Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 116

Twister Sister Summary - Another big win

In what has become an increasingly disturbing trend, the Twister Sisters came out with another "average" first half while needing an inspired second half to record win #3 on this young season by beating UNI 69-59. The hero today? None other than Big C - Hallie Christofferson.

this young lady is quickly showing why she was the top target in this year's recruiting class and one of the best players to head to major college ball from the class of 2010. it was her 19th birthday and what a day to come out on fire. She picked up the slack for a struggling ISU team in the first half and literally kept us in the game when shots didn't seem to know where the basket was.

The first half featured an ISU team shooting a cool 45% from the field and an ice cold 1-4 from the 3 point line. That stat didn't improve as the ladies would only hit 3 long distance shots for the game. What did improve? Free throw shooting.

In the Western Illinois game the Sisters only hit 61% from the charity stripe. Against Drake it was even worse at 58%. I realize what charity is, but ISU isn't supposed to be giving in those situations. This was my biggest worry in what I saw developing this season. Today it was different and Big C led the way hitting 10 of 13 free throws and the team improving to make 78% overall. Pop was the only person struggling at the line as her free throw shooting continues to be a work in progress.

Pop's aggression also continues to be problematic at times as she fouled out of this contest. She reminds me a bit of Osemele on the football field. If she runs free she gets in trouble from time to time. If you rein her in you stand the chance of losing something. She still scored 10 points on the day.

The inside game was much improved and not just because of Big C. Sure, Hallie scored a team high 19 points (woo hoo!) on 4-8 shooting, but Pop added the 10 and Prins tossed in another 10 points and 10 boards. I often refer to Big C as a post player as we often see her working down low. In reality she is a forward, but sorry…for the time being I'm lumping her in with the bigs. That means our bigs scored 39 points and pulled in 20 boards. I like those numbers.

Another totally solid game by our new point guard. LM (I have to come up with a nickname for her!! Any suggestions?). She didn't have an outstanding shooting day, but sometimes when you are getting hacked you score at the line instead. She went a solid 6-6 at the line, dished 6 assists, grabbed 3 boards, and totaled 9 points. Love it.

UNI was focusing on shutting down our outside game today and the bigs answered the call. Even though Bolte was hounded all day, she still came up with a big 13 points and some critical free throws down the stretch to help the Sisters pull away to the final margin. In what seems to be the first time in forever, Bolt didn't hit any three point shots, but instead made them from closer in and at the line. Gutsy game for our senior.

Odd stat of the game? You don't expect to see a Bill Fennelly team only have 10 assists when you score 69 points. But when you realize we only made 19 baskets it makes sense. 19-46 from the field isn't pretty and isn't acceptable. Against a better squad (can we say "Paradise Jam?") that kind of shooting might sink you. But Coach Fennelly always has stressed "making more free throws than the other team attempts." We gave UNI way to many opportunities there, but we still hit 28 free throws as compared to 23 attempts (on 87% shooting!!!!) by UNI.

So what was the difference in the game? ISU came out from being down 3 at the half and again played inspired ball. Shooting didn't get better, but rebounding and tenacious D did. UNI made 4 more 3 pointers than we did, but were held to a team 27% from the field. I like those numbers!!

Great game and the first on the road for a young squad. They found the will and way to win today and that is all that matters. I hope they have a great trip to the Paradise Jam. This is where we find out just how good we are and what we really need to work on. Hang on folks…this is going to be fun!!

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 52

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Another big win

Loz was aggressive yesterday, driving to the basket and while her shots didn't fall, she got to the line. Another good game from her.

As for Pop, she gets in foul trouble and yes hurts the team, but her over all hustle/Poppens-ness outweighs the negativity of the foul trouble. To rein in Pop would neuter her aggressiveness and fire and that would be a bigger detriment to ISU than her fouling.

Good to see Prins playing better..still wish she could jump though.

Hallie C, another great game from the freshman. 19 points on her 19th birthday.

