Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

England for the New Year... questions?

I would really appreciate your help with my traveling. I haven’t been on a plane in close to 30 years so I know things have changed quite a bit. And my goal is to make it as stress free as possible.

OK… I got my tickets from Orbitz and will leave Lincoln, to Chicago, then Chicago to Frankfurt, Germany and then finally arriving in Manchester, England the next morning.

As my departure day is getting closer I did some checking and saw there is “on-line check-in” as well as “luggage check-in.” According to Orbitz I can’t do this until 24 hours before the flight, so I’m trying to get my answers before then and this place seems to have had more then its share of travelers.

My question to start, is do I need to check in on-line for all my flights? That one I am assuming is yes, but like I said I haven’t flown in many years. The other is the luggage check-in. Do I need to check that in every time?

All the flights leaving are United, even though in Lincoln it is US Express and in Germany it is Lufthansa. My thought is if I do it with United then I shouldn’t have to do it again? Right or wrong?

Now the flight itself, the “killer” is Chicago to Frankfurt. That is a nine hour flight. Any suggestions to make time fly by? Can I use a laptop?

Any and all advice I would truly appreciate. What to wear… not to wear… all of it… like I said it has been a long time since I have been on a plane…

Thanks in advance

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: England for the New Year... questions?

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonelifer View Post
    I would really appreciate your help with my traveling. I haven’t been on a plane in close to 30 years so I know things have changed quite a bit. And my goal is to make it as stress free as possible.

OK… I got my tickets from Orbitz and will leave Lincoln, to Chicago, then Chicago to Frankfurt, Germany and then finally arriving in Manchester, England the next morning.

As my departure day is getting closer I did some checking and saw there is “on-line check-in” as well as “luggage check-in.” According to Orbitz I can’t do this until 24 hours before the flight, so I’m trying to get my answers before then and this place seems to have had more then its share of travelers.

My question to start, is do I need to check in on-line for all my flights? That one I am assuming is yes, but like I said I haven’t flown in many years. The other is the luggage check-in. Do I need to check that in every time?

All the flights leaving are United, even though in Lincoln it is US Express and in Germany it is Lufthansa. My thought is if I do it with United then I shouldn’t have to do it again? Right or wrong?

Now the flight itself, the “killer” is Chicago to Frankfurt. That is a nine hour flight. Any suggestions to make time fly by? Can I use a laptop?

Any and all advice I would truly appreciate. What to wear… not to wear… all of it… like I said it has been a long time since I have been on a plane…

Thanks in advance
    1. Yes, checking in online will save you about 30 minutes at the airport unless you have specific needs
    2. You will have to go through customs at each country you fly into, there is no way around that. It will take about an hour or so for you to fill out the paper card and go through the screening.
    3. Get noise canceling headphones or bring a small dvd player with you to watch some dvds.
    4. Wear something conformable, I suggest sandles as you will have to take your shoes off a few times part of the screening process.
    5. If you are bringing something back, you will need to put it into your suitcase once your connecting flight is back in the US, i.e. you fly into Miami from Mexico but have a connecting flight to Chicago, then Des Moines. You will not be able to take the item in question on the plane with you past your flight into the US.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 13

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonelifer View Post

Thanks in advance

You are not required to check in prior to your flight but it may save some time. Although I assume that you will need to check luggage you will have to wait inline to get your luggage tags anyway so I'm not sure how much time you will save.

Since I assume you are checking luggage I would reccomend putting all of your liquids in a checked bag. This will save you from having to buy the travel size of everything and having to deal with pulling it out of your carry-on when you pass through security.

You can take a laptop its not a problem. If you do you will need to have it out of the bag (unless you have one of the approved bags) when you go through security. Not a big deal, it would be worth it for a long flight.

As others have said wear comfy clothes and shoes that are easy to get on and off.

Good luck and have a great time!!

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 51

Can you do a "check in through" for your luggage ? I assume you could, providing that Lutfhansa and United are in the same codeshare.
    You should ask when you check your luggage whether you can do a check in through, if yes, you will only need to pick your luggage in your final destination (make sure first).

BTW are you going to watch soccer in Manchester ? :)
    Hope for the nice weather - I was in UK last December (including Manchester) and they had probably 2 inches of snow and it was total chaos as they never had to deal with more than 2-4 inches of snow total during the entire winter.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 542
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    Can you do a "check in through" for your luggage ? I assume you could, providing that Lutfhansa and United are in the same codeshare.
    You should ask when you check your luggage whether you can do a check in through, if yes, you will only need to pick your luggage in your final destination (make sure first).

BTW are you going to watch soccer in Manchester ? :)
    Hope for the nice weather - I was in UK last December (including Manchester) and they had probably 2 inches of snow and it was total chaos as they never had to deal with more than 2-4 inches of snow total during the entire winter.
    That would be a big mistake - NEVER call it soccer in Manchester, it's FOOTBALL over there...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 51

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    That would be a big mistake - NEVER call it soccer in Manchester, it's FOOTBALL over there...
    I know but I don't know whether he watches soccer, errrr "football" :)

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 389
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Very nice advice thank you...

For me, we play football and they play soccer, except when I'm talking to my girlfriend then they play football...

My biggest concern is luggage, just one suitcase, but don't want to lose it...

I remember that with the snow in Manchester last year... I wasn't there but GF told me how chaotic it was... which blows my mind... they are further north but don't get that much snow...

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

We traveled to Germany a few months ago. We left from Omaha and the kiosks at the ticket counter allow you to enter your information, scan your passport, and print your boarding passes for each flight all the way through. You will still have to check your luggage at the counter.

Returning we went through canada just because that was the cheaper route. We passed through customs there. Painless proceedure.

As far as the flight over the pond, our United flight was on a Boing 777 and each seat had a monitor and remote control. They have free movies that are out of theatres but not out on dvd yet. They also have booze.

Last edited by CyOps; 11-22-2010 at 09:26 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 244
    Given: 386

I also recommend not bringing any change with you. If you do, put that and your keys in your carry-on or computer bag along with your watch, maybe even your wallet - you shouldn't need it to go through security if you're using your passport for other reasons (ID) anyway.

I agree with the comfortable shoes, but I wouldn't wear sandals. Just slip into your tennis shoes but make sure they are tied loosely so you can easily slip them off and on at the security checkpoint

Basically, it is a pain in the *** to get through security. It's almost like getting undressed and dressed again. The fewer "loose" items you have to deal with the better.

And like someone said, you have to take the computer out of the case to put it through the scanner separately.

No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 120

To pass the time on the plane: free booze on trans-atlantic flights. Have a few and go to sleep.

All-Star
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 125
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by azepp View Post
    To pass the time on the plane: free booze on trans-atlantic flights. Have a few and go to sleep.
    I was told this also but when we flew United they only gave us two free drinks. Anything more you had to pay for.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,066
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 182
    Given: 120

Quote Originally Posted by CyOps View Post
    I was told this also but when we flew United they only gave us two free drinks. Anything more you had to pay for.
    Bummer. Last time I flew Alitalia and after the first three or so beers they got tired of us calling them and just gave each of us a six-pack.