit the offensive glass as well as some definite leadership on the floor. So far this season he has given us exactly that. He is also arguably our best defender and has done a great job shutting down the opposing teams’ best player.

Scott Christopherson- Just keeps improving. We always knew he was a reliable deep threat, but he is steadily improving other aspects of his game as well. He seems to be much more active defensively than in the past and has really done a good job with pump fakes and getting the ball into the lane. I look forward to seeing him continue to improve throughout the season. You can just tell the guy is a gym rat and takes pride in draining the shot when he’s left open.

Melvin Ejim- Ejim is going to be a star at ISU. He’s a big time player with big time skills. He reminds me a lot of Rahshon Clark, but has a better handle and shot. He’s going to be a double double machine going forward with his career. He’s played like a man amongst boys this season and I can’t wait to see how he stacks up against some of the B12’s best as a true freshman. Get excited for this kid, he’s going to be a great one.

Diante Garrett- I’ve been a long time supporter of Diante and always got frustrated when people ragged on him in the past. The talent has always been there (for those who could see past the losing), he was just never given an opportunity to flourish. Hoiberg stated at one time that DG has the skills to be an NBA point guard and I could not agree more. He’s got an amazing handle and seems to be running this offense perfectly once he was actually given the reigns (as most PG’s should be – ahem Greg). He is also the definite leader on the floor. Look for him to have a GREAT year. His shot looks completely different, more fluid than it ever has and he has gotten rid of the “Will Blalock knee bend.”

Calvin Godfrey- Calvin has been the biggest surprise to me so far this season. He has a B12 ready body and is ready to mix it up with the big boys. He reminds me a lot of Oklahoma State player Marshall Moses if anyone remembers him. He’s slightly undersized for the position, but is built like a rock and doesn’t give an inch to anybody. I think he’s blocked something like 4 3-Pointers this season already, so he can guard the perimeter great as well. I look forward to having him around for 4 years! He’s a great asset to have ready to bring off the bench and is an excellent change of pace to JVB.

Eric McKnight- I kept hearing about Eric’s athleticism prior to the season and heard he was pretty raw, maybe had too high of expectations for him. He is VERY raw. He runs the floor very well though and plays good defense when he is given a chance to get in the game. He could be a good player for us in a couple years, normally he would have been given a redshirt, but we don’t have a lot of big guys on our roster so it’s not an option. He seems to be a team player and always has a smile on his face. I could see him being a contributor as a Junior or Senior, but will need to improve. I look forward to watching him progress.

Bubu Palo- All the hype surrounding Bubu is actually merited. I kept my expectations quite low for him even though he was talked up quite a bit because of his performance in the Cap City League. He’s legit and will definitely get minutes throughout the rest of his ISU career. He’s not just a Cam Lee who is going to come in and work his butt off in garbage time, he will see significant minutes all season. He comes in with a full tank of gas and seems to have a separate gear than everyone else on the floor, while still playing within the flow of the game.

DeMarcus Phillips- I’m hoping that the broken hand really set him back. He just doesn’t seem to be in the flow of the game and his shot never seems to be in rhythm. He seems to hang his head a lot and has really yet to impress me. You can see that he has the physical tools to be a big time contributor, but I just haven’t seen it yet. Hopefully he gets his legs under him and steps it up.

Jordan Railey- Pretty similar to Justin Hamilton his freshman year. Not really a reliable offensive post player, but is usually in pretty good position on defense and rebounds the ball, or keeps the ball alive, a lot. Normally he would probably be someone who wouldn’t see much time as a Freshman or Sophomore, but given the situation we are in he will see the floor. He could be a good player for us as a Junior/Senior.

Jamie Vanderbeken- Doesn’t hesitate hoisting up the open three and I love it. He is a match up nightmare for opposing teams and as I aforementioned is a great change of pace guy compared to Godfrey. He has rebounded quite well this year and looks better at putting the ball on the floor than he has in the past.

Hopefully this gives you out of state guys a little more info on the players and what you can expect to see once we get more games on TV. I also want to add how into the games our scout team gets and how much fun they look to be having. I saw, and heard (I sit just up from them in the parquet), those guys yelling encouragement and even heard Royce yell out some plays the opposition was running and how to guard them better.

The future is bright for a change!!!!

Let me know if you guys like reading this, I could post stuff like this more often if so.

-cyfan964

Last edited by cyfan964; 11-27-2010 at 05:07 PM.

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Synopsis of our team thus far this season (LONG)

Ejim, at this point, can't defend half as well as Rahshon could though.

Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

And thank you Stumpy for this:

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post
    Calvin Godfrey- Calvin has been the biggest surprise to me so far this season. He has a B12 ready body and is ready to mix it up with the big boys. He reminds me a lot of former Oklahoma State player Marshall Moses if anyone remembers him. Hes slightly undersized for the position, but is built like a rock and doesnt give an inch to anybody. I think hes blocked something like 4 3-Pointers this season already, so he can guard the perimeter great as well. I look forward to having him around for 4 years! Hes a great asset to have ready to bring off the bench and is an excellent change of pace to JVB.

-cyfan964
    All-in-all very good breakdown, but Moses still plays at Okie State. I just watched him play against VTech yesterday. I hope he ends up like Moses, dude is a beast.

Yep, this thread has just been pwned.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by sodakjoe View Post
    Ejim, at this point, can't defend half as well as Rahshon could though.
    Ejim did a pretty damn good job on MSU's best player today.

Addict
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 161
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 42

Tough for Phillips to get minutes when DG, Ejim, and Jake Anderson are playing so well. I'm not worried about him. He'll get his chances as the season progresses.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,607
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by rhillary View Post
    All-in-all very good breakdown, but Moses still plays at Okie State. I just watched him play against VTech yesterday. I hope he ends up like Moses, dude is a beast.
    Duly noted. I thought he was a senior last year, my mistake. I see a lot of similarities in their games.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Bubu has to be shooting like 30% this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 39

Thanks for the quick run down on the team. I have seen a few games, on television, but don't know much other than it seems we have been playing well.

Cyclone Sports: The next best thing since MOTHER'S MILK!

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    Tough for Phillips to get minutes when DG, Ejim, and Jake Anderson are playing so well. I'm not worried about him. He'll get his chances as the season progresses.
    I'm fine with holding him in reserve. We'll need him later when we need to pick up the pace of the game. It will be nice to finally have a tiny amount of depth on the roster.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Rookie
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

It's funny, but Ejim does not really remind me of Rashon Clark at all. Clark was a high-flier looking for put backs and was freakishly athletic and used that to his advantage, more than basketball skill. His size, length and athleticism made him a tremendous defensive player. Ejim to me is a very high energy guy, but plays very smart and tough basketball offensively. He always seems to be in the right place and the right time and seems to be the guy coming up with the loose balls. He definitely is athletic and uses that to his advantage, but his basketball skill is way ahead of Clark's (as far as first year at ISU - I'd even argue he's more skilled now than Clark ever was at ISU). While their roles are somewhat similar in that both guys clean up the offensive glass and provided high energy, I think they play completely different. I agree that Ejim is going to be a star once he really gets into the system and becomes a more consistent player. Kid is so fun to watch.

Godfrey is gonna be a beast in his time at ISU. I think your synopsis was spot on with him. He is a bulldog down low - rebounding wise he is a bit like Kenny Pratt in that he is undersized, but knows how to use his body and position to excel. Both very smart rebounders.

I love this team - even as they start playing tough competition, if they keep up the energy, the spacing and movement on offense, and they keep gaining further understanding and better execution of Hoiberg's system they are going to be a tough out for most teams. No matter the number of games they win this year they are still gonna be a fun team to follow.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 45

I vote no for enjoying reading that, and don't post long obvious stuff again. Sorry, but you did ask.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by cyfan964 View Post

Melvin Ejim- Ejim is going to be a star at ISU. Hes a big time player with big time skills. He reminds me a lot of Rahshon Clark, but has a better handle and shot. Hes going to be a double double machine going forward with his career. Hes played like a man amongst boys this season and I cant wait to see how he stacks up against some of the B12s best as a true freshman. Get excited for this kid, hes going to be a great one.

-cyfan964
    Melvin reminds me more of Jeff Grayer as a freshman. He could be that good!

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

One cool thing is Hoiberg said the scout team just dominated the starters in practice the other day. Playing extremely tough competition in practice has been keeping the starters and others playing really sharp. I just hope going up against the scout team doesn't start to run our guys down as the year goes on. Right now the team looks fresh, lets hope they stay playing aggressive and loose.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JRE1975 View Post
    Melvin reminds me more of Jeff Grayer as a freshman. He could be that good!
    I'm really hoping that we have the jersey numbers of some of these kids hanging from the rafters in Hilton someday.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 851
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    I feel bad for Phillips. He was a stud in HS and in CC, he would be getting more minutes not if it wasn't for his broken hand. Give him time, we will need him!!!!