Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 669
    Given: 183

ISU-Paradise Jam information

This is from Iowa State's release on this week's tournament. I'll be writing a preview for CF later on here this afternoon.

AMES, Iowa - With a 3-0 start in its bags the Iowa State women's basketball team travels to the U.S. Virgin Islands for the Paradise Jam Thursday-Saturday at the University of Virgin Island Sports & Fitness Center. The Cyclones will face 2009-10 NCAA Tournament participants Virginia, TCU and West Virginia during the tournament.

Iowa State Tournament Schedule
    Thursday, Nov. 25
    Iowa State vs. Virginia, 2:15 p.m. (CT)
    Friday, Nov. 26
    Iowa State vs. TCU, 2:15 p.m. (CT)
    Saturday, Nov. 27
    Iowa State vs. West Virginia, 2:15 p.m. (CT)

Where: St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands - University of the Virgin Island Sports & Fitness Center
    Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
    Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP), Molly Parrott (Color)
    Live Stats: Live stats will be available at paradisejam.com.
    Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the match at cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
    Live Video: Entire tournament available for $4.99 at FCSbroadband.com.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 43

Re: ISU-Paradise Jam information

Tough three games in three days.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 626
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 101

Virgina is a very fast team and can put up the points. They took after Tennessee on the road and put a very real scare into them before falling by 12. What is clear is that they shoot well and aren't afraid to foul you (they had 28 fouls versus Tennessee, 23 v Hofstra, 20 v Mount St. Marys). They have had different people lead the scoring in every game.

Texas Christian is unbeaten scoring a crapload of points at 89 points per game. Emily Carter is just plain scary as she put up 43 points against SMU. They needed every one as they held on to a 14 point win in DOUBLE OT. She isn't the only weapon for the 23rd ranked team as Starr Crawford is averaging a double double in points and rebounds. Crawford is a rebounding machine as a 6' 1" forward.

West Virginia is rated 10th in the country and has a 6' forward in Madina Ali who is shooting a very scary 69% from the field. They don't shoot many 3 pointers, but the scoring and rebounding is spread out over a deep lineup. They have size at 6'5" and 6'4" but the bigs don't do much. If you look at them statistically the offense isn't that impressive. You cover their two main players - Ali and Repella - and they could be in trouble. They struggle at the line like ISU has but appear to play solid defense holding opponents to 46 points per game. Sounds familiar huh?

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Whitney Williams is listed on the TCU roster. Is she eligible this year?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    Whitney Williams is listed on the TCU roster. Is she eligible this year?
    No. As a transfer student she has to sit out this year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 896
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    No. As a transfer student she has to sit out this year.
    Does she even get to make the trip?

Walk On
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 77
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Does she even get to make the trip?
    She stated that she is not going.

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The reason I asked about Williams is that she is listed as a junior guard on their roster; I thought that was strange, given that normally one sits out a year on a transfer.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    The reason I asked about Williams is that she is listed as a junior guard on their roster; I thought that was strange, given that normally one sits out a year on a transfer.
    She is a junior guard and I'm assuming will be listed as a redshirt junior guard next year. I'm making the assumption that they would use a redshirt, but with transfer rules it may be that since you aren't playing it doesn't count towards your eligibility.

Anyone help on that ruling?

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Virgina is a very fast team and can put up the points. They took after Tennessee on the road and put a very real scare into them before falling by 12. What is clear is that they shoot well and aren't afraid to foul you (they had 28 fouls versus Tennessee, 23 v Hofstra, 20 v Mount St. Marys). They have had different people lead the scoring in every game.

Texas Christian is unbeaten scoring a crapload of points at 89 points per game. Emily Carter is just plain scary as she put up 43 points against SMU. They needed every one as they held on to a 14 point win in DOUBLE OT. She isn't the only weapon for the 23rd ranked team as Starr Crawford is averaging a double double in points and rebounds. Crawford is a rebounding machine as a 6' 1" forward.

