Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

I want Shontrelle.....

I mean seriously - has to be one of the most explosive if not the most explosive guy we have on the offensive side of the ball and all he does is hold his helmet.....

And i'm not even talking about taking arob out unless he needs a breather....

If i have a criticism of Herman right now, it would be that one of the biggest playmakers our offense has sits on the sidelines.....thats stupid in my mind.

There are so many options for this offense with two great backs - i would love to see some creativity.....put the defense on its heels a bit instead of knowing the dive/option is coming.

I mean i'm no offensive coordinator but, watching the game and seeing the substitutions that Nebraska was making based on our package would tell me that other teams are doing the same thing. So, bring in 2 wr, te and line up 2 Rb behind arnaud. Now from here, you can do a lot of things, motion one back out of the backfield crossing the field to cause confusion and separation. With our offense being at the line so quick, we could even allow for both backs to motion outside. Thus taking us from a traditional 2 wr set to 4 wr - somewhere theres going to be a rb on a lb. Now the key is to one create the mismatch, the second is to take advantage of it.

SO many plays could be created out of this set taking advantage of the defensive package established. If they want to bring in a 3 lb package, then throw. If they want to bring in 5 db package then run. It puts our offense in a real read-react type of offense rather then a run it regardless play.

Don't get me wrong - not bashing, loved the game saturday, thought the offense got stagnant for a while but, we really executed and to me - thats improvement, especially against a very good defense.

Anyhow, would love to see 25 get more touches - don't have the answers on how to do it, but, the guy has the ability to take it to the house on every touch. How many of our wr would you lay that claim on....just sayin....

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 146
    Given: 325

Re: I want Shontrelle.....

I like where you are going with this, but I am not sure if ShJ would be able to run the WR routes well enough yet to line up in the slot. He still has a lot of offense to absorb before he knows enough to get more plays his way.
    I like what he has shown so far in the backfield, but I think they stuck with A-Rob because he is just that much better and didn't need a breather at the end.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 190
    Given: 142

We needed A-Rob in there. Shontrelle is a great back but we needed someone who could also excel at picking up blocks and be a factor in the passing game. If Shontrelle can pick those up I'm sure he'll be our primary back next year (though I'm sure Woody will also carry a bigger load as well).

Pro
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 673
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 37

I agree with you. The Offense could be more creative. However, I do think execution of the offense is the key right now. When executed correctly we are effective, but we are very inconsistent. Which, IMO, makes the Staff rely on Seniors heavily against better defenses. Arob hits the right holes, and that is huge. We saw what happened when Woody made the wrong read and lost the ball leading to a NU touchdown. Against KU's defense there is a larger margin of error. The NU defense is very good, hence not taking chances.

So in theory you are dead on, but probably next year and the following years we will have 2 backs that they trust to make correct reads on gameday against good defenses. Look for SJ to get some carries against CU, and based on that performance a few or more against MU. I think with the proper mindset we win both of those games.

"I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice."

-Humpty

Addict
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 264
    Given: 115

1. We haven't needed to have this conversation in forever, so that is really nice.

2. I would have A-Rob in there as much as possible without fatigue/injury concerns. He blocks very well for his size and is a great receiver.

3. I would use Shotrelle as the first backup in during the 2nd and 3rd quarters versus Woody. Especially between the 20s. Woody seems to do best in the 4th quarter when the defense is a little more tired and he's a load to take down. I can see Woody in goal line situations or the 4th quarter, but other than that I see Shontrelle's play breaking ability as big enough to get him any carries that ARob is out for.

Someone last week says next year Woody's role stays the same. Shontrelle takes ARob's role, and the other guys fight for Shontrelle's role. That sounds good to me. If that third guy has some breakout games than we're in the same good position at RB we are this year.

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 9

Shontrelle will be a great back for us, but he is still making freshman mistakes. Letting that kick just sit in the end zone that he touched is a great example. Thankfully, Sims was right there to grab it and down it for him.

Rhoads needed someone in the game on Saturday that he could trust to get yards and hang on to the ball. Between the KU and NU games, there were may too many fumbles. When Woody fumbled we were at least close enough for 3, maybe even 7, points and we hand it back to Nebby.

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

No question Shontrelle should play more. Especially when AA couldn't run. Look at the stats from the game. 1st half and Robinson had 17 carries for 79 yards (4.6 average). Second 1/2 Nebraska made the adjustment knowing Arnaud couldn't run on the option read. They didn't have a DE even respect him. What happened? Robinson had 15 carries for 22 yards (1.4 average). We couldn't do anything in the 3rd quarter and really never ran the ball at all in the 2nd half. Passing we were still fine because Arnaud could do that.

Put in a package where you snap to Arob and he either gives it to Shontrelle or keeps it. You can't do that with AA when they don't respect his ability to run. It will never work

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Judoka View Post
    We needed A-Rob in there. Shontrelle is a great back but we needed someone who could also excel at picking up blocks and be a factor in the passing game. If Shontrelle can pick those up I'm sure he'll be our primary back next year (though I'm sure Woody will also carry a bigger load as well).
    This. ARob is such an important safety valve for AA. And he can stretch the field out of the backfield as a receiver. In that game, we needed ARob in there and he played great so I have no gripes.

I like the idea of getting ShonJohn in there as he is definitely a gamebreaker and I'm sure next year we will figure out a way to get him and Woody in the game plan but for this year I like our chances with our proven senior RB carrying the load.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Where is Bo, I mean.....

I want to win games and if the coaches think Shontrelle should only see limited action then so be it. I trust these coaches to make the right decision for the team.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 441
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    No question Shontrelle should play more. Especially when AA couldn't run. Look at the stats from the game. 1st half and Robinson had 17 carries for 79 yards (4.6 average). Second 1/2 Nebraska made the adjustment knowing Arnaud couldn't run on the option read. They didn't have a DE even respect him. What happened? Robinson had 15 carries for 22 yards (1.4 average). We couldn't do anything in the 3rd quarter and really never ran the ball at all in the 2nd half. Passing we were still fine because Arnaud could do that.

Put in a package where you snap to Arob and he either gives it to Shontrelle or keeps it. You can't do that with AA when they don't respect his ability to run. It will never work
    That sounds good, but defenses will just start loading the box when they see that formation. Teams can't completely load up for the run when AA is in. They still have to respect the ability to throw the ball

Just Win Baby
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneGB View Post
    That sounds good, but defenses will just start loading the box when they see that formation. Teams can't completely load up for the run when AA is in. They still have to respect the ability to throw the ball
    It worked for Nebraska. It works for tons of teams. It works in the NFL. Unless you can get great pressure up the middle it still makes the defense play assignment football

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I do too! his big play ability is huge, and I think that having him fresh and taking 2-3 carries in the 3rd and 4th quarters is only going to help. Texas Tech anyone? We also need to get Franklin and Lenz the ball more. Like the OP, I'm not bashing, I just think we could utilize our weapons more.

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd

Pro
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Woody's fumble drastically reduced CPRs rotation.

Addict
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 1

Robinson is pushing 1000 again. Good receiver out of the backfield.

Shontrelle will get his when the time is right. That time is NOT right now.

Prospect
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 487
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlooded View Post
    I wanted Arnaud out after his pick 6 and i wanted Robinson out after he put the ball on the ground.
    I don't remember Robinson losing a fumble. You're an idiot....IMO