Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 103

Twister Sister Summary - The exhibition season is over

So what can we take from the exhibition season? Was there anything new we saw that changed pre-season perceptions? I'll post a couple and see what everyone else has to add...

1. Post game. I'm thankful Prins is so darn tall because the girl can't jump. Will a trainer please buy her a jump rope for Christmas? On the plus side she looks more physical and my two main wish list items for her after last year were (a) be hand strong...hang on to the rebounds and (b) don't miss bunnies. Time will tell on those. Pop appears to be just as wild and crazy (i.e. plays with abandon) as she was last year. She says she has been working on her middle game (short range shots) and I'm hoping that is true. Love her aggression, but as she showed yesterday it can sometimes lead to fouls. Is she the wbb version of Osemele? Surprise of the pre-season...sort of. Hallie emerged much stronger and athletic than I expected. She has a level of grace the others don't have. She may not be as big physically, but this girl has game.

2. Forwards. Bolte showed that she still has the tendency to be able to disappear form a ball game. If there is anything I want from her it is consistency or a strong measure of it. The lack thereof has been her MO her whole career. Needs to change. I was tempted to put Hallie here as she definitely appears to have the tools to play both positions and she is listed as a forward. I'll wait and see how her outside game develops. Had a very nice game yesterday Where do you put the Slash? She is a quasi slashing guard and big and strong enough to play forward. Kind of like that woman's deoderant commercial you see all the time. Slash is like Pop in that she has a motor that just goes and goes. She has the mental makeup to be a real threat to any opponent as she refines her shooting skills. If she had a good 3 point shot she could be very dangerous.

3. Guards - Big sigh of relief so far. It obviously is early, but this is an early report. The heir apparent to Aus has been found...in Australia. Mansfield has looked sharp in two exhibitions, handles the ball well, dishes it even better, and can score. I like what I'm seeing there. I was expecting Cole to improve a lot this year and so far I've not seen it, but there is time. Harris is another that I just don't know about yet. Killer shooter in game 1 and disappeared yesterday. Again...a frosh who needs to be consistently a threat outside. Her rep precedes her and I think she will be the outside threat we've always had on our ball clubs.

We get into it very quickly with Western Illinois and then a very real test at home against Drake next Monday. Just like last year, I expect this very young team to be tested early as we have some very tough non-conference games. Hopefully they will grow like last year's team did. We just need to remember that last year we had Aus as the cornerstone. Will Bolte be able to do enough to give the young guards a chance to grow into their roles? Will the post players step it up another notch and be double digit scorers every game? The fun begins.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Re: Twister Sister Summary - The exhibition season is over

Hallie is very good.

Pop still has no shot.

Lauren seems good with the ball. I'm happy; PG had me most worried.

Bolte is a great role player. She does a good job of putting the freshmen in the right place on the floor. She isn't a senior team leader though; at least not a vocal or emotional leader.

Walk On
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Jess giving us glimpes of what she will be next year.
    A slashing, scoring hybrid!

Making a difference everyday!

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am not ready to buy into your analysis of Prins at this point. After missing her second preseason because of illness, I suspect like last year it will take several weeks for the real Anna to show up. This year should be sooner than last, however, b/c of both experience and her illness resolving itself much earlier.

What I saw in the two exhibition games was Coach F. playing her into shape.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I think on Amanda, we are seeing the beginning of her emergence and a glimpse of the player we dreamed of when she committed early in her Huxley days.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 93

We had some tough losses early last season also and we all know how that season ended. It was good that they struggled in the 1st half against Wartburg, should be a wake up call for the newbies and I trust Coach Fen will not let them forget what it takes to consistently win at this level.

Go Cyclones!!

Starter
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I think on Amanda, we are seeing the beginning of her emergence and a glimpse of the player we dreamed of when she committed early in her Huxley days.
    I suspect--and hope--you are right; she has played hard in both games this year; she is hitting that inside, quick layup-hook that appears unstoppable, and she is rebounding with power and force. She was called for a couple of fouls against Wartburg that I thought were questionable and would not be called in the Big 12.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 574
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 103

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    I am not ready to buy into your analysis of Prins at this point. After missing her second preseason because of illness, I suspect like last year it will take several weeks for the real Anna to show up. This year should be sooner than last, however, b/c of both experience and her illness resolving itself much earlier.

What I saw in the two exhibition games was Coach F. playing her into shape.
    Please note that my analysis of her is based on last year and what she needs to improve upon to get to the next level. We've not had any chance to really see what she can do yet. Mid December should be very telling if she stays healthy. Has to be as frustrating for her as it is for everyone else to be dealing with illness. At least this year its not mono. The plus from her illness was the emergence of Pop.