Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I am starting to understand the "hatred" towards NU.

In the interest of full disclosure let me first state that I am a Husker fan, always have been, always will be. This will not be an apologetic, but hopefully level-headed post.

I am starting to “get” the level of hatred (maybe that is too strong a word) for NU, especially this year. You see us as hanging you, and much of the rest of the B12N out to dry. Quite of few of the “shoe on the other foot” posts from another thread made a great deal of sense. We would feel the same way. Just know that on this side of the river, we are being told that is was TU and MU that basically started everything in motion, and that we had to act quickly in order to not be left “hanging out to dry” also. Correct or not, that is what we are being told.

The Huskers saw a great influx of “bandwagon” fans in the 90s, my brother-in-law being one of them. He went from not being able to name a few starters from teams in the mid to late 80s to being an expert. There were probably thousands more like him, and this has always bothered me. Many of these people jumped off the wagons of teams like Miami and Florida State to become “lifelong” Husker fans. I never understood that. I would like to think that these are the type of fans that are causing problems inside and outside the stadiums. Hearing the story from another thread about the ISU guy with a knee brace getting harassed, I would have loved to have been there to dish out a little “justice” to this type of “fan”. I would have had plenty of true fans to back me up on this also.

I see the “Nebraska is running away from Texas” comment brought up quite a few times in other threads, and I can’t say I disagree with this. Every fan should know we are trying to get away from the Texas “influence” they are wielding in the Big XII. No matter what you think about what has happened on the field, when I say “Texas” I am referring to the state, not just TU. I am talking about the conjoined quadruplets of TU, TAMU, TTech, and Baylor. Too much money to throw around for this not to happen eventually. And remember Texas A&M was the “football” power from the South when the Big XII was formed.

ISU played a great game last week, and I am going to be sorry to see this series and the one with Missouri end. Both of these matchups have gotten a lot more interesting over the last 10-15 years, and I am sure they would have continued to do so. As I have gotten older, I have learned to appreciate good games, no matter what the opponents are ranked. It is still fun watching CU get blown out, but I digress.

Good luck the rest of the year, and in the years to come. I like your coach and his enthusiasm. He sure seems to have the fan base interested, and in the end, isn’t that about as much as you could ask for? You gave us all we could handle and then some last week. Every “true” Husker fan knows this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,018
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 40

Re: I am starting to understand the "hatred" towards NU.

FWIW, if ISU could have joined the Big10, I would hope we would have been all over it.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by LutherBlue View Post
    FWIW, if ISU could have joined the Big10, I would hope we would have been all over it.
    This, plus 1000.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yup. Nebraska just did what everybody else wanted to do. Everyone thought the Big12 was a goner so I don't blame them for jumping ship.

Pro
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,472
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 36

"NobodyBeatsCy likes your status"

"Explode and tear this whole town apart
    Take a knife and cut this pain from my heart
    Find somebody itching for something to start"

"The Promised Land" Bruce Springsteen

All-Star
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 20
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 18

Yeah, I don't think the hatred toward NU has anything to do with leaving for the Big XII. I think it has mostly to do with too many experiences with delusional NU fans.

That being said, you seem like a good one. Good luck to NU in the Big 10, I'm looking forward to watching the Iowa-Nebraska rivalry develop.

Recruit
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Good post, but I have to tell you that I really didn't want NU in the Big 12 Championship this season. I'd really like to see the Huskers run the table in the Lil 10 next year though, so I'll wish the Big Red luck after the season ends... deal?

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 109

At the time, I thought the same. Now? Nope.

After further examination, the best thing for ISU was to be in a conference that included Texas teams. That recruiting pipeline has been instrumental in ISU having any success at all in football. Say ISU had joined the Big10. What then? How does that help is get more recruits? Not to mention way more travel costs and a lot harder to get to away football games.

I think we are in a very good position moving forward, and will not miss the uNloyal Huskers nor the sCUm Buffs.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 467
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 25

Looking back, it's easy to say that NU hung the other North teams out to dry. Really, I don't blame them all that much for bolting, being that Mizzou was flirting and Texas was talking Pac 10. Also, it is smart to run from UT...the resources that they command and their recruiting base are impossible to beat long-term. That being said, if you go further back, I DO blame NU for the start of the problems. IF NU would have actually worked with the other North schools as far as revenue sharing, they would have been a solid voting block against the Texas schools. Nebraska was indignant when the other North schools didn't back them on the issues that were important in Lincoln, yet they had NO trouble voting for unequal revenue sharing along with UT, ATM, OU. Kind of hypocritical that they bolt for an equal revenue conference in the Big 11.

As far as the end of the series, I'm torn. I've had a great time in Lincoln in the times I've been there. Being from Western Iowa, I have friends that do come up to tailgate every other year and it will be sad when that ends. BUT, in my experience the fans who have season tickets in Licoln are quite a bit different from the general traveling Husker mass. Their home crowd is respectful and knowledgeable. The riff raff cannot afford season tickets there, but they travel to Ames and Manhatten and Lawrence. I just hope that they travel to Iowa City.

