Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 109

Twister Sister Summary - Game one in the bag

The first game of the new season is in the record books and it was a tale of two halves. Like most things that consist of two halves, one was prettier than the other. In this case the second half was a textbook example of…well, I'm getting ahead of myself.

The sisters came out at the beginning of the game with some new starters as was expected, but seeing Haille, LM, and Harris starting with the Bolt and Pop was a small surprise. I probably shouldn't have been after the way that Harris and Hallie played in the exhibition games. The sisters started out hot with Bolte being on fire from the three point line. ISU raced out to an early lead only to see the Leathernecks creep back into the game on several occasions. This could be primarily attributed to poor defensive play on the part of our ladies. WIU hit their own key three point shots and got within two points on a few occasions after ISU either turned the ball over, missed a rare rebound or just sagged off too far. ISU again edged out to a nice lead before the half before again allowing WIU to creep back one more time as ISU held a slim 31-26 lead at the break. So, what was good about the first half? Outside of Bolt being on fire and playing like a senior leader, there were some nice surprises and some disappointments. Pop. What can you say about this woman? She started a bit slow tonight, but before long the fiery red head's body was flying around, pulling in rebounds, ripping arms off of opponents (at least it seemed like it), and showing her refined free throw shooting. She wasn't perfect, but man I do love her hard play and tough attitude. Another nice surprise was the continued solid play of Hallie. She may look frail but this is an athlete people. She has spring, long reach, quickness, and good court sense. She's going to be a fun one to watch in the coming years. Can we say "Greenfield who"? Outside of that the first half was one you wouldn't want to think about very long. It was like a hangover from the football game.

I told my friend that I wouldn't want to be a part of the halftime "festivities." Well, whatever was said, it worked. Here is the bottom line. The sisters held WIU to four, yes FOUR points for the first 16 minutes of the second half. The defense was absolutely amazing in the second half. It didn't matter who was on the court, the ladies in red (actually white) literally shut down the WIU offense. There were several shot clock violations. There were rushed shots. The result? The Twister Sisters cleaned off the boards (38-18) and got enough shots to fall that they slowly pulled away from the visitors. It wasn't pretty at times, but it was methodical. As Coach F. stated in the post game, anytime you hold a team to six points in a half you give yourself a good chance to win. The team played with more energy and grit. Zimmerman went from being a fouler to being someone you didn't dare try to take a rebound from. Prins found herself in the right place for key boards. The vacuum cleaner awards go to Pop and Jess for their 8 and 7 board respectively. Pop put it into another gear in the second half. She played more like a junior than a sophomore. You could see the maturity brought on by a season of success in 09-10. Jess also brought more hustle to the game. She made a couple of turnovers on passes to the middle, but she sliced and diced and worked her way to 5 points and 7 boards. Not bad. Pop ended up with 9 points, 8 boards, and would be my MVP if it wasn't for the Bolt.

Bolt played a fantastic game. Yes, she made a couple of mistakes, but she was a perfect 6-6 from the 3 point line and shot 80% for the game while grabbing four boards. Nicely done. She definitely stepped up and made a statement for her team. Who else to talk about? Well, the young girls didn't do much to impact the scoring except for Hallie who dropped in 8 solid points. I loved watching her cover the opponent on inbounds plays. She clearly frustrated them with her quickness and long reach. Outside of that you didn't see much on the scoreboard from the newbies. Harris struggled to break free around the line and LM missed everything she put up. Prins added to the frustration as she appears to still have soft hands.

Nice victory for the ladies in a game we were expected to win. So what is the overall assessment? We've got a long, long way to go to be a top 25 team. We may be ranked, but that is the image of last year's team getting respect. The team has a very, very tough schedule coming up starting with Drake on Monday. The game is at Hilton which will help, but it will be a test to see if this young team can start a game like it finished this one. In the coming 7 games they play at least 3 ranked teams in what Coach F. calls the toughest non-conference slate he's ever had. The ladies are going to have to grow up fast. Consistent scoring from multiple sources, hustle, defense and a better free throw percentage will be critical to emerge from this gauntlet in good shape. They literally could go 2-5 or 7-0 during this time. This is where our coaching will come into play. Hang on to your britches everyone….it all starts Monday with Drake. One baby step at a tme….one at a time...

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 4

Re: Twister Sister Summary - Game one in the bag

Nice write-up, acoustimac! I had to work and was only able to check the score on my cell every so often. Thanks for capturing the mood. That must have been a fantastic defensive effort in the second half. I suspect there was a motivational speech at the half. I hope there is some appropriate celebration, Monday, for #500. In Fennelly's office there is a spot for that game ball.

“We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

cyclONEnation
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 45

Great write up, thanks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 133

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    The first game of the new season is in the record books and it was a tale of two halves. Like most things that consist of two halves, one was prettier than the other. In this case the second half was a textbook example of…well, I'm getting ahead of myself.

The sisters came out at the beginning of the game with some new starters as was expected, but seeing Haille, LM, and Harris starting with the Bolt and Pop was a small surprise. I probably shouldn't have been after the way that Harris and Hallie played in the exhibition games. The sisters started out hot with Bolte being on fire from the three point line. ISU raced out to an early lead only to see the Leathernecks creep back into the game on several occasions. This could be primarily attributed to poor defensive play on the part of our ladies. WIU hit their own key three point shots and got within two points on a few occasions after ISU either turned the ball over, missed a rare rebound or just sagged off too far. ISU again edged out to a nice lead before the half before again allowing WIU to creep back one more time as ISU held a slim 31-26 lead at the break. So, what was good about the first half? Outside of Bolt being on fire and playing like a senior leader, there were some nice surprises and some disappointments. Pop. What can you say about this woman? She started a bit slow tonight, but before long the fiery red head's body was flying around, pulling in rebounds, ripping arms off of opponents (at least it seemed like it), and showing her refined free throw shooting. She wasn't perfect, but man I do love her hard play and tough attitude. Another nice surprise was the continued solid play of Hallie. She may look frail but this is an athlete people. She has spring, long reach, quickness, and good court sense. She's going to be a fun one to watch in the coming years. Can we say "Greenfield who"? Outside of that the first half was one you wouldn't want to think about very long. It was like a hangover from the football game.

I told my friend that I wouldn't want to be a part of the halftime "festivities." Well, whatever was said, it worked. Here is the bottom line. The sisters held WIU to four, yes FOUR points for the first 16 minutes of the second half. The defense was absolutely amazing in the second half. It didn't matter who was on the court, the ladies in red (actually white) literally shut down the WIU offense. There were several shot clock violations. There were rushed shots. The result? The Twister Sisters cleaned off the boards (38-18) and got enough shots to fall that they slowly pulled away from the visitors. It wasn't pretty at times, but it was methodical. As Coach F. stated in the post game, anytime you hold a team to six points in a half you give yourself a good chance to win. The team played with more energy and grit. Zimmerman went from being a fouler to being someone you didn't dare try to take a rebound from. Prins found herself in the right place for key boards. The vacuum cleaner awards go to Pop and Jess for their 8 and 7 board respectively. Pop put it into another gear in the second half. She played more like a junior than a sophomore. You could see the maturity brought on by a season of success in 09-10. Jess also brought more hustle to the game. She made a couple of turnovers on passes to the middle, but she sliced and diced and worked her way to 5 points and 7 boards. Not bad. Pop ended up with 9 points, 8 boards, and would be my MVP if it wasn't for the Bolt.

Bolt played a fantastic game. Yes, she made a couple of mistakes, but she was a perfect 6-6 from the 3 point line and shot 80% for the game while grabbing four boards. Nicely done. She definitely stepped up and made a statement for her team. Who else to talk about? Well, the young girls didn't do much to impact the scoring except for Hallie who dropped in 8 solid points. I loved watching her cover the opponent on inbounds plays. She clearly frustrated them with her quickness and long reach. Outside of that you didn't see much on the scoreboard from the newbies. Harris struggled to break free around the line and LM missed everything she put up. Prins added to the frustration as she appears to still have soft hands.

Nice victory for the ladies in a game we were expected to win. So what is the overall assessment? We've got a long, long way to go to be a top 25 team. We may be ranked, but that is the image of last year's team getting respect. The team has a very, very tough schedule coming up starting with Drake on Monday. The game is at Hilton which will help, but it will be a test to see if this young team can start a game like it finished this one. In the coming 7 games they play at least 3 ranked teams in what Coach F. calls the toughest non-conference slate he's ever had. The ladies are going to have to grow up fast. Consistent scoring from multiple sources, hustle, defense and a better free throw percentage will be critical to emerge from this gauntlet in good shape. They literally could go 2-5 or 7-0 during this time. This is where our coaching will come into play. Hang on to your britches everyone….it all starts Monday with Drake. One baby step at a tme….one at a time...
    You did not mention two of the best plays of the night. One Jess blocked the shot then took it the length of the floor for a layup and two she grabs a rebound and throws the other player to the floor(the other player reached in and tried to grab the ball) and drives to the basket running over the person trying to guard her for the basket and a foul.

Walk On
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 148
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

You forgot to mention that LM had 9 assist. Like they say she's not a scorer. She's a passer. I will admit I was scared for our ladies the first half, but the second half really impressed me.

Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Greenfield who? Not sure I understand that comment as they completely play 2 different positions. Not sure why you would bag on a 18 year old girl either. I'm sure Greenfield would rather open up with Rutgers who Stanford plays today instead of playing Western Illinois.

I'm sure Coach Hoiberg is saying Harrison who also right now.

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 109

Quote Originally Posted by Toby4ISU View Post
    Greenfield who? Not sure I understand that comment as they completely play 2 different positions. Not sure why you would bag on a 18 year old girl either. I'm sure Greenfield would rather open up with Rutgers who Stanford plays today instead of playing Western Illinois.

I'm sure Coach Hoiberg is saying Harrison who also right now.
    Toby...you completely missed my point which is...we don't have to worry just because a great talent chose to go elsewhere. Coach Fennelly has the knack of recruiting and getting the players that keep ISU right where its at - a top 20 team. I was greatly impressed with Hallie in the last two games. She is incredibly athletic and brings something to this team I've not seen in some time. She has a long reach, is fast, and obviously is picking up what Bill wants her to know.

In summary...we may not have gotten Greenfield who obviously would have been a great addition, but we shouldn't lose any sleep over it when we get players like Hallie coming in and producing right away. It wasn't a dis at Greenfield but rather a "feel good" for the ISU faithful.

I also agree with other posters. There were some great plays last night. I love watching how Slash plays the game. Aggressive and 100% all the time. LM is another one that I really like so far. She is just solid when it comes to handling the ball and distributing.

Recruit
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 191
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Great too see the Girls back in action!!!