Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 786,207, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    16,037
    Points
    786,207
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 714
    Given: 187

    Iowa State Defeats Wartburg, 61-40, In Final Tune-Up

    AMES, Iowa Ė Freshman Hallie Christofferson had 15 points and 11 rebounds as Iowa State overcame a sluggish first half to defeat Wartburg, 61-40, in exhibition action Sunday afternoon at Hilton Coliseum.

    The Cyclones trailed 29-25 at halftime largely because of cold shooting. Iowa State went 1-for-12 from behind the arc and missed all five free-throw attempts in the opening stanza. Wartburg got 12 points from Samantha Harrington and 10 from Maddie Sadecky, including a 3-pointer as time expired, to go into the half with a four-point lead.

    The Cyclones stepped up defensively in the second half and went on an 18-1 run to start the second half. The Knights didnít make a field goal in the second half until Katie Zittergruen hit a jumper with 10:35 remaining in the game. Iowa State forced 13 turnovers in the second half.

    More online at Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,830, Level: 26
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 320
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    310
    Points
    7,830
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: Iowa State Defeats Wartburg, 61-40, In Final Tune-Up

    Interesting game. A tale of two halves. Obviously playing like that in the first half against Baylor we'd be down 50-18 before blinking. But anyway, not sure if you all listened to Coach Fen's postgame interview but he said "thank goodness Hallie Christofferson decided to come to Iowa State." And further elaborated that she is the best of our 4 post players right now and will be starting at the 4-slot (presumably with Chelsea Poppens at the 5 since Coach said in order to win we "need to have Poppens in the game"). He made reference to Prins fumbling several passes into her in the post and contrasted with Hallie being our "best offensive rebounder" and hitting 2-2 three's. Overall not a bad thing to have a freshman recruit outplaying your sophomore stars but obviously hoping we can have the sophs at full speed soon too. I'm imagining a 'best case scenario' game where all four of the young posts are hitting on all cylinders, rebounding, running the floor in transition, and the two Kelseys are nailing threes from outside, and I think we could probably take down almost any team in the country. On nights like tonight, however, you see what happens when most players are misfiring or not energized, and it's scary. To quote Coach R in football, he said something recently like "you forget sometimes these are 18 year old kids, and it can't always be explained."



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 67,154, Level: 80
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 896
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,916
    Points
    67,154
    Level
    80
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State Defeats Wartburg, 61-40, In Final Tune-Up

    It also showed the difference between poor shooting + poor effort and poor shooting + good effort. Despite never regaining any shooting touch, the second half was 100x better because the team played with more energy, leading to fewer open shots for Wartburg and more transition baskets.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 20,377, Level: 43
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 373
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,863
    Points
    20,377
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 6

    Re: Iowa State Defeats Wartburg, 61-40, In Final Tune-Up

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCy View Post
    But anyway, not sure if you all listened to Coach Fen's postgame interview but he said "thank goodness Hallie Christofferson decided to come to Iowa State." And further elaborated that she is the best of our 4 post players right now and will be starting at the 4-slot (presumably with Chelsea Poppens at the 5 since Coach said in order to win we "need to have Poppens in the game"). He made reference to Prins fumbling several passes into her in the post and contrasted with Hallie being our "best offensive rebounder" and hitting 2-2 three's. Overall not a bad thing to have a freshman recruit outplaying your sophomore stars but obviously hoping we can have the sophs at full speed soon too.
    He also said he has ten players that can play, but that it would come down to less than that getting regular playing time. If it is like most BF teams, it will be a rotation of eight with maybe the other two filling some spot roles. Unless he wants a four-player rotation at the two spots inside, either Prins or Z is going to see limited time. With Bolte, Mansfield (l'il Aus?), and Chaz locks for the guard rotation, Harris, Schroll, and Dick will be battling for one or two spots of regular PT. My guess is that Prins and Darcie will see the limited action. Prins will likely be able to build time if she rounds back into shape and stays healthy. The beauty of this is that the three Iowa girls who were on scholarship at the start of the summer look to be in the starting lineup.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 113,675, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    7,820
    Points
    113,675
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 94

    Re: Iowa State Defeats Wartburg, 61-40, In Final Tune-Up

    I think, for a program of ISU's stature, it's kind of alarming that first-year players like Hallie Christofferson, Kelsie Harris, and Mansfield are being depended upon to play such critical roles, including starting, as well as scoring.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 29,644, Level: 52
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,320
    Points
    29,644
    Level
    52
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

    Re: Iowa State Defeats Wartburg, 61-40, In Final Tune-Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I think, for a program of ISU's stature, it's kind of alarming that first-year players like Hallie Christofferson, Kelsie Harris, and Mansfield are being depended upon to play such critical roles, including starting, as well as scoring.
    Well, when you have recruits that don't pan out like Arlen, Yackley, and W.Williams you got to plug those holes. And it's safe to say at this point that Hallie, Harris, and Mansfield are significantly better than the three that departed. BF and the staff deserve credit for the immediate talent upgrade.

    I thought this team was in danger of not making the NCAAs. It's early, but those 3 newcomers appear to be the real deal and I've changed my mind regarding the team's NCAA chances, for now at least.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 25,103, Level: 48
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 447
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,097
    Points
    25,103
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 51

    Re: Iowa State Defeats Wartburg, 61-40, In Final Tune-Up

    Quote Originally Posted by cykadelic2 View Post
    Well, when you have recruits that don't pan out like Arlen, Yackley, and W.Williams you got to plug those holes. And it's safe to say at this point that Hallie, Harris, and Mansfield are significantly better than the three that departed. BF and the staff deserve credit for the immediate talent upgrade.

    I thought this team was in danger of not making the NCAAs. It's early, but those 3 newcomers appear to be the real deal and I've changed my mind regarding the team's NCAA chances, for now at least.
    +1
    And we can see it this way: it creates a competition showing that nothing comes automatically: it doesn't matter whether you're a senior, junior or sophomores: if someone is better than you, she'll take your spot, so the only thing that guarantees starting spot is playing above the rests.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. Kansas State
  • September 6, 2014
  • 11:00 AM