I do think that with Nebraska's long away trips coming up, a lot of Western Iowa Husker fans are going to gravitate more toward ISU because they'll be able to see games easier.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 72

Quote Originally Posted by ahaselhu View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the hatred toward NU has anything to do with leaving for the Big XII. I think it has mostly to do with too many experiences with delusional NU fans.
    My hatred for NU started many years ago, with their delusional, arrogant fans, was increased over the past few years by their present whiny AD, and amplified by another order of magnitude because of their "departure" from the Big 12. NU is just as greedy and power hungry as any Big 12 South school. Gotta love their "We won't vote for equal revenue sharing and conference TV network in the Big 12, but we'll be happy to move to a conference that has those things if offered sufficient money" hypocrisy.

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 7newman7 View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure let me first state that I am a Husker fan, always have been, always will be. This will not be an apologetic, but hopefully level-headed post.

I am starting to “get” the level of hatred (maybe that is too strong a word) for NU, especially this year. You see us as hanging you, and much of the rest of the B12N out to dry. Quite of few of the “shoe on the other foot” posts from another thread made a great deal of sense. We would feel the same way. Just know that on this side of the river, we are being told that is was TU and MU that basically started everything in motion, and that we had to act quickly in order to not be left “hanging out to dry” also. Correct or not, that is what we are being told.

The Huskers saw a great influx of “bandwagon” fans in the 90s, my brother-in-law being one of them. He went from not being able to name a few starters from teams in the mid to late 80s to being an expert. There were probably thousands more like him, and this has always bothered me. Many of these people jumped off the wagons of teams like Miami and Florida State to become “lifelong” Husker fans. I never understood that. I would like to think that these are the type of fans that are causing problems inside and outside the stadiums. Hearing the story from another thread about the ISU guy with a knee brace getting harassed, I would have loved to have been there to dish out a little “justice” to this type of “fan”. I would have had plenty of true fans to back me up on this also.

I see the “Nebraska is running away from Texas” comment brought up quite a few times in other threads, and I can’t say I disagree with this. Every fan should know we are trying to get away from the Texas “influence” they are wielding in the Big XII. No matter what you think about what has happened on the field, when I say “Texas” I am referring to the state, not just TU. I am talking about the conjoined quadruplets of TU, TAMU, TTech, and Baylor. Too much money to throw around for this not to happen eventually. And remember Texas A&M was the “football” power from the South when the Big XII was formed.

ISU played a great game last week, and I am going to be sorry to see this series and the one with Missouri end. Both of these matchups have gotten a lot more interesting over the last 10-15 years, and I am sure they would have continued to do so. As I have gotten older, I have learned to appreciate good games, no matter what the opponents are ranked. It is still fun watching CU get blown out, but I digress.

Good luck the rest of the year, and in the years to come. I like your coach and his enthusiasm. He sure seems to have the fan base interested, and in the end, isn’t that about as much as you could ask for? You gave us all we could handle and then some last week. Every “true” Husker fan knows this.
    Thank you for the post and well wishes. I think you hit the nail on the head about the bandwagon fans. I've got no problem with Husker fans in general, especially those who loved the Big 8 and watched Nebraska football before the mid 90s, and therefore know it isn't always easy to get to the top.

It's the bandwagon "Restore the Order" fans that I dislike the most. They're the ones who grew up watching the Huskers destroy everything in their path in the mid 90s, and therefore think nobody deserves to be on the same field as the Huskers. Those are the fans that looked at the 2007 team that had poor coaching, four new starters on the defensive line, and a new QB that had to replace the Big 12 offensive POY, and couldn't foresee anything other than a Big 12 championship.

I understand why Nebraska is leaving the conference. I just wish it would have worked out differently. Ideally, Texas politics would not have gotten involved and forced the conference to include Texas Tech and Baylor. A conference with the Big 8 schools plus Texas and Texas A&M, like was originally planned, would have been more stable and made just as much TV money.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CysMyBoy View Post
    Good post, but I have to tell you that I really didn't want NU in the Big 12 Championship this season. I'd really like to see the Huskers run the table in the Lil 10 next year though, so I'll wish the Big Red luck after the season ends... deal?
    I completely understand, and that is a deal. Also understand why we want to win the CCG this year more than ever.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jbhtexas View Post
    My hatred for NU started many years ago, with their delusional, arrogant fans, was increased over the past few years by their present whiny AD, and amplified by another order of magnitude because of their "departure" from the Big 12. NU is just as greedy and power hungry as any Big 12 South school. Gotta love their "We won't vote for equal revenue sharing and conference TV network in the Big 12, but we'll be happy to move to a conference that has those things if offered sufficient money" hypocrisy.
    I will not argue this point. Kind of a "pot and kettle" type of thing.

Addict
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 947
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 13

every fan base has its doosh bags. ie: drunk students

but i think ISU fans hate Iowa/Nebraska fans because we have to hear about how great they are year in and year out. And its only football that matters. See: Nebby football fans turn into KU bball fans. And Hok fans who just ***** about everything...

I didn't have any problem with husker fans on saturday. the only thing i didn't like was how many of you f***ers bought tickets. (back handed compliment). And if one more person would have yelled gooooo biiiiiiiig reddddddd i would have jacked him

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,061
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 14

everyone or thing is hated by someone or ones... every team has people that love and hate them. i like how its assumed there is this shared hatred for teams.. they are a rival, well not anymore, but thats all. there fan base is no better or worse then anyone elses... as far as to what type of people they have cheering for them.