Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Just watched the fake PAT again...

Notice Eric Hagg, the Nebraska player who intercepted the pass. He was lined up off the line of scrimmage in the middle. His job was to sniff out a fake. Well, he executed to perfection. Literally, the split second Kuehl started to get up, he hauled --S to his right and made the play.

Also, it looked like Kuehl noticed this and, instead of taking a second to rare back and throw it harder, he had no other choice but to get rid of it as fast as he could, resulting in what looked like a shotput toss.

I think it was the right call, but I also think Nebraska knew it was coming.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 8

Re: Just watched the fake PAT again...

The bottom line is Franklin was wide open. If we make a good pass, we win. That's it. Kuehl crapped his pants when he saw Franklin. He tried to get rid of it as quickly as possible instead of setting up and making an accurate throw.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    The bottom line is Franklin was wide open. If we make a good pass, we win. That's it. Kuehl crapped his pants when he saw Franklin. He tried to get rid of it as quickly as possible instead of setting up and making an accurate throw.
    Unfortunately the real bottom line is although Franklin was wide open we lost. It happens......let's win the next 3.

All-Star
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by jahfg View Post
    Go back and watch it again. Kuehl had no time to set up and make a better throw. Hagg was all over it, and FAST. Not Kuehl's fault.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 308
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 20

How hard was the wind blowing at the time of the play? Did it settle down since kick off?

I wasn't at the game, but ABC announcers said the pass was "held up" by the wind.

"We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

-ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 15

The play was there. They didn't "know it was coming" it or they would have been in a standard defensive alignment to make certain that it was unsuccessful. They set up in a formation that would allow for a guy to be available IF it was a fake.

When I watched my recording of the game last night I was sick to my stomach. Franklin was wide open and Kuehl had a clear path to get the throw to him. He just rushed it and threw up a duck. I feel bad for the kid, for sure.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cytheguy View Post
    Notice Eric Hagg, the Nebraska player who intercepted the pass. He was lined up off the line of scrimmage in the middle. His job was to sniff out a fake. Well, he executed to perfection. Literally, the split second Kuehl started to get up, he hauled --S to his right and made the play.

Also, it looked like Kuehl noticed this and, instead of taking a second to rare back and throw it harder, he had no other choice but to get rid of it as fast as he could, resulting in what looked like a shotput toss.

HHaag failed. Frnaklin was wide open and a harder thrown ball gets the 2 pts. Ther eis no ifs and buts about it. That ball could have been thrown in any area but short

"Not at the table Carlos."

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

Quote Originally Posted by cytheguy View Post

Correct. Nebraska was playing "safe" to guard against a fake.

Nebraska could have also won the game by blocking an extra point too, but did not do that. They held a guy back to guard against the fake. But Hagg doesn't know which side to go to before the snap. Once he sees Kuehl stand up and run, he jumps it.

Yes, it was open, and if John Elway was throwing the ball it would have worked, but it did not catch Nebraska with their pants down. Hagg's responsibility was to guard against a fake, and he did it. Otherwise he would have attempted to block the kick.

Publisher
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 163
    Given: 57

Just been trading texts with Ben Bruns. Ben thinks that Daniel handled the snap awkwardly from the beginning of the play, obviously causing a major issue when it came time to throw the ball.

Addict
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Just been trading texts with Ben Bruns. Ben thinks that Daniel handled the snap awkwardly from the beginning of the play, obviously causing a major issue when it came time to throw the ball.
    That wouldn't surprise me. Our long snapper for FG's was bad all day long. His bad snaps threw Mahoney's timing off on all his misses.

I seriously believe that Kuehl saw Franklin so wide open that he thought to himself, "I have to just get this ball to him". He didn't want to screw it up, so he lofted and easy pass. And that's what cost him. Tough break.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    That could have contributed to the reason the "duck" was thrown. The play was right towards our seats. I had a great view of it. Collin Franklin was wide open and my first reaction was OMG we have won the game. THEN I saw the pass and my heart just sank. Kuehl lofted the ball high and short. Franklin had sooooooo much separation that he couldn't come back far enough to even make it a jump ball situation. If Kuehl put more zip and doesn't loft it high that play goes for 2 points easily. And by throwing the ball so high an fluttery, the wind probably did hold it up a bit, although it had died down alot.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 14

It looked like an easy pass from above, but the from the field level it was a tougher pass than I thought.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 620
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    Correct. Nebraska was playing "safe" to guard against a fake.

Nebraska could have also won the game by blocking an extra point too, but did not do that. They held a guy back to guard against the fake. But Hagg doesn't know which side to go to before the snap. Once he sees Kuehl stand up and run, he jumps it.

Yes, it was open, and if John Elway was throwing the ball it would have worked, but it did not catch Nebraska with their pants down. Hagg's responsibility was to guard against a fake, and he did it. Otherwise he would have attempted to block the kick.

Oh please. The throw didn't need John Elway. It was wide open and if the punter throws a decent ball, we win. I'm not trying to point the finger at Kuehl by any means. It was just frustrating to see the play was clearly open and we should have won.

I don't bring my own opinions, just attack others.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 1

I seriously believe that Kuehl saw Franklin so wide open that he thought to himself, "I have to just get this ball to him". He didn't want to screw it up, so he lofted and easy pass. And that's what cost him. Tough break.
    This was my first thought when I watched the replay. He threw it not to lose instead of throwing for the win.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 76.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 2

That wouldn't surprise me. Our long snapper for FG's was bad all day long. His bad snaps threw Mahoney's timing off on all his misses.

Agree on the snaps. Kuehl was doing a great job in getting them down. The long FG was unbelievable. Kuehl did a great job on that hold as well. And without that FG there is NO OT.