Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: UNI to Big 12?

  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 172,981, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,655
    Points
    172,981
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 14

    UNI to Big 12?

    Since I couldn't read that other thread I thought I'd post a god link with normal fonts in the correct forum.

    UNI looking into wrestling in Big 12



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 130,217, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,125
    Points
    130,217
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 152

    UNI requesting the Big XII add them as a Wrestling affiliate

    UNI looking into wrestling in Big 12

    I think it is unlikely to happen, but I'd love to see the Big XII add UNI and Air Force as affiliates for Wrestling. It would be awesome to be able to continue competing as a Big XII conference in wrestling. Very perferable to having to go to the Western regional to qualify.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 54,022, Level: 71
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    colbycheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,357
    Points
    54,022
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 39

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    I see this as both a good thing and a bad thing. In one way, keeping/getting the Big 12 to 6 wrestling teams is a must to keep our conference's auto-qualifiers. On the down side, that puts three top level teams in one state that may dilute the Iowa recruiting pool even more. I think adding Boise State and Air Force as affiliate wrestling teams would be a good first start towards 6 teams without diluting the area recruits (and also might be good first steps towards getting them into the Big 12 for all sports).



  4. #4
    Recruit
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    110
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    I've actually been hearing that because of state spending in Iowa that UNI might have to be forced down to D-2 in most sports because they will have to start cutting sports. I've heard even as soon as 2 years. And this info is coming from some UNI coaches.



  5. #5
    All-Star
    Points: 36,419, Level: 58
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 231
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    clonomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,989
    Points
    36,419
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UNI requesting the Big XII add them as a Wrestling affiliate

    I LOVE THE IDEA

    If someday UNI football decide to get into BIG XII, we would get 1 extra win every year. GOOD IDEA!


    WE ARE IOWA STATE

  6. #6
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UNI requesting the Big XII add them as a Wrestling affiliate

    Quote Originally Posted by clonomaniac View Post
    I LOVE THE IDEA

    If someday UNI football decide to get into BIG XII, we would get 1 extra win every year. GOOD IDEA!
    mmmhmmm



  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 91,572, Level: 94
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,578
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,392
    Points
    91,572
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

    Re: UNI requesting the Big XII add them as a Wrestling affiliate

    mmmmhmmmm




  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 172,981, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Marshalltown
    Posts
    9,655
    Points
    172,981
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 14

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Mods, please merge this with the other thread on this topic.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 31,554, Level: 54
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    06Panther's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,745
    Points
    31,554
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonejk View Post
    I've actually been hearing that because of state spending in Iowa that UNI might have to be forced down to D-2 in most sports because they will have to start cutting sports. I've heard even as soon as 2 years. And this info is coming from some UNI coaches.
    lol



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 9,279, Level: 28
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 71
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    779
    Points
    9,279
    Level
    28
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 5

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Quote Originally Posted by colbycheese View Post
    (and also might be good first steps towards getting them into the Big 12 for all sports).
    If UNI joins the Big 12, the Big 12 gains practically zero revenue or marketability and divides revenues with an additional school. It's a good idea for wrestling, but not for all sports.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 203,960, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    9,955
    Points
    203,960
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 111

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydwinder View Post
    If UNI joins the Big 12, the Big 12 gains practically zero revenue or marketability and divides revenues with an additional school. It's a good idea for wrestling, but not for all sports.
    Good thing he was talking about Boise and Air Force then. (although that same argument probably still applies.)



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 130,217, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Judoka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Timbuktu
    Posts
    10,125
    Points
    130,217
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 152

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonejk View Post
    I've actually been hearing that because of state spending in Iowa that UNI might have to be forced down to D-2 in most sports because they will have to start cutting sports. I've heard even as soon as 2 years. And this info is coming from some UNI coaches.
    That would really suck. To bad we can't include the money Cyclone and Panther fans give Iowa through the Big 10 network being on basic cable as part of their "subsidy from the taxpayers"



  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 18,107, Level: 41
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    LutherClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirksville, MO
    Posts
    1,161
    Points
    18,107
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonejk View Post
    I've actually been hearing that because of state spending in Iowa that UNI might have to be forced down to D-2 in most sports because they will have to start cutting sports. I've heard even as soon as 2 years. And this info is coming from some UNI coaches.

    Thanks for the restart, I don't know what was up with the computer I was on. Anyways, this was big news in Waterloo/Cedar Falls a few months back. However, I believe the state hired an analyst to look at what different moves would do to UNI's bottom line. They found that moving UNI to DII would cause them to hemmorage money because of lost contracts for advertising, radio, etc and a loss of $$ in fan attendance. If UNI would move to I-AA non scholarship, the same thing would happen. They also looked at moving UNI to I-A which would make them lose more money too.

    Basically, they said the best thing for UNI's bottom line would be to stay I-AA and play another I-A team. While that sucks for the Panthers because it likely puts them in a two loss hole right off the bat, it brings in more revenue for the AD and keeps them a float.

    On a side note, could you imagine the UNI-Dome and the McCleod Center as Div II arenas?


    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State all the way.
    Let's go! To show them what the gang's all here for,
    Go! To show them how the Cyclones cheer.
    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State do it right!
    It's time to climb up on the vict'ry wagon,
    Fight! Iowa State, Fight! Fight!

  14. #14
    Recruit
    Points: 6,751, Level: 24
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 299
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Posts
    116
    Points
    6,751
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    Thanks for the restart, I don't know what was up with the computer I was on. Anyways, this was big news in Waterloo/Cedar Falls a few months back. However, I believe the state hired an analyst to look at what different moves would do to UNI's bottom line. They found that moving UNI to DII would cause them to hemmorage money because of lost contracts for advertising, radio, etc and a loss of $$ in fan attendance. If UNI would move to I-AA non scholarship, the same thing would happen. They also looked at moving UNI to I-A which would make them lose more money too.

    Basically, they said the best thing for UNI's bottom line would be to stay I-AA and play another I-A team. While that sucks for the Panthers because it likely puts them in a two loss hole right off the bat, it brings in more revenue for the AD and keeps them a float.

    On a side note, could you imagine the UNI-Dome and the McCleod Center as Div II arenas?
    I believe UNI was able to show that their athletic department would be self supportive, which is what the board of regents asked. To get there the football team will be scheduling two games a year with FBS schools to get the bigger payout.



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 18,107, Level: 41
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    LutherClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kirksville, MO
    Posts
    1,161
    Points
    18,107
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: UNI to Big 12?

    Quote Originally Posted by CF_Cyclone View Post
    I believe UNI was able to show that their athletic department would be self supportive, which is what the board of regents asked. To get there the football team will be scheduling two games a year with FBS schools to get the bigger payout.
    I'm pretty sure they found that they wouldn't be self supportive, but they did find that they would lower the amount of money taken from the general fund substantially. Here's a Sept. 16th article from the Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier on the subject:

    Regents approve modest cut to UNI athletics


    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State all the way.
    Let's go! To show them what the gang's all here for,
    Go! To show them how the Cyclones cheer.
    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State do it right!
    It's time to climb up on the vict'ry wagon,
    Fight! Iowa State, Fight! Fight!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM