Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Colorado-offensive line performance

I was in attendance at the CU meltdown. The weather was perfect, the stadium setting ideal for college football, the significance of the game for the Clones at a peak and then the rest is history. Take CU's long kick-off return and fumble recovery for a TD off the board and the defense actually played well enough for ISU to win. -6 yards rushing and 8 QB sacks are a clear indication of the problem. Our offensive line was completely stymied with the CU blitz packages. It lasted the whole game and keep in mind this team was coming in rated very low against the run. I was really stunned that our staff could not either make the necessary adjustments or do not have the ability to communicate with the o-line players how to adjust. The local post-game commentary and the sports pages the next day detailed how much this was a factor in this game. The biggest disappointment to me this season is the continued inconsistent play of this group and how they have not improved this year. They appear to physically have the tools so I question the ability of the o-line coach. I hope Ben Bruns addresses this issue with some commentary.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,133
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 143
    Given: 96

Re: Colorado-offensive line performance

I'm in no position to question any player or group of player's commitment or effort during a game. And I 'm no expert.

However, it seems there are games where the offensive line plays way, way below their capabilities. I am not smart enough to know if it is lack of effort, game plan, etc. But I would say that the O-line lost the game and cost Austin the chance to finish his career healthy. They owe the team their best effort on Saturday.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,032
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 341

I agree about the consistancy of this Oline, for the life of me I can't figure out how they can hold it together so well against the fastest and most aggressive defense they play all season 1 week and then look pathetic the next.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 829
    Given: 483

Playcalling made the OL look worse and gave them a much tougher job (and yeah they had a bad day on top of that).

The defense stacked the box and blitzed all day, and we rarely attempted to throw downfield and make them pay. We have to beat the blitz by burning them, which we did not do.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 793
    Given: 525

I am afraid the adjustments are assuming in action when the gameplan goes awry. Maybe CU blitzed more than ever. Well, folks, then maybe the game plan needed to change on the spot. It was humbling to see that some games you cannot run the ball. It should have been rolloutville USA and screen pass bonanza trying to put the pressure on the blitzing. We appeared we were just going to keep AA in the middle no matter what. Well, it did not work, just like other games.

It really does beg the question that maybe we need Plan B going tinto a game just in case our Plan A does not work.

Good chance MO will put a dent in our Plan A.

We need to take what they give you, gang.

I cannot say that our playcalling has been stellar except for about 15-20% of the time this season. last year, it was similar. We seem too predictable like the Days of Dan.

Last edited by Wesley; 11-16-2010 at 09:40 AM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I am afraid the adjustments are assuming in action when the gameplan goes awry. Maybe CU blitzed more than ever. Well, folks, then maybe the game plan needed to change on the spot. It was humbling to see that some games you cannot run the ball. It should have been rolloutville USA and screen pass bonanza trying to put the pressure on the blitzing. We appeared we were just going to keep AA in the middle no matter what. Well, it did not work, just like other games.

It really does beg the question that maybe we need Plan B going tinto a game just in case our Plan A does not work.

Good chance MO will put a dent in our Plan A.

We need to take what they give you, gang.

I cannot say that our playcalling has been stellar except for about 15-20% of the time this season. last year, it was similar. We seem too predictable like the Days of Dan.
    Agree. We have failed to make halftime adjustments more than once. It isn't like we haven't seen blitzes this year but every time we do, we fail to adjust. WE can't pick them up, we can't audible to take advantage, etc. And our OL struggles with any kind of stunting or movement witht he DL. Give credit to CU. they watched game film, saw our weakensses, and took advantage. WE did not adjust nor have we adjusted all year.

I will always go back to one play aginst OU. OU brings their corner. Lenz, Franklin, and Arnaud all point to the CB indicating that he is blitzing. The ball is snapped, Arnaud looks to the vacated area, and Lenz and Franklin run downfield 10+ yards, the RB fails to pick up the blitzer, and the CB blitzes and causes AA to throw the ball away.

"Not at the table Carlos."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 6

The only pass I will give us the more that I think about it is Arnaud's ankle. It was still taped and his first step was not there most of the game. When he cannot run or scramble we have shown to be a completely different offense.

That does not excuse the lack of adjustments but does explain some of the sacks and drive killing losses.

Wide Right & Natty Lite - Loyal Sons, Forever True. With beer!

Addict
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 474
    Given: 406

Quote Originally Posted by d4nim4l View Post
    The only pass I will give us the more that I think about it is Arnaud's ankle. It was still taped and his first step was not there most of the game. When he cannot run or scramble we have shown to be a completely different offense.

That does not excuse the lack of adjustments but does explain some of the sacks and drive killing losses.

It seems that this game was defined on the line of scrimmage. I'm at a loss to understand how we could do so poorly on both offensive and defensive lines.

Fortunately, we have seen better days on the line this season and those days are good enough to beat Missouri.

Glad that Macklin is in the NFL!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

We goes the line goes, and have all year. If the line plays well, we can hang with anyone. If the line plays poorly, we can lose to anyone.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.