Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Cyclonefanatic access probems at home via Qwest DSL

I know someone else posted a few months ago this problem but i can't access CycloneFanatic at home from my computer. I think it has somehting to do with Qwest DSL.

Any helpers?

Addict
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,839
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 8

Re: Cyclonefanatic access probems at home via Qwest DSL

I have Qwest DSL at home and never had a problem with accessing CF from it. Do you have a router between your PC and the DSL modem? Might have changed a setting on that possibly is the only thing I can think of.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by kindrgtncp View Post
    I know someone else posted a few months ago this problem but i can't access CycloneFanatic at home from my computer. I think it has somehting to do with Qwest DSL.

Any helpers?
    That was me, and despite the help of many here and Qwest support, I am still having problems. I have two workarounds I have discovered that don't solve the problem, but can get you to CF anyway.

My problem, I have found, stems from Qwest doing something funky with IP addresses. So what I do that works, especially if I am in a hurry, is access the site through an IP masking site. I have used Anonymouse, and can access the site, but do have to put up with their ads.

Secondly, I have found that I can stave off the problem from happening for a while if I reset the modem to its factory settings. Make sure you have your password and user name provided by Qwest when you do this, or you will not be able to access the internet at all! This seems to work the best for me, as it takes a week or so before the problem arises again, but it takes 5 min. or so to get everything up and running again. (FYI: rebooting the modem only doesn't seem to correct the problem.)

If you need more specifics on how to do any of this, feel free to email or PM me for more info. I know how frustrating this is!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I have had problems on a couple of occasions. Always able to get to other sites. I wind up doing nothing to fix it and then notice eventually that it starts working again.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 5

I occasionally have problems with Qwest DSL, but power-cycling the modem usually fixes it.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    That was me, and despite the help of many here and Qwest support, I am still having problems. I have two workarounds I have discovered that don't solve the problem, but can get you to CF anyway.

My problem, I have found, stems from Qwest doing something funky with IP addresses. So what I do that works, especially if I am in a hurry, is access the site through an IP masking site. I have used Anonymouse, and can access the site, but do have to put up with their ads.

Secondly, I have found that I can stave off the problem from happening for a while if I reset the modem to its factory settings. Make sure you have your password and user name provided by Qwest when you do this, or you will not be able to access the internet at all! This seems to work the best for me, as it takes a week or so before the problem arises again, but it takes 5 min. or so to get everything up and running again. (FYI: rebooting the modem only doesn't seem to correct the problem.)

If you need more specifics on how to do any of this, feel free to email or PM me for more info. I know how frustrating this is!
    You have to reset your modem all the time? That is not right. I have had my dsl connection for 10 years now, and have the same settings in there as when I started. Maybe you should switch to cable?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    You have to reset your modem all the time? That is not right. I have had my dsl connection for 10 years now, and have the same settings in there as when I started. Maybe you should switch to cable?
    I've considered that, but I'm poor and can't get a better deal than 21.99 a month. I think now that I know a little bit more about the problem, maybe I will give their support another chance and see if I can get lucky and get someone smart this time!

I'm wondering...does everyone with the problem have the same modem model? Mine is GT701.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 338
    Given: 239

I'll try to look at the model number on my modem tonight. As you know isucyfan, I've yet to run across any issues.

Walk On
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

I've had problems with CycloneFanatic using Qwest DSL as well. I don't have to reset the settings, but unplugging the modem for 15 seconds seems to fix the problem.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I just spent another hour online with Qwest about this issue. They are stumped, and again tried to blame it on our vaunted CF, but when I told them that others on the site with Qwest were having the same problem, and that resetting my modem immediately connected me to CF, they understood.

They had some questions about other people that were or were not having problems...do the Qwest users have static or dynamic IP addresses? They think that an IP address for CF may be blacklisted for some reason, and resetting my modem forces it to pull up a different IP address.

So, I am supposed to wait until the problem arises again on my computer, then run a trace route and call them back with the results. Any thoughts from those of you in the know?

P.S. I told them that this must be resolved before football season, and they understood the urgency of that!

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    I'm wondering...does everyone with the problem have the same modem model? Mine is GT701.
    Same modem, no problems.

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

CF Founder
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

Hey guys, sorry for not responding sooner, the thread got buried under some others before I saw it.

I'm guessing it has to be an issue with Qwest trying to block the IP address(es) for some reason. CF actually has several IP addresses and Qwest is probably blocking one or two, hence the reason it works sometimes. I'm working on an issue with the IP/DNS settings right now anyways but I think the only thing we can do in this situation is hope Qwest unblocks the IP address(es). I'm guessing they probably had a problem somewhere along the line when some other person leased the IP address(es) in question.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Walk On
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 348
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you're having trouble resolving the DNS of cyclonefanatic.com, you could try adding "74.86.70.202 www.cyclonefanatic.com" to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.