Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

Mac recommendations?

So I am thinking of taking the plunge and dropping my PC for a mac. My wife already has a mac, and I like the form factor of it a lot. Anyone out there have a mac and found it to 100% replace their PC? This will be a macbook pro lappy so I won't be gaming on it, just email, work, surfing, etc. I guess I can always run a windows VM if something does not work.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 590
    Given: 425

Re: Mac recommendations?

Im not a Mac support by any means, but I do like the new iMacs. I like the all in one system. Good looking and fast.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

I think that the Mac takes a while to warm up. It'll get going for a little while and then crash and burn. Probably last about 12 years.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Can't we just move on for once??

MAC is gone. He has a good gig down in Florida and will probably be a head coach or defensive coordinator within the next few years.

The only MAC we need to be discussing now is GMAC!!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 600
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I was a Windows guy for life but recently took the plunge as well. Our old pc couldn't handle many of the audio/video things that we wanted to do and we needed to make a switch. The Macs are great at dvds, pictures, music, etc. so we looked at them. We fell in love with the iMac and haven't looked back.

In addition, I replaced my NetGear wireless network with an Apple wireless router. Not only is it 5 times faster it comes with built in printer/external hard drive sharing.

Everything they say is true...stuff just works. The only problem I had was with my Sony DVD Handycam. The mac treated it like a player so I needed to get some shareware software to actually pull the movie files off the recorded dvd.

Take the step, you'll be glad you did.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159

My wife has a mac and it's now pretty much the family machine. Mine is super outdated and pretty much died as soon as we got married as well.

I still haven't really warmed up to it. A lot of features I like but I still find software availability to be a huge problem with Macs.

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Brianhos, if you're thinking about getting an iMac, wait until mid-August. There are a bunch of rumors out there that it may be getting a redesign and upgraded then. This is the longest the iMac has gone without some sort of update since August 2004.

This site may be of use to you: Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac It contains all of Apple's hardware products on one page, listing the dates that they've been updated, and articles/rumors surrounding the product. Hope that helps. :)

Go Sssssssssyclones!

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

If you're thinking laptop and don't plan to do any processor-intensive work on it, I'd recommend the (regular) MacBook. While the screen is smaller, it's nearly as fast as the Pro model at a much cheaper price.

I'm also holding out for the new iMac. I'll probably wait until October so I can get the new Leopard (OSX) operating system pre-installed and save $130.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

He'll probably replace Lloyd Carr at Michigan, that seems about right.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 84
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Nedrick View Post
    If you're thinking laptop and don't plan to do any processor-intensive work on it, I'd recommend the (regular) MacBook. While the screen is smaller, it's nearly as fast as the Pro model at a much cheaper price.
    It may be the computer geek in me, but the only way I'd get a MacBook is if someone handed it to me. That, and I have long fingers, and they would not do well with that smaller keyboard.

I'm also holding out for the new iMac. I'll probably wait until October so I can get the new Leopard (OSX) operating system pre-installed and save $130.
    I think there's a program run by Apple that allows people who've recently purchased a new Mac before a major OS update to get a free or discounted version of it. If you get a new Mac in late August or September, I think that would qualify for that program.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 280
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by AirWalke View Post
    Brianhos, if you're thinking about getting an iMac, wait until mid-August. There are a bunch of rumors out there that it may be getting a redesign and upgraded then. This is the longest the iMac has gone without some sort of update since August 2004.
    I am looking at a macbook pro. They are pretty new, like a month old right now.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

I'm a big Apple/Mac fan myself but currently don't have a Mac. I've gone back and forth (always keeping a PC as well) but due to me liking to tinker, I haven't stayed on the Mac side.

You can find a program to replace just about anything now, you just might not recognize the name since a lot of Mac programs are Mac only. BUT, most Mac only apps are very refined and much easier to get things done with. You'll notice that a lot of the apps you can't replace are Windows only because their purpose is to fix, correct or secure something that Mac's don't have to worry about.

You could always try Ubuntu or one of the other bazillion *nix distro but then you're really going to have compatibility issues.

One thing to remember is now there are several ways to have Windows on the Mac as well, and amazingly it runs faster than on similarly spec'd HP or Dell laptops:)

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 485
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    So I am thinking of taking the plunge and dropping my PC for a mac. My wife already has a mac, and I like the form factor of it a lot. Anyone out there have a mac and found it to 100% replace their PC? This will be a macbook pro lappy so I won't be gaming on it, just email, work, surfing, etc. I guess I can always run a windows VM if something does not work.
    Just made the switch myself a few months back. Now that I've used a Mac, I'll never buy anything else for a home computer. I am even trying to convince my place of employment to get me a macbook for my job.

Anyway, I did lots and lots of research before switching because I'm a windows power user and i had a ton of windows games, software, etc. I highly recommend you purchase the Parallels Desktop for Mac software. It is a VM that will run on your Mac and you can install windows OS on it (as well as many other O/S such as Linux.) I bought it for peace of mind and now only use it to run Quicken. P.S. Mac has a version of Quicken but from the reviews I've read Intuit doesn't put as much effort into the Mac version and all the customer reviews basically said if you've been using Quicken for awhile on Windows stay with it.

Parallels also has a Coherence mode that allows you to access Mac programs from inside the windows VM and run Windows programs and have them appear seamless as part of the Mac desktop. It is a great piece of software for its price.

Also, with the new Intel Macs you can run Basecamp if you want which essentially runs Windows on one partition and OS X on the other allowing you to switch between the two. The difference here is that Parallels is VMWare where as Basecamp just allows you to switch partitions.

WARNING: With parallels or Basecamp either one, you will still have to run virus software and personal firewall on the Windows side. On a Mac you just don't have to run that stuff, but even though in the case of Parallels it seems as if you are "on the Mac" you are running the Windows O/S on the VM. The good news is, if you do get a virus on the windows VM, it only affects that VM disk space and not the rest of your Mac.

Finally, the latest version of Parallels (3.x) has additional features including support for 3D games. However, it is relatively new so some games are working well and others aren't. I expect the list of 3D games that run well on Parallels to increase with time. Not sure if you are a gamer or not.

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 799
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

My wife and I decided to make the switch about 2 years ago. The thing runs perfectly... and we've yet to get a virus even running wireless internet on it. We have Microsoft Office on it (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Etc) so there's nothing we used to do that we can no longer do. Most of it however is focused on Internet, Photo's, Video Editing, and Music. We love it. It's definitely worth the extra money.

Once you go Mac, You never go back.

CF Founder
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 205

If you really want the screen resolution, the MBPro is the only way to go. Obviously they seem over-priced at first but when you factor in security software costs and other organizational apps that you won't have to purchase, they're about the same.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.