West Virginia is rated 10th in the country and has a 6' forward in Madina Ali who is shooting a very scary 69% from the field. They don't shoot many 3 pointers, but the scoring and rebounding is spread out over a deep lineup. They have size at 6'5" and 6'4" but the bigs don't do much. If you look at them statistically the offense isn't that impressive. You cover their two main players - Ali and Repella - and they could be in trouble. They struggle at the line like ISU has but appear to play solid defense holding opponents to 46 points per game. Sounds familiar huh?
    Good teams for sure, but I think all including ISU are still question marks. I think ISU goes 2-1, or 3-0 quite frankly.

Virginia - We should win. Not a 3 team, take less than 10 3s a game. Look for a BF junk defense here packing it in. Really only have a couple shooters. Our post size and athleticism should match up well on defense and 3 ability open up the offensive court.

TCU- Should win. Carter is a threat, but they needed OT to beat SMU. I look for BF to put Schroll to start and on her, maybe switching with Cole and Bolte. Her size might be an issue for LM and/or Harris. Our posts should have an advantage.

WV - Toss up. Ali and Repella are the main scorers. Don't take a lot of threes either, but are physical. Guessing this game goes to the team with the best legs left after playing two games previously, fortunately, we have the depth to allow. Hopefully, game 1 or 2 allows Bolte significant bench time, as well as LM.

Go cyclones!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Good teams for sure, but I think all including ISU are still question marks. I think ISU goes 2-1, or 3-0 quite frankly.

Virginia - We should win. Not a 3 team, take less than 10 3s a game. Look for a BF junk defense here packing it in. Really only have a couple shooters. Our post size and athleticism should match up well on defense and 3 ability open up the offensive court.

TCU- Should win. Carter is a threat, but they needed OT to beat SMU. I look for BF to put Schroll to start and on her, maybe switching with Cole and Bolte. Her size might be an issue for LM and/or Harris. Our posts should have an advantage.

WV - Toss up. Ali and Repella are the main scorers. Don't take a lot of threes either, but are physical. Guessing this game goes to the team with the best legs left after playing two games previously, fortunately, we have the depth to allow. Hopefully, game 1 or 2 allows Bolte significant bench time, as well as LM.

Go cyclones!
    Birdman I tend to agree with your assessment. Of course the defense is critical for the Sisters. We haven't had a completely cold day shooting yet so I hope that doesn't rear its ugly head. Against WV we have to make free throws. Absolutely critical in any game but think especially so in that one. TCU actually has a senior guard that could be as big a threat as Carter. Have to watch her or she will light us up.

All-Star
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 218
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Billy is "Twitpicking". I wonder if coachfen will let him send beach photos. The commercial flight out of DesMoines is taking most of the day. I wonder how the price of a direct flight charter would compare.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 84

Whoa - Sarah Miles is pretty good too:

1- Pre-season first team All-Big East.
    2 -Big East Defensive Player of the Year last year
    3 -Named to Naismith and Lieberman Award watch lists this year.

She hurt her wrist last month but is now playing, although not 100%. A tremendous player, very intense and physical. I saw WV play a few times last year, and Miles is the unquestioned leader of the team.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 680
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Whoa - Sarah Miles is pretty good too:

1- Pre-season first team All-Big East.
    2 -Big East Defensive Player of the Year last year
    3 -Named to Naismith and Lieberman Award watch lists this year.

She hurt her wrist last month but is now playing, although not 100%. A tremendous player, very intense and physical. I saw WV play a few times last year, and Miles is the unquestioned leader of the team.
    be interesting to see how many minutes she plays, she has played 40 minutes total in their first three games.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 896
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

She is a junior guard and I'm assuming will be listed as a redshirt junior guard next year. I'm making the assumption that they would use a redshirt, but with transfer rules it may be that since you aren't playing it doesn't count towards your eligibility.

Anyone help on that ruling?
    Right. She has two years of eligibility left, so she is a junior. She will be a junior again next season.