Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Johnny Orr on Cotlar

Johnny was on this morning and was as entertaining as always. One thing he said that made me think was that the basketball program would not have had the turmoil of the past several years had they promoted Jim Hallihan to head coach when Johnny retired.

Here are my thoughts on the issue:

PRO:

1.) Hallihan is a class act and would not have subjected the program to any of the major offenses Orr's successors did. (Flirting with the NBA, losing players for bad grades, drunk in public, poor player retention, lack of discipline, scheduling controversy, et cetera.)

2.) As far as coaching abilities, Hallihan managed X's and O's for Johnny and the other assistants did most of the heavy lifting in recruiting and player development. Promoting Jim would have made a very easy transition without a rebuilding process. Won/loss records should have stayed consistent instead of great years mixed with terribly embarrasing years.

CON:

1.) Won/loss records should have stayed consistent instead of great years mixed with terribly embarrasing years. Hallihan would not likely have led us to the depths of the league, but could he have gotten us to the heights of being within spitting distance of the final four? Back to back league championships? Several wins in Allen Fieldhouse?

2.) Would ISU have as much national recognition as we now do? Winning in the good years, sending a coach to the NBA, firing coaches in controversy, hiring a young stud coach with unlimited potential, have all contributed to our arrival on the national scene. Even the bad publicity was still publicity.

3.) Would there be the level of excitement right now regarding the program and its new coaches and players if we had maintained instead of riding a rollercoaster for so many years? Would we have a chance to hire Coach McDermott and his staff? Would the Craig Brackens' of the world be signing with ISU?

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0
    As much as I love Johnny Orr, I would take the turnover problem with the success we had with Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy. We wouldn't have one the last Big Eight Tournoment, or the two Big XII titles.
    They haven;t posted it yet, but Larry Cotler's pod casts are at:
    http://www.kxno.com/cc-common/podcas...otmanscuts.xml

"If it was easy, someone else would have done it already." ISU Director of Athletics Jamie Pollard

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Thanks for the link.

It's hard to say what the program would have done with Hallihan at the helm. Maybe we wouldn't have those titles maybe we'd have more. Or the same. It's fun to speculate.

One other negative: Orr's teams were dominant at home, but weak on the road. That doesn't win titles in the Big Twelve.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 6

I love Johnny

But Hallihan wouldn't have succeeded. He was not a dynamic recruiter and I'm not sure he was that great a bench coach.

I don't think he ever had another interview for a coaching job after Johnny retired

Pro
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 127
    I agree. Hallihan was a good assistant, but I don't think he would have been a good head coach. I like the way things happened, with the exception of the last couple of years.

Go Cyclones!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 502
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Clone View Post
    But Hallihan wouldn't have succeeded. He was not a dynamic recruiter and I'm not sure he was that great a bench coach.

I don't think he ever had another interview for a coaching job after Johnny retired
    You sound pretty sure of yourself. Maybe you're right. He may not have been the best at selling the program to recruits and donors, but that role could fall to one of his assistants. Frequently, a head coach only has to show up later in the process and be the closer. Was Eustachy a dynamic recruiter or did he have a lot of help? He only visited at the end of recruitment, as all his travels were by RV. Even Floyd had help. Fizer recruited himself to ISU based on previous acquaintance. Morgan was a great recruiter, but lacked the game day skills and discipline.

Everything I've seen and heard with regard to bench coaching indicates that Hallihan did almost all the X's and O's while Johnny was more of an emotional leader. Doesn't this imply that Hallihan's bench skills were quite good? We did enjoy a lot of success under that staff.

I don't know whether he had many/any interviews for head coaching jobs afterwards, either, but that was at least partially by choice. He found another quality job as director of the Iowa Games almost immediately and didn't even have to leave Ames.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 265
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

I don't know whether he had many/any interviews for head coaching jobs afterwards, either, but that was at least partially by choice. He found another quality job as director of the Iowa Games almost immediately and didn't even have to leave Ames.
    If my memory serves me correctly he interviewed for the Drake men's basketball position, but he said he would only accept it under certain conditions and when Drake said they couldn't meet those conditions he took his name out of the running. I think with his experience he could have found a head coaching position at a small D1 school or a D2 school if he desired.

"THE SKIES SHALL RAIN BLOOD AND ALL THE WORLD SHALL QUAKE IN THE SHADOW OF THE CARDINAL AND GOLD!"