Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 165
    Given: 669

Remaining Schollie Slots

With seventeen "known" commitments, I thought I would take a look at what looks like (to me) the remaining needs for this class, both long and short term--in terms of players I know of being recruited. Which aren't all that many. I doubt that CPR will sign a full 25--unless there are some grayshirts.

Interestingly, Ben Bruns has mentioned repeatedly that this "will be" a defensive line heavy" class. With only two currently known to be committed, perhaps he knows something the rest of us don't.

1. Defensive Tackle

With three players who gathered a lot of playing time returning, having (at least) a fourth for the rotation is a necessity. That player may come from amongst the younger players, but Walton Taumoepeau is a big run stuffer at 6'4" 295 who offers a dimension that the returnees don't.

1A. Defensive Tackle
    I'll note that, although a December grad, Taumoepeau would only have two years of eligibility--and all of our experienced veterans inside will also be upperclassmen. Thus it's imperative to get some younger bodies into the program, so that at the least, after a redshirt they'll be in a position to contribute. In the mold of the first slot, Keithen English is a big body with whom Wally Burnham could build the future of the line around. If he doesn't pan out on D, he's a guard to upgrade the offense with. A win-win situation...if he can be convince to join CPR.

3. Defensive End

Maybe I'm just a greedy sonuvagun, but even with Rony Nelson joining the pack, and some decent returnees (along with a couple of nice recruits), I'd like to see another immediate impact player for the rotation. Or, are you going to try to tell me that you can have "too much" pass rush??? Another Samoan, Bojay Filimoeatu, could be the leading candidate that I am aware of. Well, unless you count Jared Ebert.

4. Safety

Yeah, I'm definitely greedy. After all, Deon Broomfield and Jacques Washington look like they'll develop into nice players, Durrell Givens comes off a redshirt, Earl Brooks will still be around, and I like the looks of Jared Brackens as a strong safety. However, T.J. McCullough didn't qualify, and it seems that all of last year's HS safety prospects are now working out at linebacker. And I don't see another David Sims anywhere on the roster, athletically or speed-wise, let alone as a playmaker. So I'm going to stick this one in here, without a candidate, just because I'm writing it and I can!

*I should note that some of these needs will doubtless carry over to the '12 Class, This may be one of them.

5. Cornerback
    I know, there are two already committed--but three will complete their eligibility next year. Besides, J.J. Gaines is still out there, and I like the look of him--and a few others less publicized.

6. Strongside Linebacker

This one I'll toss in because Matt Morton is the backup, A.J. Klein will be a junior--and all of those converted safeties kinda look more like weakside/nickel guys, with Boyd in the middle. I can't just randomly pick a name out of the confusion, so i'll leave this as a possibility. Hey, Tony Steward would work!*The good news is, that does it for the defense. Unless, of course, CPR manages to reel in a couple more defensive linemen. Cherries on top. As there will be something like six (at least) upperclassmen in the rotation, such a move (if possible) certainly wouldn't surprise me.

The offense, on the other hand, is a little more...straightforward.

7. Wide Receiver

Is anyone shocked? The only problem is, I can't pick an immediate contributor out of the crowd, and with so many '12 seniors, it would seem to be someone who would eb a role player, or redshirt for a year. This will doubtless be near the top of the needs for the '12 signing class--even if another signee joins Ecby.

8. Running Back
    I don't exactly agree with those who claim that the position is "well stocked". Sure, Rob Standard will be a nice addition, but I would like to see another talented player signed, just in case. Accidents do happen, after all.

9. Tight End
    Ernst Brun ameliorates the immediate need, but he, Hammerschmidt and Howard will all be upperclassmen next Fall. Another youngster to groom will be a priority, this class or next.

10. Offensive Line

Dagel, Lalk and Omiole get some more bodies into the pipeline, but I must admit that I would have been just as happy had the aforementioned English been recruited on the offensive side of the ball. For that matter, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if a juco offensive tackle were signed.

11. Quarterback
    Call this however you will. We'll all know more after Spring practice, but the coaches know more right now. One more QB, or amongst the '12 class, would probably be expected. File our recruitment of Joshua Grady --if he visits--wherever you please.

Okay--eleven spots, no more than eight slots theoretically remaining--heck yes, I think that I've successfully managed to illustrate CPR's ongoing problem--more needs than he can give schollies to fill!

Last edited by Aclone; 11-24-2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: sp

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.
    (They just disappear offseason)

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

Re: Remaining Schollie Slots

Runningback is pretty well stocked between Shontrelle, Hollis, Woody, and White.

