Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Automatic dialers

So I'm sure this or something quite similar has been discussed 20x in the past, but I haven't had a good rant in a while

I hate automatic dialers. I mean telemarketing is one thing, but automatic dialers? Who wants to answer a telemarketing call to hear this:

"Hello. An attendant will be with you shortly... <elevator music>..."

Of course you have no idea what that person is going to want to say to you after you wait for their service to connect you... (By the way, this was prompted from listening to this play itself out on my answering machine...)

Now telemarketing is one thing. But automated dialing is just low. If you want to sell me something, a phone call isn't the best way to began with, so you'd better be grabbing my attention quick. Telling me to wait on the line until you find someone to talk to me certainly isn't a good way to go about that, ESPECIALLY if you pay for incoming calls (I don't, but you get my point). That’s just wasting both my time and money...

Automated dialers are a bad idea, they lack courtesy, tact, a complete lack of demonstration of good salesmanship, not to mention it's just poor style...

/end rant

Side note, I was probably more amused by listening to this on my answering machine than ******, but again, not much going on and it was as good as anything to rant about

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Re: Automatic dialers

Quote Originally Posted by Flag Guy View Post
    So I'm sure this or something quite similar has been discussed 20x in the past, but I haven't had a good rant in a while

I hate automatic dialers. I mean telemarketing is one thing, but automatic dialers? Who wants to answer a telemarketing call to hear this:

"Hello. An attendant will be with you shortly... <elevator music>..."

Of course you have no idea what that person is going to want to say to you after you wait for their service to connect you... (By the way, this was prompted from listening to this play itself out on my answering machine...)

Now telemarketing is one thing. But automated dialing is just low. If you want to sell me something, a phone call isn't the best way to began with, so you'd better be grabbing my attention quick. Telling me to wait on the line until you find someone to talk to me certainly isn't a good way to go about that, ESPECIALLY if you pay for incoming calls (I don't, but you get my point). That’s just wasting both my time and money...

Automated dialers are a bad idea, they lack courtesy, tact, a complete lack of demonstration of good salesmanship, not to mention it's just poor style...

/end rant

Side note, I was probably more amused by listening to this on my answering machine than ******, but again, not much going on and it was as good as anything to rant about
    Cheaper than human beings = good for bottom line. Not saying it's necessarily good business, and they irritate me too.

'tiny little text etched into her neck it said "jesus lived and died for all your sins." she's got blue black ink and it's scratched into her lower back. it said: "damn right i'll rise again." yeah, damn right you'll rise again.'

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

I hate all forms of telemarketing. Every one of them. I don't care if they are just trying to make a living. They suck. It's their fault they decided to go into the irritate the crap out of everyone profession. It is one case where I don't mind lying and I don't mind being rude. New windows? Just put some in last week. Credit protection on my credit card? Nope, I'm a roll the dice kind of guy.

Starter
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Just hang up.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 245

Quote Originally Posted by mharder View Post
    Just hang up.
    Hanging up is no fun. I would rather waste some of their time in the process.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I enjoy listening to them say "Hello? Hello?" to an answering machine myself...

Though telemarketing is part of why I don't have a land line in Ames...
    (that and paying 2 phone bills is a bit expensive for a college student...)

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 113

I let them start up and then I just hang up in the middle saying I have a meeting going on...

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Legend
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 106

Not all of them are evil, it's how the companies choose to use them.

The company I work for (you've heard of us) uses one to call back customers that asked to be called back. The dialer then looks at your zip code and based on time zone will give you a call. We use it more for organizing these calls and we never make the customer wait. If no one answers then the CSR leaves a message and the dialer will try to call again the next day. There is an example of doing it the right way.

Here is an example of the bad way.

The predictive dialers look at a bunch of algorithms and starts dialing multiple numbers. Let's say that you have 100 CSR's in your call center. It will dial 120 calls knowing that they will get a busy/no-answer on most of them and it also looks at things like average talk time so it assumes that by the time the number is connected the CSR will be off the phone with the other customer. If the logic is done correctly it can be very efficient but at the expense of the customer. When it's dialed too many numbers and their are no agents available to take calls, that is when it asks you to wait.

