Funny Eustachy Stories (non-Natty Light version)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 2

Funny Eustachy Stories (non-Natty Light version)

Here's an article from the Hattiesburg American about some of the printable LE stories:

Larry

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Re: Funny Eustachy Stories (non-Natty Light version)

I remember reading something in the Rag when his team played Iowa a couple years ago. Gary Thompson and Larry's ex-wife were sitting in the row behind his bench and Larry's team was not playing well, they gave up an offensive rebound or too that he was not happy with and he turned around and told them something like "can you believe this, one of my teams, yes MY team can't rebound worth a darn!" For those with bad memory Larry preaches rebounding and defense and had little tolerance for bad play in those areas and it showed because Larry's ISU teams always rebounded the ball very well. They had a couple other funny quotes from that game too, I always loved Larry's dry sense of humor.

Best ISU quote though was the one against Colorado when he said Homan got off the bench like someone was trying to steal his prize cow.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    Larry's ex-wife
    I'm not up on my LE history since he left ISU, but did he and Stacy get divorced? And was it related to any of the stuff that went on while he was here. Sorry if this has been discussed in the past, I just don't know/remember!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Yeah, they are divorced. Last I heard she still lived in Ames with the two boys and he was back in town visiting them as often as he could.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

the part of LE asking the ref to kick his own player out if he acts up again is almost Norm Dale-esque.... (gene hackman in hoosiers for those sports fans who've been in a coma since 1987)...

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Pro
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 403
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    the part of LE asking the ref to kick his own player out if he acts up again is almost Norm Dale-esque.... (gene hackman in hoosiers for those sports fans who've been in a coma since 1987)...
    that was a great quote...

Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Not all Eustachy stories are printable

With all the hubbub about Larry on the boards recently, I thought you would enjoy this. Headline is missleading, really is a good read.

Hattiesburg American - www.hattiesburgamerican.com - Hattiesburg, Miss.

Not all Eustachy stories are printable
    By KAREEM COPELAND

There's no shortage of possibilities when those close to Larry Eustachy are asked for their favorite story about the Southern Miss basketball coach.
    However, there is if those tales need to be published.USM associate head coach Steve Barnes has known Eustachy since high school in Arcadia, Calif. He laughed when asked to play storyteller.

"It's probably No. 53 on the list," Barnes said with a smile. "The first 52 are not printable."
    Barnes recalled one of the brief stints that the two were not coaching together. He was the head coach of San Jose State and had brought his team to Ames, Iowa to face Eustachy's Iowa State squad.
    Coincidentally, it was Eustachy's birthday - Dec. 1.
    "I'll always remember this because he didn't have to do it and it shows how great a friend he is," Barnes said. "They had one of top winning streaks going, 30-something games in a row.
    "We broke that streak."
    San Jose State was up late in a close game when a ball bounced out of bounds.
    "Clearly off an Iowa State guy," Barnes said. "Sure enough, we're on the road, Big 12 official, you've got to be up 10 to even have a chance at winning a game."
    Putting it mildly, Barnes was not pleased.
    "I'm on the baseline going nuts, because it's obvious," he said. "I turn around knowing I'm probably going too far and Larry is literally at the end of my bench. He had walked all the way down and he's standing there.
    "I turned around and (did a double-take). And he goes, 'Will you calm down? You're going to screw this thing up.' You're going to get a technical and lose this game."
    Not exactly the advice you'd expect from an opposing coach. Eustachy had wandered all the way past the scoring table, right in front of Barnes' seat.
    "Because of working with him and knowing him, I just went completely, 'Hmm, yeah,'" Barnes explained. "I didn't argue with him. Yeah, you're right. Now, if it was some other guy...
    "He was just so good about that. Talk about not having to do that."
    Southern Miss baseball coach Corky Palmer didn't take long to come up with one. Surprise, surprise, it involved Eustachy's demure sense of style.
    "I used to ride him all the time," Palmer said. "He's wearing a pair of Adidas tennis shoes that are 100-years old and they've got a contract with Adidas. I told him, 'I think they'll send you a pair.'
    "I rode him for about a year and I went over there one day and he had some new white ones."
    Sophomore forward Sai'Quon Stone echoed those sentiments.
    "He wears his 5-year old shoes and they have holes in them," he said. "That's what stands out to me.
    "He's the head coach, he should be able to get a new pair of shoes."
    Then there's the angry Eustachy stories - which are not that unusual during the game.
    Two of the most talked about instances amongst the South Mississippi media took place on the road.
    During a 75-72 loss at Tulane on Feb. 9 2006, Eustachy called two time-outs to voice his frustrations with forward David Cornwell - who was having words with a Tulane players and the officials. With the second break in play, Eustachy made a bee-line to one of the officials and told him, "If he says another word to you, kick him out of the game."
    The slightly stunned, very amused referee walked over to the press table and said, "He just asked me to kick his own player out the game. Never had that happen before."
    Then there was the 77-64 loss at Alabama on Dec. 16, 2006. At least two local papers and a national columnist had written about the Golden Eagles' 7-0 start against Belhaven, Tennessee-Martin, Alabama State, Spring Hill, Sam Houston State, Savannah State and Southern-New Orleans - not exactly a murderer's row.
    Eustachy walked into the press conference and immediately dove into those calling the schedule weak. He explained that he and Don Haskins, who coached Texas Western College (now UTEP) to a NCAA title in 1966, had discussions about the schedule before it was put together. "If you have a problem with the schedule, blame his a-," Eustachy said to the group of confused reporters.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Speechless
    Overall activity: 72.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 613

