Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 161

Peter King's MMQB - Thoughts on Michael Vick. Now banned from training camp

Some interesting stuff here...King makes excellent points. The more I read and think about this - them more I think Vick won't play a down in '07.

SI.com - Writers - Peter King: Falcons fear serious consequences if Vick trains

Summing up what I know and what I think is likely to happen in the Michael Vick dogfighting case this week:

WHAT I KNOW

The league has told Atlanta owner Arthur Blank the disciplinary ball is in his court, and Blank intends to act by disciplining Vick in some way by the end of Tuesday.

No matter what Blank does -- and this is in contrast to the NFL's original statement about letting the judicial process run its course -- commissioner Roger Goodell reserves the right to add on to whatever punitive action Blank will take. Both men can justify acting before Vick's trial in federal court because Vick insisted to Goodell and Blank he had no involvement at the property in question, an assertion that has been shot full of holes by four corroborating witnesses in the case.

Blank spent a couple of days anguishing over the case, and now, I am told, he is thinking about what to do next. He was at his ranch in Montana on Sunday, pondering his options. I am told he feels he has to take a stand and do something to discipline Vick or risk losing face in the eyes of the majority of sponsors and Georgians who back the team.

I also strongly believe new coach Bobby Petrino would rather have a training camp with the much-maligned Joey Harrington as his starting quarterback than have a training camp with Vick as his starter, considering all the attendant problems Vick's presence could cause. Would there be daily picketing by animal-rights groups? Would Vick, the face of the franchise, be booed lustily by most fans? Imagine the nightmare of preparing for the season with the Falcons faithful ripping the home team daily. The team has considered just that possibility.

I know the Falcons are deeply worried about the circus that training camp would be if Vick were on the field. There is concern over security at the 50-acre training-camp site and training complex in Flowery Branch, 40 minutes north of Atlanta. Would metal detectors be needed? Would critical signs be allowed? If Vick were scheduled to take the field on Friday, it's conceivable the Falcons would have to spend thousands -- and work nearly round the clock before then -- to ensure the security and safety of players and fans at camp, and to make sure the team could do its job in some sort of productive and harmonious way. "The work would get done, but I can't imagine getting booed at your own training camp,'' one longtime Falcon told me Saturday. "I guess you'd get used to it, but I don't know.''

And you can take this to the bank: If Vick does not play for any reason relating to the case, he will not earn all of the $6 million he's owed this year in base salary. The Falcons will find a way to take some money away as part of their dissatisfaction with Vick for putting them in this position -- a mess that has ruined any chance they had to be a contender this season. At the end of the day, Blank runs a football business. And imagine his bitterness knowing his franchise player, a player he committed $130 million to just 30 months ago, a player he personally wheeled around the sidelines when Vick broke his leg in 2003, got himself involved in something as distracting and hurtful as a federal dogfighting case.
    I forgot all about Blank pushing Vick around...

EDIT

Vick has now been ordered to stay away from training camp until further notice by the commish...

SI.com - NFL - Goodell*to Vick: Stay out of training camp - Monday July 23, 2007 10:29PM

"While it is for the criminal justice system to determine your guilt or innocence, it is my responsibility as commissioner of the National Football League to determine whether your conduct, even if not criminal, nonetheless violated league policies, including the Personal Conduct Policy," Goodell said in a letter to the quarterback.

Last edited by ISUFan22; 07-24-2007 at 08:11 AM.

Addict
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 923
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

Re: Peter King's MMQB - Thoughts on Michael Vick

What made you think he'd play before? Putting Vick on the field would be the definition of a PR disaster, and the distraction it would bring along with it would be unprecedented. It would make TO's accidental overdose look like amateur hour.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Peter King's MMQB - Thoughts on Michael Vick. Now banned from training camp

When things first came out, I didn't think he would see much of a penalty on 2007. Then he was indicted and would be tried in the "rocket court". Then I started believing we wouldn't see him much, if at all this year.

Now Goodell has banned him from training camp until further notice.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think he's played his last down of his career. I just can't see a scenario in which he plays again.

Starter
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

He's too talented not too play. There's been plenty of players who have played after facing much more serious charges. Not too necessarily make light of what Vick was involved in, but murderers and drug dealers have taken the field. If Vick wasn't as good as he is and as visible as he is, this wouldn't be a 10th of the deal that it has become. He will play again, maybe not for Atlanta, but for someone.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,142
    Given: 104

Whether or not he plays again will really depend on what happens at the trial. If he gets off, he's going to play. Or even if he gets off light. Maybe not in Atlanta, but that guy will make a team. Imagine Al Davis drooling over the prospect of picking up a disgraced Vick for league minimum. Or even Jerry Jones. Those guy wouldn't hesitate for a second. But, if does a fair amount of hard time, he might be gone for good.
    Regardless, I'm glad that they asked him to stay away but are still paying him. I'm not sure I like it that Goodell can punish him before he's been convicted. I hope it doesn't come to that. That sets a bad precedent.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think he's going to play because I don't think he's going to get off. I can't imagine that the federal government would go after a public figure with a case that would appeal to almost everyone's emotions unless they knew they had him. Why hasn't Vick publicly claimed he is innocent since the indictment?

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,142
    Given: 104

I don't think he's going to play because I don't think he's going to get off. I can't imagine that the federal government would go after a public figure with a case that would appeal to almost everyone's emotions unless they knew they had him. Why hasn't Vick publicly claimed he is innocent since the indictment?

That's a good point. He certainly isn't acting like like an outraged, innocent man. But, still you never know what legal advice he may have been given. The problem for him is that he was indicted with, i think, four other guys. You better believe prosecuters are going to try to get at least one of them to roll on him. If that happens, he's toast.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

And the problem for him in the league's eyes, is he continues to deny any involvement in this. Clearly there is enough evidence to support otherwise - or he wouldn't have been indicted by the grand jury.

Out of anything, it seems Goodell detests liars more than anything else.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 30

Guys, the problem is, he is totally innocent. I mean how was he supposed to know there was a dog fighting ring going on in his house. I mean, it is a big house.

This one time I had a cockfighting ring in my basement, but "little Jerry Seinfeld" ran up againt rooster that looked like a dog with a glove on his head. I grabbed little Jerry and ran away.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775