Starter
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38

Couple of additions... When discussions are about the DL, don't forget to include Nick Kron (greyshirt) in this class. There is a Rivals video on K. English. Guy seriously needs to lose 40 pounds and replace it with some muscle. Recruit still being seriously looked at is LB Terran Williams (Southeast), Bradenton, Florida. Have also heard that coaches are very pleased with the progress of RS freshmen Brandon Jensen and Austin Krick and think that both will be significant contributors by their sophomore years.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    Runningback is pretty well stocked between Shontrelle, Hollis, Woody, and White.
    And Robert Standard. That should be PLENTY of RBs for a one back offense.

And if we don't have a decent QB on the roster next year between Tiller, Capello, Barnett, Richardson, and Daniels... then we need to quit handing out schollies to QBs that aren't any good.

We desperately need some young DTs. Right now we have Brandon Jensen and that's about it for young DTs. Walter Woods is still somewhat young, but still.... you get the idea. I take it Krick will be a DE, correct? He's only 225 lbs.

Rookie
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

What is the story on Krick? He got in for a couple series against Kansas and looked pretty good. He ran the KU running back down from behind on one play which was kind of impressive for a walk-on linemen. I do not believe he saw the field again after that brief stint. I thought he looked a lot taller than the 6-1 he is listed at on the roster.

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by JDDCy View Post
    What is the story on Krick? He got in for a couple series against Kansas and looked pretty good. He ran the KU running back down from behind on one play which was kind of impressive for a walk-on linemen. I do not believe he saw the field again after that brief stint. I thought he looked a lot taller than the 6-1 he is listed at on the roster.
    So Tony Steward signs when?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

Quote Originally Posted by bostrem00 View Post
    So Tony Steward signs when?
    I believe he and Jadeveon Clowney plan on signing together on signing day. That's second hand though so don't hold me to it.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116

Defense, defense, defense. We NEED defensive linemen

ABC - Always Be Closing

Speechless
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 413
    Given: 63

My guess is 4 more guys. Maybe 5. I think we are done at corner and safety. Between all the guys of last year and Richardsen, Brackens and Cotton(I am pretty sure he's going to be a DB) I think we are alright there. I think we are done on offense with Lampkin, Standard, Brun, Richardsen and Daniels who I maintain will end up a TE. If I am wrong there, great he will be a hell of a QB, but regardless I think he's an offensive player. The exception to being done on offense is an outside receiver. We need, need, need a big outside receiver. A Marquis Hamilton type. There is one that I think we end up getting this year. His name is Kori Babineaux. Now, on the defensive side, everything depends on what the Dlineman do. They are going to affect alot of things in this late part of recruiting. All of what i have said so far is assuming that the staff get's the numbers at Dline that I predict they want. I think they want 3 guys on the Dline. So, let's break this down March Madness style.

Last 4 in:
    Chaz Nelson (That right, the sacking firm of Nelson, Nelson, and Lattimer)
    Walton T.
    Keithen English
    Kori Babineaux
    Bojay
    First 5 out:
    Cam McDaniel
    Quenton Bundrage
    Kenneth Kirksey
    JJ Gaines
    Reggie Coates

Busters: These guys would really impact what we did.

JJ Gaines: I don't think he will be a committ. If he were to commit there is no doubt in my mind we would take him. I think he's too good to pass up.

Devondrick Nealy: I don't know for sure, but a couple weeks ago I thought he was very close to being a Michigan commit. Well, Michigan just got Justice Hayes and Dee Hart. There's no room for him there so I think we may be back in it and theres no way we could pass him up.

Armonze Daniel: Another guy we simply couldn't pass up even though we have a lot of LBers in the pipeline.

OK, I know everyone ******* about the Dline. I, however think we are in decent shape, especially if my guesses come true (they won't, don't worry). You have The JUCO Dends coming in. You can redshirt one and you have depth builders in Lemke and Irving for projects but you can give them sufficient time to develop. At DT, you bring in Walton and hopefully English as your depth builder and we return every piece from that position. From what I can see from English, if he pans out at DT, Aclone is right and you can build around him.

I am sure I am leaving something out here but when I look at the class from a position standpoint, I think we have positioned ourselves where, as long as we can get some sort of DT, we will be in good shape. I am confident we will get at least two of the Dlineman and I think Miller could be destined for Dline as well, but who knows, he could be the next AJ Klein. The best part of being where we are is we don't have to turn down a kid like JJ just because we have to fill a position.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 95

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    . . . JJ Gaines: I don't think he will be a committ. If he were to commit there is no doubt in my mind we would take him. I think he's too good to pass up.

