Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 880
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

3 man pass rush. Wildly successful and completely unexpected!

Re-watched the game tonight. Wally and CPR really knocked this game plan out of the park. I think they really took a chance vs the run to slow down Gabbert but it came up aces.

The 3 man front really forced Knott and Klein to be more aggressive against the run. Loved that aspect of unleaching those guys on run plays.

I couldn't always make out the personel when they had 3 man fronts. 3rd linebacker, or did they go with an extra DB? i remember seeing Watson in the game a few times, so I assumed a extra DB(up to 6!) was in there at times.

Also saw more press coverage than usual. Mizzou wants to use the short passing game, and screens so it was a calculated risk. With no Maclin and Danario Alexander these days it appears they have really lost their big play ability. Got me thinking back to when they played navy in the bowl game last year, and were facing 3 and even 2 man fronts. Mizzou refused to run the dang ball and Gabbert struggled in that game vs 8 and 9 man coverage.

I also liked what they did with Lattimer a few times putting him in coverage when a bunch formation occured on his side. Gabbert seemed to get a bit anxious when his early reads came up empty even when the pressure wasn't great.

I expected them to empty the playbook on offense....instead they ran about every idea possible out there on defense. Not sure this gameplan is designed to be used very often, but I expect this coaching staff to give Pinkel some fits for years to come.

Last edited by Omaha Cy; 11-23-2010 at 12:14 AM.
    http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 436
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: 3 man pass rush. Wildly successful and completely unexpected!

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    Re-watched the game tonight. Wally and CPR really knocked this game plan out of the park. I think they really took a chance vs the run to slow down Gabbert but it came up aces.

The 3 man front really forced Knott and Klein to be more aggressive against the run. Loved that aspect of unleaching those guys on run plays.

I couldn't always make out the personel when they had 3 man fronts. 3rd linebacker, or did they go with an extra DB? i remember seeing Watson in the game a few times, so I assumed a extra DB(up to 6!) was in there at times. Also saw more press coverage than usual. Mizzou wants to use the short passing game, and screens so it was a calculated risk. With no Maclin and Danario Alexander these days it appears they have really lost their big play ability. Got me thinking back to when they played navy in the bowl game past year, and were facing 3 and even 2 man fronts. Mizzou refused to run the dang ball and Gabbert struggled in that game.

I also liked what they did with Lattimer a few times putting him in coverage when a bunch formation occured on his side. Gabbert seemed to get a bit anxious when his early reads came up empty.

I expected them to empty the playbook on offense....instead they ran about every idea possible out there on defense. Not sure this gameplan is designed to be used very often, but I expect this coaching staff to give Pinkel some fits for years to come.
    The 3-2-6 featured Anthony Young quite a bit, with Watson and Sandvig also rotating in. Really have to give the D credit, giving up only 14 to Mizzou is very impressive. Also had a couple TO chances. However, the lack of D-line pressure is still very frustrating. Gabbert had quite a few instances with 6-8 seconds of time. If we could somehow put together a solid D-line next seaon, the back 7 could get quite a few turnovers, not to mention the probability of more defensive scores.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58
    Given: 82

Rhoads talked about this in the post-game. He said coaches are thieves and we took this from another game and executed it better than the team they took it from. I haven't seen much of Mizzou play this year so I'm not sure who deserves the credit. Too bad the offense didn't step up because our D played unreal!

“One day we’ll be in here celebrating a Big 12 championship,” Rhoads said. “That I can promise you.”

"I hope to coach here until I retire," Hoiberg said.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    Rhoads talked about this in the post-game. He said coaches are thieves and we took this from another game and executed it better than the team they took it from. I haven't seen much of Mizzou play this year so I'm not sure who deserves the credit. Too bad the offense didn't step up because our D played unreal!
    I'd love to figure out who they swiped it from, just to see the comparative results.

With all the press coverage I feel they had NO respect for Mizzou trying to stretch the field. Burnham and Rhoads didn't seem to fear Mizzou taking shots deep. perhaps the blueprint has been laid out for Pinkel.

Also if you think about how they got abused(coaches and players) vs Colorado, this showed some severe resiliency by the TEAM. It really sucks, but Ive come away from the Nebraska and Mizzou losses feeling pretty good about whats being built here.

No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 776
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

really impressed with the development of Rosy and Lattimer all year, so you'd think if we pair them with Nelson next year and they continue to develop we'll have a pretty okay edge rush! rump, mcD and crew all were constantly improving inside, so i think we'll be okay on DL next year. and we'll have the great LB corp again and solid corners. Saftey is the only really big ? right now but we have lots of options so im not to worried. lets just grab another 3-4 DL in this recruiting class for some depth and immediate impact hopefully and the defense could be pretty darn good next year!

...we'll miss bailey johnson tho. he was the underrated player of the year IMO. he had a lot of plays with good penatration from the DT postion and was never really talked about!

ALL IN

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The press coverage also seems to make a lot of sense right now because of the damn pesky WR sweep play Mizzou runs. By pressing they got bodies up on a blocker instantly as that play developed. Thinking back It seemed like they went away from that play in the 2nd half. That's the sort of play that typically eats up huge yards on ISU.