Shooting guard, there lies our biggest concern for me. Cole, Harris and Schroll went a combined 1-6 from the field and totaled 4 points. ISU will need one of those three to step up and make some shots. Loz is not a shooter and with these three unable to connect the opposing team can concentrate more on Bolte.

Still early in the season, but the competition is ramping up now and ISU needs to step up. Soon these slow starts are going to come back to haunt this squad.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    As for Pop, she gets in foul trouble and yes hurts the team, but her over all hustle/Poppens-ness outweighs the negativity of the foul trouble. To rein in Pop would neuter her aggressiveness and fire and that would be a bigger detriment to ISU than her fouling.
    ISU also has very good post depth this season. There are four players that can play in any combination. Foul trouble for one of them isn't the end of the world.

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 57
    Given: 52

Agreed mred. Plus the officials were quite whistle happy against the bigs from both teams, or so it seemed.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    ISU also has very good post depth this season. There are four players that can play in any combination. Foul trouble for one of them isn't the end of the world.
    This is true on most days, but we've also seen the three sophomores be disfunctional all in the same game. If Prins is throwing up bricks, Pop is in foul trouble and Zimm isn't sure if the game has started or not...then we have a problem. Fortunately we now have a fourth to go to and so far Big C has been a consistent force on the court.

Pro
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 388
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 32

Does anyone know why Cole started instead of Schroll or Harris?

I guess I like that this team responds in the 2nd half. I also think that this may be more of a result of early season game adjustments. We haven't really settled on a starting 5, and this team is still finding its rhythm.

Although I am worried about our season right now, I like the post depth we have, and I think this will help us out when the teams get bigger - big 12.

I agree with BF that you can always have your defense, offense comes and goes, and I love the physical athletic game we bring these days, its a different look than we are used to. Miss the days of having all 5 be three shooters though.

Pro
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 399
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by twistedredbird View Post
    Does anyone know why Cole started instead of Schroll or Harris?

I guess I like that this team responds in the 2nd half. I also think that this may be more of a result of early season game adjustments. We haven't really settled on a starting 5, and this team is still finding its rhythm.

Although I am worried about our season right now, I like the post depth we have, and I think this will help us out when the teams get bigger - big 12.

I agree with BF that you can always have your defense, offense comes and goes, and I love the physical athletic game we bring these days, its a different look than we are used to. Miss the days of having all 5 be three shooters though.

You really make some great points. The days of playing a zone and firing everywhere on the court seem to be over in many ways. I think what we have are teams that are better in that they play many different types of defense and can switch at will (or on Coach Fennelly's command). They are aggressive and won't back down from anyone. Offensively, I think we are still looking for some things to jell. The hope was Harris would step in and be the shooting guard and that hasn't happened yet. Give her some time though. Prins is starting to emerge for a year long health battle and I think she will just get stronger and stronger as the year goes on. Its going to be fun any way you look at it with the strong defense and amazing coaches we have.

Starter
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 693
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Redbird, I think Cole is getting a good bit of playing time because BF knows that the point guard situation is our potential Achilles Heel. I think, first, that Lauren because of her size will not be able to play nearly 40 mins. a game as Aus did, and, second, Cole may have an edge over the other possible backup point guards in terms of strength and ball-handling ability.

Pro
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Kitkat View Post
    Redbird, I think Cole is getting a good bit of playing time because BF knows that the point guard situation is our potential Achilles Heel. I think, first, that Lauren because of her size will not be able to play nearly 40 mins. a game as Aus did, and, second, Cole may have an edge over the other possible backup point guards in terms of strength and ball-handling ability.
    Also, remember that Cole did not start at least one or two games because she was late to shoot around (and perhaps something else.) This tells me she is the starter for now, unless her behavior gets in the way.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 25

Cole started yesterday for defensive purposes. They stated on the radio broadcast BF feels she is a better defender than Harris at this point, and he wanted to try to control UNI's 3-point shooting.