Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Recruiting question

Ok I've never seen any questions like this here. My "little" brother is starting to get some letters from schools for football and I think he's got some interest in coming to ISU. Right now he's got letters from K-State and a couple of MAC schools. I've got some selfish reasons for getting him noticed at ISU (gives me an excuse for buying season tickets). So how do I help him get noticed?

In case anybody is wondering he's a OL prospect and will be a senior next year. He's 6'7" 310 and bench presses somewhere north of 500lbs. I think he's got a shot at being a D1 player.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Recruiting question

Videos... his stats.... and send it to Rhoads and Company talk to the coaches on the O-Line...AFTER THE SEASON IS OVER.

Watch the O-line moves..... concentrate on his position and how to better himself... and then when he gets a look at.... push that to the extreme and make a showing forhimself.... O-Line...hands, feet, hands, feet hands....... agility, mobility... and dedication to improve..... work on that... after the season is over ... tehn tell him to see the O-Line for suggestions....

Last edited by Dave19642006; 11-27-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

Since he's a junior, coaches can't talk to him. But what I would do if I was your brother, is send out emails to potential schools after his Junior year is over. Also attending lots of camps will help get his name out there.

As for what you can do, there are such sites as berecruited.com. I know its used quite a bit out here in the NE but my experience with it is on the DIII level not DI.

These are just my experiences with track, not football so they might not apply as much. Hope it helps.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We can't help too much with the process, as people on this site are considered boosters. That being said, the thing to do would be to contact CPR and his staff.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    Videos... his stats.... and send it to Rhoads and Company talk to the coaches on the O-Line...AFTER THE SEASON IS OVER.

Watch the O-line moves..... concentrate on his position and how to better himself... and then when he gets a look at.... push that to the extreme and make a showing forhimself.... O-Line...hands, feet, hands, feet hands....... agility, mobility... and dedication to improve..... work on that... after the season is over ... tehn tell him to see the O-Line for suggestions....
    If you haven't already see if you can get a family member to go to the game and record him. In my videos a stand makes a heck of a difference. No need to zoom in directly on him, enough to see the line, and follow him around. Then after a couple games or the season compile these and look for great blocking, pulling etc. I used the program windows movie maker. Upload the film to your computer and go through and editing clips you do and don't want. Start it off with a couple MS paint slides of his stats and a picture.

Hope this helps a little, but overall these are not real hard to do. I am sure someone in your family has a digital recorder, or someone on the team.

Starter
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 64
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Send him to the ISU summer football camp - he'll get exposure to the entire coaching staff.

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,230
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 8

Just make sure he doesn't end up in Kansas...worst state ever.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,208
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 42

Hope he's playing basketball too. It develops hand eye coordination and foot work as well. And at 6'7, they could probably use him...

Walking on water is easy. Just do it in December when it's frozen.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrods79 View Post
    Just make sure he doesn't end up in Kansas...worst state ever.
    That was what I told him too.

Addict
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

The two coaches that you'd probably want to notice him are Bliel (OL) and Messingham, who I believe recruits that part of Iowa.

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

At 6'7", your brother is an offensive tackle prospect. CPR is going after very athletic offensive linemen for the offensive tackle position - in the 2011 class he has OT commits from basketball star Brock Dagel and H.S. TE/DE Jamison Lalk. Those two are 6'7" and 6'6" respectively and about 240-250 lbs. In 2010 we signed OL 6'6" 255 lbs Jacob Gannon and OL 6'5" 275 lb Ben Loth, and in 2009 we signed OL 6'6" 245 lbs Kyle Lichtenberg.

A 310-lb OT prospect is quite heavier than what the ISU coaches are looking for. If his body fat composition is over 20%, then he's carrying too much unusable weight and should get down to this level to maximize his speed and quickness. The more speed and quickness that your brother can show in camps will impress the coaches more than his weight and strength.

A 500-lb bench press is impressive but it doesn't translate well to success at D1 football. What will impress the coaches more and improve his lineman play is if he has great hip power and flexibility and can parallel squat 500-lbs and clean over 300-lbs. A D1 OT prospect should be on a strength & conditioning regiment similar to this one:
    Bigger Faster Stronger - High School Athletic Weight Training Programs and Equipment

I also recommend him attending early football camps at other universities before he attends ISU's. If ISU's camp is one of the first ones that he's attended, then he'll be behind on technique.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 534
    Given: 342

Quote Originally Posted by usedcarguy View Post
    Hope he's playing basketball too. It develops hand eye coordination and foot work as well. And at 6'7, they could probably use him...
    Go to the clone athletic banquet.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 204
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISU2010 View Post
    At 6'7", your brother is an offensive tackle prospect. CPR is going after very athletic offensive linemen for the offensive tackle position - in the 2011 class he has OT commits from basketball star Brock Dagel and H.S. TE/DE Jamison Lalk. Those two are 6'7" and 6'6" respectively and about 240-250 lbs. In 2010 we signed OL 6'6" 255 lbs Jacob Gannon and OL 6'5" 275 lb Ben Loth, and in 2009 we signed OL 6'6" 245 lbs Kyle Lichtenberg.

A 310-lb OT prospect is quite heavier than what the ISU coaches are looking for. If his body fat composition is over 20%, then he's carrying too much unusable weight and should get down to this level to maximize his speed and quickness. The more speed and quickness that your brother can show in camps will impress the coaches more than his weight and strength.

A 500-lb bench press is impressive but it doesn't translate well to success at D1 football. What will impress the coaches more and improve his lineman play is if he has great hip power and flexibility and can parallel squat 500-lbs and clean over 300-lbs. A D1 OT prospect should be on a strength & conditioning regiment similar to this one:
    Bigger Faster Stronger - High School Athletic Weight Training Programs and Equipment

I also recommend him attending early football camps at other universities before he attends ISU's. If ISU's camp is one of the first ones that he's attended, then he'll be behind on technique.
    I think he'd be a pretty good fit for Herman's scheme, they are already running a run heavy spread option similar to what we've ran the last two years. He was a basketball player but gave that up last year because he was getting burnt out. He also got a black belt in karate in middle school. I only got down to see him play once and he looks quick.

He's actually a pretty lean 310. Most guys that size have a noticeable gut hanging over his belt he doesn't. I mentioned the bench because that's the most recent school lifting record he broke but he's got school records in bench, parallel squat and one other lift. I think he was about 6 inches short of a Missouri state record in shot put as a sophomore.

Thanks for all the input. Being from Missouri if he played at a bigger school Mizzou would be all over him I think but they don't bother offering kids from smaller in-state schools they ones they want get asked to come as a preferred walk-on because no out of state schools bother recruiting them. They did that with a DE from my old high school a couple years ago who had 18 sacks his senior year. He did that only playing the first half of games until the play-offs because they only had 2 touchdowns scored on them the whole regular season.

He told me Thursday given the chance his two top choices were ISU since I'm an alum and Mizzou since that's in state. Like I said before he's getting letters from a couple of the directional Michigan schools in the MAC and K-State. Last summer he got invited to a recruiting dinner in Des Moines that I think was put on by Rivals. I'm pretty sure he'll be playing on Saturday's I just hope I can steer him to help out the clones.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,424
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129

Does he have long arms?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 534
    Given: 342

What is his 40?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.