Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2

Still a good year to me!!!

I had us going anywhere from 4-8 to 6-6. We finish right there in the middle. We had some exciting nights for sure. Who thought we were going to go into Austin and run it down their throats. Who here wouldn't have taken a chance to beat Nebraska on the final play of the game? To watch those kids fight tonight without their long-time leader in Austen was outstanding.

We've got a tough future ahead of us with the new conference setup. Every team in the Big 12 south has gotten better this year except for Texas, and I think it's safe to say that Missouri and Kansas St are going to continue to be tough competition. We can take pride in the fact that we've got a coach that loves ISU and a commitment to doing things the right way. It may take time to be a consistent winner, or it really may develop that we need to enjoy years like this and celebrate the occaisional season where we make and win bowl games. Either way, I'll put the cyclone gear on tomorrow for errands with my head held high.

Who knows what next year will bring. I'll start thinking about it tomorrow, but I'm damn proud of the year we just finished.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 193

Re: Still a good year to me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I had us going anywhere from 4-8 to 6-6.
    So did I, but that's when I thought UT would be a top ten team, and TT would be good. Those two will likely finish at the bottom of the Big 12 South.

Those two team falling down were a huge gift to ISU to help compensate for the tough non-con schedule, but ISU didn't capitalize. It's hard to feel good about that.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

F this post. Worst 5-7 season ever. Losing 3 close games = FML. WRs played like dog fecal matter tonight.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 66.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,527
    Given: 2,059

It's a bittersweet good, in that we exceeded some expectations, but we built some expectations along the way, and we couldn't seal the deal with those.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,395
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 1

Eh. This and the I love this team threads get us nothing.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 134
    Given: 149

This team had 5 wins with 3 chances to get win #6. Failed to do so.

Still a good season?

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 69

This team was good enough to make a bowl and we all know that. This was very disappointing. Colorado should have been a sure win.

Starter
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,082
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12

Quote Originally Posted by Istate View Post
    I had us going anywhere from 4-8 to 6-6. We finish right there in the middle. We had some exciting nights for sure. Who thought we were going to go into Austin and run it down their throats. Who here wouldn't have taken a chance to beat Nebraska on the final play of the game? To watch those kids fight tonight without their long-time leader in Austen was outstanding.

We've got a tough future ahead of us with the new conference setup. Every team in the Big 12 south has gotten better this year except for Texas, and I think it's safe to say that Missouri and Kansas St are going to continue to be tough competition. We can take pride in the fact that we've got a coach that loves ISU and a commitment to doing things the right way. It may take time to be a consistent winner, or it really may develop that we need to enjoy years like this and celebrate the occaisional season where we make and win bowl games. Either way, I'll put the cyclone gear on tomorrow for errands with my head held high.

Who knows what next year will bring. I'll start thinking about it tomorrow, but I'm damn proud of the year we just finished.
    I agree with everything you've said, but I also think it is great to have Nebraska and Colorado off the schedule. Also, texas schools will have to end up playing in weather for a change: no more putting the majority of "opposite division" games early in the year. Texas has some pretty bad problems and hopefully will miss a bowl game this year and the practice that comes with it - so we can beat them again next year. Rhoads knows Tommy Tuberville pretty well, and knew how to game plan for his hybrid approach. Baylor is better, but beatable, and disregarding this year's game, we've shown an ability to be competitive with Oklahoma.

KU is on a slide, and I'm still not sure why we've lost twice to K-State: they suck. Rhoads, with lesser talent, has been competitive with a Mizzou team that has made other teams look foolish.

We've got Utah off the schedule and Iowa at home.

If (and this is a big if) we can get QB figured out, it will be Rhoads' system, year 3 - so guys he recruited will start making a significant impact.

So, with all that said: I think we can do well next year.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IowaStateClones View Post
    This team was good enough to make a bowl and we all know that. This was very disappointing. Colorado should have been a sure win.
    We NEVER play well at Colorado, and they had just dispensed with their greatest liability that week. Dan Hawkins was a god-send to everyone in the Big 12.

I just wish they hadn't melted down against KU right before playing us. If they had squeaked out the win, Hawkins would have been in place, and given us a number of coaching gifts. Instead, we got a motivated team with the ex-coach's ticked off son at the helm...who is still seeking bowl eligibility.

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

really dude had chances to win three other game and didnt...

Addict
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 437
    Given: 81

Going into the season, I would have agreed with you. But after we found out how crappy/average UT and TT were, I feel like we missed a great opportunity to take a step forward.

Seriously, I know we had a tough schedule, but our schedule will always be this difficult from here on out. Obviously most years we won't have a Utah on the schedule, but UT will be back on top soon enough. Playing UT, OU, Iowa, Mizzou, Okie State, etc will be very similar to how it was back when we were in the Big 8 (just swap NU for UT and CU for TT/A&M). That wasn't exactly easy most years.

Overall, I'm not too depressed, but I do feel like we let a great opportunity slip away, ala the back to back years where we could have won the North and couldn't get it done.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't see it the same way: Texas is down (way down right now) and everyone in the league will work to keep it that way. They aren't going to miraculously "restore the order" in time for next year, and heck, some years they may be forced to play in snow. Even Tuberville complained about how cold Ames was...back in September! Okie State may or may not maintain its level - they could just as easily slide back as go forward.

And Stoops' Sooners, as good as they are, are NOT Switzer's, and never will be. And frankly, under Rhoads, ISU will not be Switzer's Cyclones, for that matter...and never will be.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSTATCyclone View Post
    We NEVER play well at Colorado, and they had just dispensed with their greatest liability that week. Dan Hawkins was a god-send to everyone in the Big 12.

I just wish they hadn't melted down against KU right before playing us. If they had squeaked out the win, Hawkins would have been in place, and given us a number of coaching gifts. Instead, we got a motivated team with the ex-coach's ticked off son at the helm...who is still seeking bowl eligibility.
    Okay so lets just accept a lose to Colorado every other year because we never play well there.

There is no reason to think this is a good year. Once we start accepting years like this, we will never end up being top of the conference like we are aspiring to be.

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 19

we are 2 plays away from 7 wins and a warm vacation this winter. Instead we will be staying home. Is it bad that my expectations are bowl game every year?

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyfan1843 View Post
    we are 2 plays away from 7 wins and a warm vacation this winter. Instead we will be staying home. Is it bad that my expectations are bowl game every year?
    No, If you don't expect a bowl game every year you turn into the Duke football team