Devondrick Nealy: . . . Michigan just got Justice Hayes and Dee Hart. There's no room for him there so I think we may be back in it and theres no way we could pass him up.

Armonze Daniel: Another guy we simply couldn't pass up even though we have a lot of LBers in the pipeline. . . .
    CPR, sometime in the last month on his call-in show, was asked about recruiting numbers at a position versus the option of signing a great player at a position without a great need. He said you always take a great player.

Other stuff: Early in the fall, CPR said the staff expected to sign around 22 players. A couple of weeks ago, he said 20. Hmmmmm. Only three to go?

Just looked at Iowa Western's roster, Jared Ebert's home town is Iowa City (groan). Maybe it's irrelevant; hope so. What a list of offers. Wow. Watched a bit of video, this big guy can run.

Last edited by CyValley; 11-25-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    Mankind, when left to themselves, are unfit for their own government.
    -George Washington

We, the People, are the problem. I knew it!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 568
    Given: 1,299

Quote Originally Posted by JDDCy View Post
    The story is that Cleyon Laing tore his jersey and had to put on a different number. Krick redshirted this year. But I think Laing can be one of the guys who didn't play a lot this year but takes a big step up for the D-Line next year.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 108

didnt keithen english sign with memphis?

This is Ophion speaking.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 145

Quote Originally Posted by demoncore1031 View Post
    didnt keithen english sign with memphis?
    I don't think he would be the first guy to change commitments before signing day.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 101
    Given: 108

Quote Originally Posted by RustShack View Post
    I don't think he would be the first guy to change commitments before signing day.
    true. i think this guy could be an athyba rubin type guy. a nice big body in the middle to stop the run. i think david irving is gonna be a beast after redshirting for a year and hitting the weight room really hard.

This is Ophion speaking.

All-Star
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    My guess is 4 more guys. Maybe 5. I think we are done at corner and safety. Between all the guys of last year and Richardsen, Brackens and Cotton(I am pretty sure he's going to be a DB) I think we are alright there. I think we are done on offense with Lampkin, Standard, Brun, Richardsen and Daniels who I maintain will end up a TE. If I am wrong there, great he will be a hell of a QB, but regardless I think he's an offensive player. The exception to being done on offense is an outside receiver. We need, need, need a big outside receiver. A Marquis Hamilton type. There is one that I think we end up getting this year. His name is Kori Babineaux. Now, on the defensive side, everything depends on what the Dlineman do. They are going to affect alot of things in this late part of recruiting. All of what i have said so far is assuming that the staff get's the numbers at Dline that I predict they want. I think they want 3 guys on the Dline. So, let's break this down March Madness style.

Last 4 in:
    Chaz Nelson (That right, the sacking firm of Nelson, Nelson, and Lattimer)
    Walton T.
    Keithen English
    Kori Babineaux
    Bojay
    First 5 out:
    Cam McDaniel
    Quenton Bundrage
    Kenneth Kirksey
    JJ Gaines
    Reggie Coates

Busters: These guys would really impact what we did.

JJ Gaines: I don't think he will be a committ. If he were to commit there is no doubt in my mind we would take him. I think he's too good to pass up.

Devondrick Nealy: I don't know for sure, but a couple weeks ago I thought he was very close to being a Michigan commit. Well, Michigan just got Justice Hayes and Dee Hart. There's no room for him there so I think we may be back in it and theres no way we could pass him up.

Armonze Daniel: Another guy we simply couldn't pass up even though we have a lot of LBers in the pipeline.

OK, I know everyone ******* about the Dline. I, however think we are in decent shape, especially if my guesses come true (they won't, don't worry). You have The JUCO Dends coming in. You can redshirt one and you have depth builders in Lemke and Irving for projects but you can give them sufficient time to develop. At DT, you bring in Walton and hopefully English as your depth builder and we return every piece from that position. From what I can see from English, if he pans out at DT, Aclone is right and you can build around him.

I am sure I am leaving something out here but when I look at the class from a position standpoint, I think we have positioned ourselves where, as long as we can get some sort of DT, we will be in good shape. I am confident we will get at least two of the Dlineman and I think Miller could be destined for Dline as well, but who knows, he could be the next AJ Klein. The best part of being where we are is we don't have to turn down a kid like JJ just because we have to fill a position.
    Gaines is listed as High interest for Iowa State on Scout and ESPN. Theres no chance at getting Daniel.