Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 38

It boils down to whether CPR and staff can recruit and develop players

I really feel that they are getting about as much out of our current roster as you can expect. There were certainly calls here and there that I questioned and some games that were frustrating to watch, but overall, I'm confident in the coaching staff.

For us to take the next step and get beyond a roughly .500 caliber team, we need to upgrade our talent. Particularly on defense, but really at all positions. At ISU, at least initially, CPR won't be able to haul in a lot of 4/5 star athletes. But if we can get some good 3 stars with some decent offers, and more importantly get a lot of hidden gems, that can be developed, then we will become a solid program.

The next two recruiting classes are extremely important because if we can't improve, it will be hard to keep the momentum that CPR has going currently.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

Re: It boils down to whether CPR and staff can recruit and develop players

I think we have already seen some great results of player development. Jake Williams walked on, Jake Knott walked on, AJ Klien walked on (I think). It's been two years with 12 wins. The previous two years were 5 wins... We're getting there.

Hit it hard, every yard

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,279
    Given: 1,114

Quote Originally Posted by cdekovic View Post
    I think we have already seen some great results of player development. Jake Williams walked on, Jake Knott walked on, AJ Klien walked on (I think). It's been two years with 12 wins. The previous two years were 5 wins... We're getting there.
    AJ was a scholarship guy, but you have a good point.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Rookie
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Jake might have walked on. AJ was a scholly and early, early commit. Knott might have been CPR's first offer. He couldn't believe Chizik hadn' t offered him.

We need to upgrade our talent. No doubt. That's hard to do. We have one of the lowest budgets in the league. We're recruiting the weakest state for football talent in the league against an instate program that is currently better than ours. What we need to do to be successful is get kids who stick with the program for 4-5 years. If we can avoid turnover with players, it will help us avoid losing games we shouldn't lose to the Toledos and UNI's of the world. It will also help us pick-up an upset from time to time as well.

My biggest concern right now is that we are continuing to recruit kids whose best offer is ISU for a majority of our commits. Until we start beating a few more teams for athletes, we can't expect tremendous improvement in the on the field product.

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 40

I would say that a 3 star with a lot of good offers is not a hidden gem....

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

True, but we still need to add many more like them or better. Those guys are a very solid start. I think we'll have to be very similar to Kirk Ferentz and Iowa. They started off with a lot of unknown guys and developed them into NFL type players. In fact, that's still a large part of their strategy.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

On top of that, I'm hoping that some redshirts and a more robust roster will make for some better work in the trenches. He didn't really morgage the future at all to win any games in two pretty decent seasons. I'm really hoping to see that pay off with a more solid foundation and hoping for some even better progress when we have some size and depth.

We were deeply outmanned in the trenches this year. And I think that will be big. Our receivers on O getting more established bulk would be good too. I don't know if we held a decided advantage at any position this year against anybody that counted. Not a knock on these guys, a real testament to their heart and work. Hopefully some redshirts and young guys had that same drive in the weight room while waiting for their chance.

Addict
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IowaStateClones View Post
    I would say that a 3 star with a lot of good offers is not a hidden gem....
    Yes, I was tying to say hidden gems AND some 3 stars with good offers. My point is I don't think it's realistic to do it with only hidden gems, and I also don't believe we can expect CPR to recruit only 3+ stars.

Rookie
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mikeiastat View Post
    On top of that, I'm hoping that some redshirts and a more robust roster will make for some better work in the trenches. He didn't really morgage the future at all to win any games in two pretty decent seasons. I'm really hoping to see that pay off with a more solid foundation and hoping for some even better progress when we have some size and depth.

We were deeply outmanned in the trenches this year. And I think that will be big. Our receivers on O getting more established bulk would be good too. I don't know if we held a decided advantage at any position this year against anybody that counted. Not a knock on these guys, a real testament to their heart and work. Hopefully some redshirts and young guys had that same drive in the weight room while waiting for their chance.
    The guy who really took it on the chin was Chizik. Mac basically lost two years of recruiting for ISU with the way his tenure ended. Chizik was able to come in and stock the closet with at least serviceable talent that Rhodes was able to make into a competitive team. We lose the nucleus of that talent this year. We'll see if next year proves to be a challenge because of all the personnel losses we're going to have. Or, will next reflect that we have the talent matriculating through the program that when we lose probably 5-6 of our best players we can still compete

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by acgclone View Post
    I really feel that they are getting about as much out of our current roster as you can expect. There were certainly calls here and there that I questioned and some games that were frustrating to watch, but overall, I'm confident in the coaching staff.

For us to take the next step and get beyond a roughly .500 caliber team, we need to upgrade our talent. Particularly on defense, but really at all positions. At ISU, at least initially, CPR won't be able to haul in a lot of 4/5 star athletes. But if we can get some good 3 stars with some decent offers, and more importantly get a lot of hidden gems, that can be developed, then we will become a solid program.

The next two recruiting classes are extremely important because if we can't improve, it will be hard to keep the momentum that CPR has going currently.
    Wow, thanks for your deep introspect. I guess I never looked at things this way until you brought them up. Someone should e-mail this to CPR.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoShow97 View Post
    Wow, thanks for your deep introspect. I guess I never looked at things this way until you brought them up. Someone should e-mail this to CPR.
    There's really no need for this sass. He's starting a legitimate discussion, and I, for one, agree with him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 475
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    There's really no need for this sass. He's starting a legitimate discussion, and I, for one, agree with him.
    Well, who would disagree with the Earth revolving around the Sun. I don't think stating the obvious is starting any sort of "legitimate" discussion.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Accept the truth

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    The guy who really took it on the chin was Chizik. Mac basically lost two years of recruiting for ISU with the way his tenure ended. Chizik was able to come in and stock the closet with at least serviceable talent that Rhodes was able to make into a competitive team. We lose the nucleus of that talent this year. We'll see if next year proves to be a challenge because of all the personnel losses we're going to have. Or, will next reflect that we have the talent matriculating through the program that when we lose probably 5-6 of our best players we can still compete
    I agree that it's never a good thing to lose 5-6 of your best players, but Mac was JuCo heavy in his late years, and while a lot of the talent on this years teams were Mac's finds, it took them time to develop and there were a lot of holes that needed to be coached up. We we're on a downward trend as far as pulling from the "tallent bank."

I think chiz did help us a little by getting some talent in that we'll be using next year, A lot of them are going to need to improve a bit, (Receivers) to live up to some of those expectations, the chiz guys were young and sloppy this year. The big thing though is that while we WERE developing talent in the fire of the games, we hopefully are developing true talent, instead of walkons "gems" and question marks.

Not going overboard on the Jucos and Redshirting a few guys is hopefully going to be putting money back in the "Talent Bank." That is reason to be optomistic. While we're going to need it in the new Big Texas, I think that still the schedule could easily get easier than this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoShow97 View Post
    Well, who would disagree with the Earth revolving around the Sun. I don't think stating the obvious is starting any sort of "legitimate" discussion.
    I'm not trying to start a ****-slinging contest. It's easy to forget there's a wide range of knowledge levels here on CF.

You could simply say "this recruiting strategy is pretty well known."

I'm pretty sure we're all hostile and a little on edge...I know I sure am.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 50

Quote Originally Posted by mikeiastat View Post
    I agree that it's never a good thing to lose 5-6 of your best players, but Mac was JuCo heavy in his late years, and while a lot of the talent on this years teams were Mac's finds, it took them time to develop and there were a lot of holes that needed to be coached up..
    ????? Arnaud, ARob, Jake Williams, and Lamaak have started a whole lotta games...