Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 170
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 31

Twister Sister Summary - Fennelly Gets 500!

I'll put you out of your misery. The best non-secret is out. Coach Fennelly has hit the 500 victory mark in his career. What a huge, wonderful accomplishment!! Congrats Coach! Final score - ISU 65 Drake 46.

The Twister Sisters were playing a huge game tonight. Not only was this against an instate rival. It was against a team that put up the most points of any team against us last year. You might guess it was payback, but there are so many new faces on the ISU squad that the argument is probably minor.

ISU started off strong rolling out to an early 12-6 lead behind Bolte. She obviously has learned some lessons from last year as she kept working and shooting even when she was missing. She ended up with 10 first half points that came at opportune times. She had 16 for the game. Solid outing for our lone senior.

For those of you that haven't been impressed with Big C (Hallie), in the first half she dominated the boards, hit some key free throws, and also made some freshman mistakes by turning the ball over too many times. She followed this up with some strong rebounding in the second half by pulling in a game total of FOURTEEN rebounds and hitting her free throws. Keep your eye on this freshman. She is starting for a reason. Believe me folks, I did not see this coming this year.

The first half was a typical solid period with the game staying around 1-2 points until ISU began to put the clamps on and stretching out to hold a 32-20 lead at the break.

The second half started with back and forth misses by both squads before it seemed like it was the Pop show. She made one hoop but seemed to find a way to miss free throws, baskets and foul at the same time. Have to admit she hustles but she was throwing up bricks tonight.

Both teams continued to miss but ISU started to turn Drake misses into points as Prins, Pop, and Bolte all scored to stretch the lead to 18 four minutes into the half. One of the most critical aspects of the game occurred and it was everything Drake feared coming into the game - Hackbarth - yes the same unstoppable player who burnt us to pieces last year - picked up her 4th foul 5 minutes into the half forcing her to the bench. She wasn't quite the same after that.

Drake was living and dying by the 3 pointer and believe me they were dying badly. It was a sad and horrible death as they were throwing up bricks against the ISU defense. It seemed like a repeat of the Western Illinois game as Drake was stuck on two points for six minus of the half. The sisters smothered Drake not allowing them to get any uncontested shots off. It was bad enough that Drake put Hackbarth back into the game with four fouls at the 12 minute mark. They realized it just wasn't happening without her.

It was fortunate that ISU had built a big lead because things got sloppy for the last six minutes late in the game. Poor defense, bigs not rebounding and missed shots allowed Drake to run off 14 or so points while we sat fairly stagnant. Pop, Prins and Bolt finally found the lid, removed it from the basket and helped to stave off the Drake run. In a matter of seconds the sisters rattled off 10 points to officially end the game.

It was a coming out party for LM as she showed that she can shoot given the opportunity. She had a very "Aus-like" line tonight hitting for 11 points, 8 assists, and 4 boards. That should open some eyes to her abilities.

What we saw tonight was what has become the new signature of ISU basketball. Long known for the 3-ball, ISU has developed into a defense oriented team. Play defense and the offensive end opens up. For the second game in a row the Twister Sisters put the clamps on an opponent. Drake rarely found an open or uncontested shot. These are good contests for the youngsters to work into the system. The Sisters held Drake to 6 points through 13 minutes of the second half. Wow.

Big concern of the game - the inability of our bigs to score. There were too many missed bunnies. Bill was not happy with the bigs late in the game and put them on the bench. Stat line - between Prins, Pop, Zimm, and Big C they were a combined 9 of 27. Not very good folks. We went through some spurts of turnovers, but that wasn't terrible tonight. Those spurts did allow Drake to make some minions at us. Other concern of the game - free throw shooting. For the second game in a row the ladies have been shooting horribly from the line. Western Illinois - 60%. Tonight only 50%. That will cost you games.

So…we took care of what was a good test for a young squad. The next six games will get even tougher as the Sisters go on the road and play some top-25 teams. I'm feeling good about the defense, but will our bigs find the basket? Big pluses are seeing Bolte playing with consistency, LM leading the team, and the young players showing they belong. Its a tie for player of the game with Bolt and LM sharing the honors.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Fennelly Gets 500!

Congrats to Coach and all his Gals that made this possible, Could not happen to a nicer Man.....

Congratulations Coach well Done!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Congrats Bill!

"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

ISU is very very lucky to have Coach Fennelly as its head coach. What an incredible career he has had!

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 7

Congrats coach. Hoiberg only has 498 to go.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 9

Congrats Bill!!!

Here's to 500 more!

Pro
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by kkise View Post
    Congrats coach. Hoiberg only has 498 to go.
    That's what Fred said yesterday in the post game interview. Someone than pointed out that Hoiberg does has a better winning percentage at 100%!

