Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Are there any Missouri fans lurking?

Are there any Missouri fans that can give us a run down on your team?

What are the strenghts of your defense? How good is your defensive line? Have teams been able to run against your defense?

What are the strengths of your offense? Have teams been able to get pressure on your quarterback? How good is your running game?

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 721
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 2

Re: Are there any Missouri fans lurking?

I'm a closet Mizzou fan since I grew up down there. I've watched most of their games on TV this year and two things stick out for me. If they decide they want to run the ball watch out the running back is better than average. He's probably in the top half of the conference. If we get pressure on Gabbert he'll make a bone head mistake.

On the other side of the ball we should be able to run on them all day which I think plays into the strengths we have now that AA is out. Just feed the ball to whoever is in at tail back and run that zone read. If we need to air it out we're in trouble.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,204
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by mramseyISU View Post
    I'm a closet Mizzou fan since I grew up down there. I've watched most of their games on TV this year and two things stick out for me. If they decide they want to run the ball watch out the running back is better than average. He's probably in the top half of the conference. If we get pressure on Gabbert he'll make a bone head mistake.

On the other side of the ball we should be able to run on them all day which I think plays into the strengths we have now that AA is out. Just feed the ball to whoever is in at tail back and run that zone read. If we need to air it out we're in trouble.

Good analysis. Our "strength" on offense is their weakness plus it keeps their offense off the field. I say run on first down, run on second down, and run on third down.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,379
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 0

Alton Smith may be the first defensive player drafted if he decides to come out. DE for Mizzou. Dude is scary.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    Good analysis. Our "strength" on offense is their weakness plus it keeps their offense off the field. I say run on first down, run on second down, and run on third down.
    And run on 4th down.

WE ARE IOWA STATE

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,404
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 98

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    And run on 4th down.

Hell, I think Colorado even ran on the infamous "5th down" against em!

Run the ball this Saturday!

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I am here, but that might be it.....

1) MU defense strengths: pretty darn good at everything when healthy...but not healthy right now. Pass defense is probably the weakest link right now. Teams have only been successful running the ball when there has been a breakdown (big plays). Nobody is consistently lining up and running for over 3+ypc against this D. But with all the LBs out and the best DT out, anything can happen.

2) MU offense: Dang good OL. Really the only weakness of the offense has been playcalling and WR drops. IF the OC stays dynamic with the running plays and calls running plays consistently, the offense is very balanced can make big plays through the air or on the ground. Nobody really gets to the QB often against this OL.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 68
    Given: 157

Thanks supertone and others. Hopefully our, ISU's, D can get to Gabbert more than they did CU's QB.

Cyclone Sports: The next best thing since MOTHER'S MILK!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 532
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by supertone View Post

1) MU defense strengths: pretty darn good at everything when healthy...but not healthy right now. Pass defense is probably the weakest link right now. Teams have only been successful running the ball when there has been a breakdown (big plays). Nobody is consistently lining up and running for over 3+ypc against this D. But with all the LBs out and the best DT out, anything can happen.

2) MU offense: Dang good OL. Really the only weakness of the offense has been playcalling and WR drops. IF the OC stays dynamic with the running plays and calls running plays consistently, the offense is very balanced can make big plays through the air or on the ground. Nobody really gets to the QB often against this OL.
    That's interesting to know. Our C is usually one of, if not, our best O-lineman.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Personally, I think you'd be better off not pressuring gabbert. Rush 3 guys, spy him with another so he can't take off. Play tight man coverage and let the WRs get frustrated.

Don't let BG run and attacking the WRs, not the QB, has been the most successful way to stop this offense lately. Trying to get to BG too hard just leaves the quick hits, screens, etc. open which is how the offense builds confidence/momentum.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Thanks for the report supertone.

Are the injury problems a new development? It doesn't bode well for us if we can't consistently pickup 4-5 yards on running plays. Our offense is not really designed for big plays. When we can get 4-6 yards on first downs then we have been pretty successful. When we struggle on first down that has really held us back.

How has you team been against quarterbacks that can run the football?