I have no problem with companies using these for debt collection because you asked for it but if you're using it for sales that's another story.

Also, if you don't like getting these calls then put yourself on the no call list.

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One Word... "CLICK"

If I answer the phone and there is a pause, automatic hang-up!!

Edit: Classic Humor from Seinfeld

On an episode of the sitcom Seinfeld, Jerry gets a call from the New York Times, offering him a subscription. He enthusiastically responds that he is interested, then hangs up.

Last edited by psycln11; 07-20-2007 at 09:49 AM.
    Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

Hate them too, bigtime. Also, if an election is coming up and some politician calls me only to give me some cheesy fricking recorded message, he just guaranteed himself that I will NOT vote for him.

I did have fun with one of those telemarketers. He called and asked for me and I let him talk for a little bit and then I interupted him right in the middle of his spiel and aske him in a very frazzled voice if he knew how to clean up blood off the walls......Immediate silence and I laughed my butt off for two hours.

My wife however thought for sure cops would be arriving at our doorstep arresting me for murder or harrasment..

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah I love caller ID but it's always fun to see who called during the day now too or not bother answering. But some of these places keep leaving messages to call back nearly every day so eventually I cave in just to make it stop. Usually they are looking for the deadbeat that had the number before me and just when I think I have stopped those calls someone else starts calling looking for them. I've had this number for 5 years now and I still get collection companies and law offices calling from time to time. I have a feeling this person probably has some financial issues based on some of the calls I have received and 1 place got really pissy with me when I told them I had no clue who this person was and if I knew their new number I'd glady give it out so people like them would stop calling. I explained to this idiot that the phone company re-assigns numbers out that are not in use and the number does not stay with the same residence all the time. Wow man, get with the program!

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 20

Don't just hang up! I hate to admit it, but for two weeks I did this for a credit card company (worst job of my life, I hated bothering people like that and it was a good card). Anyway, if you just hang up, your number goes back into the system and you might keep getting calls. Companies can also sell your information to another telemarketer. So as soon as you get a human on the line, simply say "take my name off of your list." They are supposed to immediatly terminate the call (with an obligatory "thank you" or "sorry") and then remove your name from the call list and not sell it to anyone else. Not everyone follows these rules, but it's the fastest way to cut down on the volume of calls you are getting.

On a side note, we were not allowed to hang up on a customer, even if they were being abusive on the phone (we'd have to call over a manager, who would listen to what was being said and then they could give us permission to hang up). Anyway, one day I called this woman who didn't want to listen to my pitch, but instead of hanging up, this is what happened...

"Hey, you're paying for this call aren't you?"
    "Yes maam, we are."
    "And as long as you're on the phone with me you can't bother anyone else."
    "I suppose that's true..."
    "Here, talk to my three year old."

And I proceeded to have a ten minute conversation with her little girl. I mean, hey, I couldn't hang up right? Most fun I ever had at that job!

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Pro
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 259
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    Hate them too, bigtime. Also, if an election is coming up and some politician calls me only to give me some cheesy fricking recorded message, he just guaranteed himself that I will NOT vote for him.
    So you're not voting in the Presidential Election in '08??? Because they ALL use these things!!

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by psycln11 View Post
    On an episode of the sitcom Seinfeld, Jerry gets a call from the New York Times, offering him a subscription. He enthusiastically responds that he is interested, then hangs up.
    here's another good one:

Seinfeld: This isn't a good time.

Telemarketer: When would be a good time to call back, sir?

Seinfeld: I have an idea, why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you back later?

Telemarketer: Umm, we're not allowed to do that.

Seinfeld: Oh, I guess because you don't want strangers calling you at home.

Telemarketer: Umm, no.

Seinfeld: Well, now you know how I feel.

[hangs up phone]

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

One way to avoid the political calls is register independent. You'll still get some but you won't have the party you belong to calling for money or polling you.