Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Chizik: no academic casualties

Gene said this at Big 12 media day.

Front page of dmr website.

Also from his interview: He said that sacks are not always the line's fault and that Brett needs to throw quicker and throw on the run some.

That may be a shot across Meyer's bow.

Other than that, it was your basic boring coach speak.

Last edited by joepublic; 07-24-2007 at 03:17 PM.
    'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Re: Chizik: no academic casualties

BTW was that a really bad, or just me. My fav. is "Reporters asked Chizik how quickly he can turn the Cyclones around, his conversations with former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney and what his son thought about a newly minted Gene Chizik coin."
    And then not even share how Chizik answered the Q's. We don't care what the question was, just want to know what Chizik had to say.

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by kgreeny View Post
    BTW was that a really bad, or just me. My fav. is "Reporters asked Chizik how quickly he can turn the Cyclones around, his conversations with former Iowa State coach Dan McCarney and what his son thought about a newly minted Gene Chizik coin."
    And then not even share how Chizik answered the Q's. We don't care what the question was, just want to know what Chizik had to say.
    My guess is the reporter is filing on the fly. Story will be developed later.

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 720
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by joepublic View Post
    My guess is the reporter is filing on the fly. Story will be developed later.
    Maybe, but the RAG still sucks

"I believe the state color for Alabama should be primer," Larry the Cable Guy.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Gene said this at Big 12 media day.

Front page of dmr website.

Also from his interview: He said that sacks are not always the line's fault and that Brett needs to throw quicker and throw on the run some.

That may be a shot across Meyer's bow.

Other than that, it was your basic boring coach speak.
    Where did you read that he said "Brett needs to throw quicker and throw on the run some?" I'm reading the transcript on CR and I think you are bending the comments a bit and leaving out some much needed context

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ArathornClone View Post
    Where did you read that he said "Brett needs to throw quicker and throw on the run some?" I'm reading the transcript on CR and I think you are bending the comments a bit and leaving out some much needed context
    Get a grip. You used quote marks, not me. Below is the transcript from cyclones.com.

"But we gotta be able to move them around. We gotta be able to throw quick. We've got to find a way to get the ball out of his hands and he's got to be able to throw on the run some."

Pro
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 752
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Get a grip. You used quote marks, not me. Below is the transcript from cyclones.com.

"But we gotta be able to move them around. We gotta be able to throw quick. We've got to find a way to get the ball out of his hands and he's got to be able to throw on the run some."

Your post made it sound as if Chizik was passing the blame to Brett and that's not at all how I took it. That's all I'm saying. Relax.

So, again I ask where does it say this is all up to Brett? He uses 'we' everywhere except the end where he says 'he's got to be able to throw on the run some.' I infer from this given the context where he is saying "it is more than just the OL when sacks are given up" that wide receivers need to be getting open quicker, OL needs to do their part, the running back - his part, etc. not to mention that by saying 'we' he is including the coach thus implying that McFarland and Chizik need to put some plays in that will be conducive to Brett getting rid of the ball quicker. Again, given the overall context of "we are all accountable" I highly doubt his comments meant "Brett needs to throw quicker and throw on the run" as your post made it sound.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Must everything involve someone snapping at someone else. A valid question was posed - nothing more, nothing less.

I liked reading this...

“I’ve heard it all,” Chizik said. “We’ve got a job to do, and we know it’s a tall order.

“If they had picked us No. 1 in the nation, it wouldn’t matter. We’ve got to go out and do the same thing.”
    Seems Chizik will approach each football season with the same mindset - regardless of past performance or future expectations.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Your post made it sound as if Chizik was passing the blame to Brett and that's not at all how I took it. That's all I'm saying. Relax.

So, again I ask where does it say this is all up to Brett? He uses 'we' everywhere except the end where he says 'he's got to be able to throw on the run some.' I infer from this given the context where he is saying "it is more than just the OL when sacks are given up" that wide receivers need to be getting open quicker, OL needs to do their part, the running back - his part, etc. not to mention that by saying 'we' he is including the coach thus implying that McFarland and Chizik need to put some plays in that will be conducive to Brett getting rid of the ball quicker. Again, given the overall context of "we are all accountable" I highly doubt his comments meant "Brett needs to throw quicker and throw on the run" as your post made it sound.
    I think there is more in what Gene is saying than you do, I guess.

"But for us to be able to protect Bret ‑‑ and he knows this, and we've had many discussions over the spring about getting ourselves into negative plays, or getting ourselves out of negative plays, I should say.

But we gotta be able to move them around. We gotta be able to throw quick. We've got to find a way to get the ball out of his hands and he's got to be able to throw on the run some. And Bret has obviously had a great success as a drop‑back passer if he's had time."

This is not the full quote. People should see cyclones.com for the transcript.

Bench Warmer
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think there is more in what Gene is saying than you do, I guess.

"But for us to be able to protect Bret ‑‑ and he knows this, and we've had many discussions over the spring about getting ourselves into negative plays, or getting ourselves out of negative plays, I should say.

But we gotta be able to move them around. We gotta be able to throw quick. We've got to find a way to get the ball out of his hands and he's got to be able to throw on the run some. And Bret has obviously had a great success as a drop‑back passer if he's had time."

This is not the full quote. People should see cyclones.com for the transcript.
    Fair enough. I didn't know where you were heading with it and I feared the worst. I thought maybe you were one of the "our backup QB is our best QB" crowd. I apologize for jumping to conclusions. Either way, I think he was saying that it is more than just the OL rather than directing anything solely at Brett.

Starter Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I thought maybe you were one of the "our backup QB is our best QB" crowd.
    I can see why you thought that was the case, but for the record I'm not Marty Tirrell.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I hope that was Chizik calling out Meyer because someone needs to light a fire under him. He declined last year and yes the line was not great but it wasn't that great the year before that either. Once Meyer rolls out of the pocket he's on his own, no more line to blame. Too many times I've felt he is not quick to make a decision and either tucks it in too late or forces a throw instead of just tucking it in sooner or throwing the ball away.

Yes I'm critical of Meyer and I really hope Arnaud pushes him. No more excuses for Brett, he's a senior and has started since a freshman so it's time to step up or step aside for the future which is Arnaud. We'll see if this "only allowed to use 1/3 of the field" crap holds any water here soon enough. If we see the same old indecisive and locking onto 1 receiver Meyer early on we'll know that was a bunch of BS and it was really Meyer's tendancies all along.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    Seems Chizik will approach each football season with the same mindset - regardless of past performance or future expectations.
    This is how all the great ones approach it!

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Once Meyer rolls out of the pocket he's on his own, no more line to blame.
    Huh? You can't really believe this can you?

The fact is that if a play breaks down it is everyone's responsibility to keep us from a negative play...the QB, the OLine, the Backs, the Receivers.

And in today's game, many of the successful passing teams have a lot of designed plays with moving pockets to give the QB more time.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.