Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 0

Greg's Gameplan

Without knowing too much about Creighton's personnel, here is what I think Greg will try to do on Sunday:

-He'll make DG make shots. I'm not yet completely sold on DG's 3-point shooting ability and I'd be willing to bet that GMac is in that same category. I don't think he'll get the Doug Gottlieb treatment with a defender sagging off 12 feet, but he will be invited to shoot, especially early. If he's not hitting the plan will continue...if he's making them Creighton will step up to contest more.

-Defending JVB on the pick-and-pop: I suspect that Mac will have his on ball defenders go under (hoop side instead of player side) all ball screens by JVB with JVB's defender bodying him up to stay close and prevent the pick-and-pop 3's. This would leave some openings for our guards to shoot 3's. If DG isn't hitting this could be run with SC and Creighton would have to make a decision. Another option would be for the defender to shade the ball handler away from the screen so that the screen can't be utilized.

-Scotty will be heavily defended on the catch. My bet is he won't be allowed to shoot and will be guarded very closely in order to force him to penetrate. He is pretty decent from 8-10 feet once he pulls up to shoot or throws his floater up there, but he can turn it over before getting to that point.

-We have given up our fair share of offensive rebounds but we are also good in transition. I think GMac will send Lawson and Doug to the offenseive glass but will always have 3 guards retreat when a shot is up to minimize the transition game. He may only send one to the offensive glass.

-He will work to get Lawson isolated on the block with JVB. In spots where it is difficult to double from the other post or where doubling from the other post would make it a decision with leaving a Creighton shooter from outside. So far, CU has struggled from 3-point land so I would imagine we'll double down or double from the post and make them make some 3's to beat us.

-I can't really envision Doug hurting us with the ball in his hands with Ejim guarding him. Melvin is stronger and more athletic even if he gives up a few inches in height. On the perimeter Doug will have an advantage and be able to get some 3's off. Where I really worry about Doug is on the offensive glass and the discipline of our young defenders to box him out. Doug is a smart kid with a nose for the ball.

In the end, I think we'll win a close game (hope so anyway, or a blowout for that matter) but that is how I think Greg will try to operate.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 164
    Given: 81

Re: Greg's Gameplan

Doug may have a good day, dad won't.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

We are going to have to play our game. We have to push it up the floor. If we play their half court game we may be in trouble.

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 868
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 10

I don't know much of anything about Creighton, so I can only go off of what I know about McDermott. I think his gameplan will consist of guys dribbling out above the top of the key for 30-33 seconds before chucking up god-awful looking 3 pointers. If they go in, ISU is screwed. If not, we'll have a great chance to win the game.

Legend
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 987

My only real concern for this game is wondering how our guys will shoot the ball in a different gym with different sight lines. I think we'd smoke them at Hilton, especially when comparing scores.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 9

I am sure FH is aware of how GMAC plans to defend DG/Scotty/JVB. Our offense looks really different from how we played year ago.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 294

Quote Originally Posted by Clones21 View Post
    We are going to have to play our game. We have to push it up the floor. If we play their half court game we may be in trouble.
    Run them into the ground. They practice at a slow pace. Beat them going away in the second half.

They are going to let us shoot threes. We have too many three shooters to guard. They will pack it in.

We will get Lawson in foul trouble. Doug will have to pick up the slack. McD will be jumping around in pink shoes trying to get the players in the right spot.

CU will pack in the defense and we will just have to score over it.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 454
    Given: 396

Ejim needs to quit picking up 2 quick fouls. Regardless, we win this game unless we are ice cold from the perimeter...which will happen sometimes this year.

All-Star
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 948
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18

I think this game will turn into a classic style of play/pace battle. Creighton will be looking to slow down the pace and force the game inside on both ends of the court. We will be looking to go up tempo and force the game to the perimeter. Besides the obvious of who is making more shots on that day, whoever controls the pace and style of play will probably win the game.

When all is said and done, more is said than done

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Without knowing too much about Creighton's personnel, here is what I think Greg will try to do on Sunday:

-He'll make DG make shots. I'm not yet completely sold on DG's 3-point shooting ability and I'd be willing to bet that GMac is in that same category. I don't think he'll get the Doug Gottlieb treatment with a defender sagging off 12 feet, but he will be invited to shoot, especially early. If he's not hitting the plan will continue...if he's making them Creighton will step up to contest more.