Last edited by BoxsterCy; 11-15-2010 at 09:44 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I definitely want to give my congrats to BF. He definitely deserves it. He is such a great man.

My thoughts on the players...

Kelsey, the lone senior, wow! She has stepped up this year, and is acting like a senior. When the team struggled, she pushed them.

Schroll was fun to watch start. I think many of us were happy to see her start. Didn't rebound as much as she usually does though, but that won't last long.

Mansfield is a assist machine. 8 assist tonight. Averaging 8.5 assists in the first 2 games. I agree, she is starting to look like an Aus.

Hallie: if she does not get honor this year, I will be surprised. Her rebounding is amazing. She has tons of talent. It will be fun to watch her as she continues to adjust to D1 bball.

Pop: Didn't player her best game, but she continued to be aggressive.

Prins is starting show more strength. She has definitely played her best game tonight. Once she has fully recovered she'll be unstoppable.

Kelsey H went out there and competed for her starting spot. Made a few 3 pointers.

It wasn't Z's best game. Only having 1 rebound and 2 points.

Elly: for being a walk on then a scholarship player she is playing with confidence. She is definitely a fan favorite, and it is nice to see her play some minutes.

Darcie is not getting much minutes, but I think once she adjusts to the game she'll get a few more minutes.

Cole is definitely better than last year. She had 3 assist

Overall the girls need to work on free throws! BF can't be happy with that.

I thought the game was amazing. It was nice to see the girls play well tonight.

Once again congrats BF and WBB Players

Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 63.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 565
    Given: 529

Congrats to Coach and the players! Obviously a huuuuuge accomplishment!

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 65

Congrats Coach Fennelly! Here's to many more to come!

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 17

Congrats coach! Great game to be at tonight. The 2nd half opening run was impressive, I think we went on a 16-2 run pretty easily.

Legend
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 65

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Walk On
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

In the spring of 1996, I was a graduate assistant with the band program. As part of that position, I was in charge of the Pep Band for the trip to the Big 8 Championship tournament in Salina, Kansas. In the tunnel at that horrible arena before the game, I had the pleasure of meeting Coach Fennelly. Although our conversation only lasted a few minutes, I came away from it a life long fan of that man. The fact that he took the time before a tournament game to seek out the band, and thank them in person shows you what kind of man he is.

I feel that Cyclone nation sometimes forgets how far (and how quickly) Coach Fennelly turned around the women's basketball program at Iowa State. In the early 1990's, Hilton was deserted for women's game, and I swear it felt like the band members outnumbered the actually fans at the games. All that changed when Bill came to town.

I am so proud that you're our coach.

Congratulations Coach Fennelly

Pro
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 1

Before Fennelly got here, there were years when our girls lost virtually every single game. It was ugly. What Fennelly has done at Iowa State is amazing. I'm a huge fan of his.
    Congrats Coach! Cyclone legend.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I started in 1982, but I don't think we had a pep band at all for Deb Oing's 9-18 club.

I know for certain I was in the Women's Pep Band in '83 when Tonya "So good it" Burns was on a tear and attendance went from family & friends to 300 or more per game. Sometimes during student break when we played a directional or lower division school, the pep band outnumbered the audience plus Hilton staff.

Tonya brought some folks in, but we in Iowa were still playing 6 player BBall at the time (along with Oklahoma) and fandom of the womens college game was relegated to mostly family and friends.

They didn't keep attendance figures back then - but crowds for womens basketball were way below mens baseball in the Spring, which I also attended.

Deb Oing struggled to succeed, but she had Tonya. Burns was good student but an absolute basketball junkie. I remember taking a charge from her in a pick-up game at State Gym and her apologizing. I told her the pleasure was all mine. She wasn't impressed and ruined me the rest of the game. She was relentless and skillful and her number proudly hangs in our rafters.

Then came the trips so Salinas. I'm not going to go into the whole Big 8 era but it was fun for a college student who was legal to drink at 19 and was asked to wear a Colorado shirt and play in a "Colorado Band" for free food and perks even after the ISU game had ended. The stories those buses and hotel rooms could tell!

The Fennelly Era is by far the best for success and the sport itself. The fact that THOUSANDS attend ISU games still blows my mind. The games being TELEVISED blows my mind. The pep band sounding so sweet and loud blows my mind. And we haven't even talked about the team itself yet.

These young ladies - and our entire coaching staff - have produced a ton of success and exciting athletic competition worthy of attending every single game. Fennelly has singlehandidly made Womens Basketball relevant and competitive at ISU. It's fun to watch, fun to root for, and makes season ticket renewals a no-brainer.

Grats on 500 Bill! But moreso - GRATS on being you and choosing Iowa State University.

--------
    Pereant osores!
    --------