We will probably struggle to get pressure on your quarterback if others have as well. Our defensive line has improved in that area in the second half of the season, but we didn't even get a quarterback hurry against CU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,204
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 228
    Given: 47

Personally, I think you'd be better off not pressuring gabbert. Rush 3 guys, spy him with another so he can't take off. Play tight man coverage and let the WRs get frustrated.

Don't let BG run and attacking the WRs, not the QB, has been the most successful way to stop this offense lately. Trying to get to BG too hard just leaves the quick hits, screens, etc. open which is how the offense builds confidence/momentum.
    Have you seen ISU play this year? Not getting pressure on the QB is their specialty! This bodes well for Saturday.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 398
    Given: 457

Missouri throws the ball to quick for us to get to there QB. See OU. Basically the same style of offense.

Nobody but HB knows for sure. You pretty much know nothing....like Knownothing would like to say.
    Word

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    Thanks for the report supertone.

Are the injury problems a new development? It doesn't bode well for us if we can't consistently pickup 4-5 yards on running plays. Our offense is not really designed for big plays. When we can get 4-6 yards on first downs then we have been pretty successful. When we struggle on first down that has really held us back.

How has you team been against quarterbacks that can run the football?

We will probably struggle to get pressure on your quarterback if others have as well. Our defensive line has improved in that area in the second half of the season, but we didn't even get a quarterback hurry against CU.
    No, the injury problems aren't new but they are getting worse every week. We have yet to play a game with the true starting 11 on the field. We just converted a starting strong safety to OLB last week. That means we are playing some freshmen at safety quite often in backup roles.

We had the best DT duo in the conference until the OU game. Our #1 guy, Hamilton broke his ankle and is out for the season. His backups are either much lighter (he was 6'4", 305-310) or much less experienced. We have a freshman getting more PT at DT every week (Foster) who is a monster physically but has troubles with the schemes/stunts at times.

Our starting MLB and backup MLB have both been out with injury. They are more like co-starters but losing either one hurt badly, let alone both.

As for the running QB, we haven't played many "true" runners. Off the top of my head QBs who "could" run that we played are Scheelhaase (illini), JJ (A&M), Martinez (NU), Hansen (CU), and the KSU QBs. The only ones who really run are Illini, NU, and KSU. We had no problems containing Illini or NU QBs. KSU's QBs gave MU some problems for the first half but not the second half. I think that was mostly due to shutting down Daniel Thomas (66 yards).

If you start getting too run heavy, we started running a 5-3-3 last week vs KSU that seemed to work well vs the option. Our strength is definitely DE and we put 3 or 4 of them out there at once depending on the situation in that formation.

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

No, the injury problems aren't new but they are getting worse every week. We have yet to play a game with the true starting 11 on the field. We just converted a starting strong safety to OLB last week. That means we are playing some freshmen at safety quite often in backup roles.

We had the best DT duo in the conference until the OU game. Our #1 guy, Hamilton broke his ankle and is out for the season. His backups are either much lighter (he was 6'4", 305-310) or much less experienced. We have a freshman getting more PT at DT every week (Foster) who is a monster physically but has troubles with the schemes/stunts at times.

Our starting MLB and backup MLB have both been out with injury. They are more like co-starters but losing either one hurt badly, let alone both.

As for the running QB, we haven't played many "true" runners. Off the top of my head QBs who "could" run that we played are Scheelhaase (illini), JJ (A&M), Martinez (NU), Hansen (CU), and the KSU QBs. The only ones who really run are Illini, NU, and KSU. We had no problems containing Illini or NU QBs. KSU's QBs gave MU some problems for the first half but not the second half. I think that was mostly due to shutting down Daniel Thomas (66 yards).

If you start getting too run heavy, we started running a 5-3-3 last week vs KSU that seemed to work well vs the option. Our strength is definitely DE and we put 3 or 4 of them out there at once depending on the situation in that formation.

We usually attempt to have a balanced offense, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us run a little more with our backup quarterback in the game. Our backup quarterback is quicker then Austen Arnaud, but he isn't as physical a runner. If you can take away our running game it is going to be tough for us.