As much as people fret over the schedule and bcs caliber opponents, they are not considering that Rhoads and Burnham will begin to really figure out a lot of offenses in this conference. I think the Cyclone calling card might be low scoring, blood pressure raising defensive battles in the future. I'll take the wins, but the stress won't be fun.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Navy ran a 2-4-5 in the Texas Bowl against Mizzou last year with similar amounts of success. That may have been one film they watched.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 847
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 30

There were a couple of occasions where we dropped 9 and rushed 2, so it could be from the Navy game. Teams had been doing that for years against Texas Tech when Leach was there also.

Go Cyclones!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 331
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by A-town Cy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    Navy ran a 2-4-5 in the Texas Bowl against Mizzou last year with similar amounts of success. That may have been one film they watched.
    Quote Originally Posted by jay moe View Post
    There were a couple of occasions where we dropped 9 and rushed 2, so it could be from the Navy game. Teams had been doing that for years against Texas Tech when Leach was there also.
    I think they saw T Tech run the same D against Mizzou this year. T Tech won 24-17 and dropped as many as 9. Tubberville maybe shared some of his notes with Rhoads.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 49

The press coverage also seems to make a lot of sense right now because of the damn pesky WR sweep play Mizzou runs. By pressing they got bodies up on a blocker instantly as that play developed. Thinking back It seemed like they went away from that play in the 2nd half. That's the sort of play that typically eats up huge yards on ISU.

As much as people fret over the schedule and bcs caliber opponents, they are not considering that Rhoads and Burnham will begin to really figure out a lot of offenses in this conference. I think the Cyclone calling card might be low scoring, blood pressure raising defensive battles in the future. I'll take the wins, but the stress won't be fun.
    This right here. We need to quit worrying about who we play, and get to the point where they have to worry about playing us too. Give this staff time and recruits, and boy, watch out.

I want ISU football to be willing to play anyone, anywhere, anytime. Period.

I loved the defensive gameplan against Mizzou, and hope we go to some sort of a 3-4 in the future. I love the versatility of that defense, and how not enough teams run it. You want your team to be a matchup nightmare. I mean most the time teams only have a week to prepare for us, why run the same scheme as everyone else?

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I couldn't always make out the personel when they had 3 man fronts. 3rd linebacker, or did they go with an extra DB? i remember seeing Watson in the game a few times, so I assumed a extra DB(up to 6!) was in there at times.

Also saw more press coverage than usual. Mizzou wants to use the short passing game, and screens so it was a calculated risk. With no Maclin and Danario Alexander these days it appears they have really lost their big play ability. Got me thinking back to when they played navy in the bowl game last year, and were facing 3 and even 2 man fronts. Mizzou refused to run the dang ball and Gabbert struggled in that game vs 8 and 9 man coverage.

I also liked what they did with Lattimer a few times putting him in coverage when a bunch formation occured on his side. Gabbert seemed to get a bit anxious when his early reads came up empty even when the pressure wasn't great.

Did we beat Missouri? If the game plan was so great why didn't we win? Perhaps we should of had a game plan on the other side of the ball! IB

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

A 3-4 in college is incredibly difficult to pull off due to the talent generally required to run it. You need a block eating nose tackle that's close to 300 pounds, two ends that are stout in the run game, and two solid edge rushers who have the speed to get around the corner.

I doubt we move off our base Nickel package much but as the coaches grow more comfortable with the players (and Knott and Klein continue to improve) you will see some more exotic packages in specific situations.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    Did we beat missouri/ If the game plan was so great why didn't we win? perhaps we should of had a game plan on the other side of the ball! IB
    Our gameplan on the other side of the ball was not bad really. We just failed to execute against the 2nd ranked red zone defense in football. Play calling was not good on our red zone trip in the 3rd but Tiller's two throws were poor as well (both off the back foot). Mahoney had no excuse to miss the chip shot, and Rhoads let him know it.

Gameplan was on both sides of the ball was fine. Execution on the offensive side was lacking and about what I expected with Tiller not having the reps on some of those more complex routes.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'd love to figure out who they swiped it from, just to see the comparative results.

With all the press coverage I feel they had NO respect for Mizzou trying to stretch the field. Burnham and Rhoads didn't seem to fear Mizzou taking shots deep. perhaps the blueprint has been laid out for Pinkel.

Also if you think about how they got abused(coaches and players) vs Colorado, this showed some severe resiliency by the TEAM. It really sucks, but Ive come away from the Nebraska and Mizzou losses feeling pretty good about whats being built here.
    A mizzou poster nailed it right on the head last week. He said

1. You will never get pressure on Gabbert because Mizzou's OL is too good and the OC ignores the run game. Told us we might as well drop 8-9 back into coverage with one guy spieing Gabbert.
    2. Said that Mizzou no longer has a big play receiver and because of that they have to dink and dunk. If you drop people back, Gabbert can get confused and will throw some bad passes
    3. Mizzou is a prime example of what happens when you don't have a big play receiver even if you have an accurate QB. No big play receiver and you can crowd the short stuff and force teams to take small chunks. Ultimately they will screw up. We will need a big play receiver and a QB to go with him in order for our offense to be explosive.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    Did we beat Missouri? If the game plan was so great why didn't we win? Perhaps we should of had a game plan on the other side of the ball! IB
    The defensive gameplan was great. Why didn't we win? Uh, because we didn't score any points.