-Defending JVB on the pick-and-pop: I suspect that Mac will have his on ball defenders go under (hoop side instead of player side) all ball screens by JVB with JVB's defender bodying him up to stay close and prevent the pick-and-pop 3's. This would leave some openings for our guards to shoot 3's. If DG isn't hitting this could be run with SC and Creighton would have to make a decision. Another option would be for the defender to shade the ball handler away from the screen so that the screen can't be utilized.

-Scotty will be heavily defended on the catch. My bet is he won't be allowed to shoot and will be guarded very closely in order to force him to penetrate. He is pretty decent from 8-10 feet once he pulls up to shoot or throws his floater up there, but he can turn it over before getting to that point.

-We have given up our fair share of offensive rebounds but we are also good in transition. I think GMac will send Lawson and Doug to the offenseive glass but will always have 3 guards retreat when a shot is up to minimize the transition game. He may only send one to the offensive glass.

-He will work to get Lawson isolated on the block with JVB. In spots where it is difficult to double from the other post or where doubling from the other post would make it a decision with leaving a Creighton shooter from outside. So far, CU has struggled from 3-point land so I would imagine we'll double down or double from the post and make them make some 3's to beat us.

-I can't really envision Doug hurting us with the ball in his hands with Ejim guarding him. Melvin is stronger and more athletic even if he gives up a few inches in height. On the perimeter Doug will have an advantage and be able to get some 3's off. Where I really worry about Doug is on the offensive glass and the discipline of our young defenders to box him out. Doug is a smart kid with a nose for the ball.

In the end, I think we'll win a close game (hope so anyway, or a blowout for that matter) but that is how I think Greg will try to operate.
    Don't you know that Doug McD was a higher ranked SF than Ejim. I'm sure he'll have his way with Ejim.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 991
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 27

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Run them into the ground. They practice at a slow pace. Beat them going away in the second half.

They are going to let us shoot threes. We have too many three shooters to guard. They will pack it in.

We will get Lawson in foul trouble. Doug will have to pick up the slack. McD will be jumping around in pink shoes trying to get the players in the right spot.

CU will pack in the defense and we will just have to score over it.
    I wouldn't say we have too many three point shooters. Only 3 people have more than 4 attempts, and one of those is shooting 25% (DG).

Right now, Scotty and JVB are our only legitimate three point threats.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 59

If Creighton guards JVB and Scotty very closely and prevents them from shooting 3's, then DG and Jake will just take the ball to the basket all day. Creighton isn't good enough defensively to guard the three well AND prevent penetration - they're not that athletic.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

As long as we keep our spacing something will open up. Ejim needs to do a nice job on Doug and stay out of foul trouble, and we'll need a big lift from Godfrey in the rebounding category when he hits the floor. They will play a slow 'em down game, so a 15 point victory over them is a large margin.....if they tried to run with us we'd beat 'em by 25.

Pro
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,617
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44

Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    If Creighton guards JVB and Scotty very closely and prevents them from shooting 3's, then DG and Jake will just take the ball to the basket all day. Creighton isn't good enough defensively to guard the three well AND prevent penetration - they're not that athletic.
    While I think that is true, I also think that Creighton will sag off of DG, Jake, and Bubu enough that it will limit penetration in hopes of making those guys make long jumpers.

At least, that is what I think they will try to do.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Starter
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 473
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post

Great write-up, thanks for quality material.

To add -

1. I think Freddie and defense will overplay passing lanes. Creighton doesn't have the speed to burn ISU on the fakes, and ISU has good length to recover. This should help the ISU transition game.

2. I think Creighton/McD will attempt to turn most possessions into 25 second+ to slow down and frustrate the ISU transition game.

3. I think ISU will easily win the rebounding edge, mainly because i agree with the OP that Creighton will send at most 2 guys to the glass on the offensive end to stop the transition game.

4. I think ISU will work on lane penetration early, try to force the Creighton defense to collapse somewhat and draw fouls. Wouldn't be surprised to see Phillips, Garrett, SC, and Jake all in the game at once, especially if we get into the bonus early.

I think ISU will have a substantial foul shooting advantage. If Creighton can protect the ball and limit the steals and total possessions for ISU, it could be close. But i think in the end, ISU is too quick for Creighton to stay in the game for 40 minutes. My prediction: tight game through 30 minutes, with ISU pulling away in the last eight minutes for a 10 point win.

ISU 79, Creighton 69

"It's just another gym" -- Jamaal Tinsley, on playing at Phog Allen Fieldhouse