Re: Not all Eustachy stories are printable

Larry always had a good handle on proper use of swear words. That made him Larry.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11

For all that went wrong and went bad, he's made strides in his life and I'm glad to see him doing well.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,141
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Wouldn't be one bit sad if he was still our coach...

Addict
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 67

Quote Originally Posted by travman23 View Post
    I remember reading something in the Rag when his team played Iowa a couple years ago. Gary Thompson and Larry's ex-wife were sitting in the row behind his bench and Larry's team was not playing well, they gave up an offensive rebound or too that he was not happy with and he turned around and told them something like "can you believe this, one of my teams, yes MY team can't rebound worth a darn!" For those with bad memory Larry preaches rebounding and defense and had little tolerance for bad play in those areas and it showed because Larry's ISU teams always rebounded the ball very well. They had a couple other funny quotes from that game too, I always loved Larry's dry sense of humor.

Best ISU quote though was the one against Colorado when he said Homan got off the bench like someone was trying to steal his prize cow.
    I had a buddy that was a manager for LE so I got to hear some great one-liners. I think my favorite was when they were playing Colorado, who as you know we seemed to get into it with every time we played for several years. It was getting pretty physical, and at a timeout Ricardo Patton walked over toward LE and started to tell him that we needed to clean it up. Eustachy cuts him off with, "Why don't you coach your own f-ing team!" and turned around and went back to our huddle. Simple but classic Eustachy

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

If anyone here really new the condition of the MBB program the last couple of years under LE....there is no way anyone would wish he was still our coach. McDermott is the best thing to happen to ISU bball in a long time.

Rookie
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 14

McDermott has long way to go to have Larry's coaching talent

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GM4ISU View Post
    McDermott has long way to go to have Larry's coaching talent

And Larry has a long way to go to have Greg's ability to deal with people. And I think that Greg is closer as a coach to Larry's "ability" than Larry is to Greg in the humanity department.

God, some people on here have selective memories. Do some of you even remember what it was like in Larry's last two years here. The program was in a free fall, Curtis and Will wouldn't have lasted more than one season here before they transferred. The love of 99-01 was more than gone. And I like Larry, but at least I can be realistic about the situation.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Addict
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,319
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

God, some people on here have selective memories. Do some of you even remember what it was like in Larry's last two years here. The program was in a free fall
    Stop it Darts, just stop it. Any problem related to ISU basketball is all Wayne Morgan's fault. :Smoking: