Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Recruiting Thoughts

Iowa state highlights have been buzzing around the internet and on ESPN. These past few weeks have created alot of media for ISU. Any thoughts on recruiting and are any 4-5 stars starting to look our way?

All-Star
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 12

Re: Recruiting Thoughts

We're going to have to do a lot more than be competitive to get 5 stars to look our way. May get some additional chances with 4-stars from the extra attention we're getting.

Starter
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I know the OT went National on ESPN because my son in CA saw it live. They cut away from the Oregon game. Every little bit helps. Cali Jucos might take another look.

Hit it hard, every yard

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 49

Quote Originally Posted by isubballisback View Post
    Iowa state highlights have been buzzing around the internet and on ESPN. These past few weeks have created alot of media for ISU. Any thoughts on recruiting and are any 4-5 stars starting to look our way?
    be great as rivals is showing us as 12th in the big 12...

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 186
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    be great as rivals is showing us as 12th in the big 12...
    impossible Big XII only has 10 teams.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,727
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 69

Quote Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
    impossible Big XII only has 10 teams.
    That is how bad it is.

Thumbs Up

I hope so. We do a good job of improving 2-3 star recruits but it would be great to get a couple good 4 star players, sorry but it seems the ones we get aren't as good as I think they'll be ( Sedrick Johnson, Anthony Young, etc). We probably have about 6 remaining players we'll take in this class so hopefully we can get a couple 4 stars, or good 3 stars.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,662
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

I'm down here in Alabama and pretty much everything I hear from people on Sunday is Alabama/Auburn/SEC. This morning I heard some teens talking about ISU-NU, I just listened and it sounded like they liked the call and thought we would have won had the throw been better. These kids were the same age as our recruits.

***King of Diplomacy***

All-Star
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 254
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We don't need 4 or 5 star players to make us better...we need playmakers. That star rating is subjective. Colt McCoy was a 2 star with 2 offers. On the other hand, Garrett Gilbert was a 5 star and Gatorade National Player of the Year. Which one do you think Texas would rather have right now. Even as a sophomore, McCoy wasn't this bad. UT, Florida, Bama, you name any of the top tier programs and their loaded with them. Yes they have championships but they had plenty of playmakers around them. Tebow was a 5 star but we all know how loaded those Florida teams were. Brantley replaces him (4 star) but the guy making all of the plays is Trey Burton (3 star true freshman). It makes for great discussion in alumni meetings when they talk about how they have out-recruited other schools. But the bottom line is this....if the kid steps on the college campus and is all bark and no bite it doesn't matter what his star rating was in high school. Playmakers, playmakers, playmakers win championships not stars ratings. Roy Helu, Ricky Stanzi, Andy Dalton to name a few were all 3 stars. Don't get me wrong, many of the 4-5 star players are great football players (Burkhead 4 star, Ryan Mallett 5 star, Andrew Luck 4 star, Darron Thomas 4 star for example) but these guys are all playmakers at the end of the day.

Last edited by FootballinTexas; 11-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46

Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    We don't need 4 or 5 star players to make us better...we need playmakers. That star rating is subjective. Colt McCoy was a 2 star with 2 offers. On the other hand, Garrett Gilbert was a 5 star and Gatorade National Player of the Year. Which one do you think Texas would rather have right now. Even as a sophomore, McCoy wasn't this bad. UT, Florida, Bama, you name any of the top tier programs and their loaded with them. It makes for great discussion in alumni meetings when they talk about how they have out-recruited other schools. But the bottom line is this....if the kid steps on the college
    campus and is all bark and mo bite it doesn't matter what his star rating was in high school. Playmakers, playmakers, playmakers win championships not stars ratings. Roy Helu, Ricky Stanzi, Andy Dalton to name a few were all 3 stars. Don't get me wrong, many of the 4-5 star players are great football players (Burkhead 4 star, Ryan Mallett 5 star, Andrew Luck 4 star, Darron Thomas 4 star for example) but these guys are all playmakers at the end of the day.
    And Vince Young was a 5 star!

I definitely agree with you though.

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 5

it can only help. i dont know when we will start getting 4-5 four stars a class, may still take a while. But those rankings dont always pan out, i just hope our coaches keep getting guys that can help us improve more each year.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

We only had two official visitors to the game, both already committed, FWIW.

Legend
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 213
    Given: 157

Quote Originally Posted by Clonedogg View Post
    it can only help. i dont know when we will start getting 4-5 four stars a class, may still take a while. But those rankings dont always pan out, i just hope our coaches keep getting guys that can help us improve more each year.
    Honestly we need to have a similar recruiting approach to Iowa's - bring in guys that have a good frame and who fit the system and then bulk them up with a great Strength & Conditioning program. We don't need a whole bunch of 5 stars, we just need player development.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    We only had two official visitors to the game, both already committed, FWIW.
    Lame. Hopefully we had a lot of unofficial visits, especially some younger in state prospects.

All-Star
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 476
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by FootballinTexas View Post
    We don't need 4 or 5 star players to make us better...we need playmakers. That star rating is subjective. Colt McCoy was a 2 star with 2 offers. On the other hand, Garrett Gilbert was a 5 star and Gatorade National Player of the Year. Which one do you think Texas would rather have right now. Even as a sophomore, McCoy wasn't this bad. UT, Florida, Bama, you name any of the top tier programs and their loaded with them. Yes they have championships but they had plenty of playmakers around them. Tebow was a 5 star but we all know how loaded those Florida teams were. Brantley replaces him (4 star) but the guy making all of the plays is Trey Burton (3 star true freshman). It makes for great discussion in alumni meetings when they talk about how they have out-recruited other schools. But the bottom line is this....if the kid steps on the college campus and is all bark and no bite it doesn't matter what his star rating was in high school. Playmakers, playmakers, playmakers win championships not stars ratings. Roy Helu, Ricky Stanzi, Andy Dalton to name a few were all 3 stars. Don't get me wrong, many of the 4-5 star players are great football players (Burkhead 4 star, Ryan Mallett 5 star, Andrew Luck 4 star, Darron Thomas 4 star for example) but these guys are all playmakers at the end of the day.

I hate this argument. Of course the star system isn't perfect. It's the same reason why there are 1st round draft busts in the NFL. But take a look at some old NFL drafts in the past on Wikipedia, they highlight the names of players who went to the Pro Bowl. Most of the Pro Bowlers are in the first couple rounds. It's probability; if you recruit a bunch of 4 and 5 star kids, you're going to have more playmakers. No kid gets a 5 star ranking by NOT being a playmaker in highschool......