Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Re: Alabama Could Be Key to BCS Antitrust Lawsuit

Interesting.

Part of me thinks this is great b/c I think the BCS is a joke. Somebody needs to step up and get rid of it b/c the article was right, non-BCS affiliated teams will never make the NC game. If Bama wins out, they will vault ahead of TCU/Utah and Boise State to play. Now, in my opinion, if Boise State wins out, that will be 3 straight years of not losing. What else do they have to do to play but be in a BCS conference?

Now, the other part of me thinks that the US Government should never get involved with something as stupid as college football. They should be concentrating on the economy, jobs, health care, Afghanistan, etc... and not use tax payers money to look into the BCS.

So, should be interesting to see what happens with this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Interesting.

Part of me thinks this is great b/c I think the BCS is a joke. Somebody needs to step up and get rid of it b/c the article was right, non-BCS affiliated teams will never make the NC game. If Bama wins out, they will vault ahead of TCU/Utah and Boise State to play. Now, in my opinion, if Boise State wins out, that will be 3 straight years of not losing. What else do they have to do to play but be in a BCS conference?

Now, the other part of me thinks that the US Government should never get involved with something as stupid as college football. They should be concentrating on the economy, jobs, health care, Afghanistan, etc... and not use tax payers money to look into the BCS.

If you look at the amount of money that is tied up in college football, it all becomes very very relevant to the government.

Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer View Post
    If you look at the amount of money that is tied up in college football, it all becomes very very relevant to the government.
    tons of money and publicly funded universities.

"What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

"Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

"Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    tons of money and publicly funded universities.
    Yeah and they are not for profit at all. I think last summer summed up this argument.

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 97

This is kind alike a four foot tall guy suing because he's can't win in dunking contests. If Boise, TCU, etc was to play in a BCS title game, play a tougher, more credible schedule. It's as simple as that.

Paul Rhoads' players never quit.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    This is kind alike a four foot tall guy suing because he's can't win in dunking contests. If Boise, TCU, etc was to play in a BCS title game, play a tougher, more credible schedule. It's as simple as that.
    It is not as simple as that. Unless they are invited to a BCS conference they are playing as tough as they can. They are scheduling tougher teams in non-con. Don't you think that Boise St would jump at an invite in an instant? They have done everything possible to show that they belong over ANY one-loss team by the way they have played game in and game out. If they win every game and never get a shot then the system is broken.

Last edited by HoopsTournament; 11-06-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,662
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsTournament View Post
    That is a stupid argument. Unless they are invited to a BCS conference they are playing as tough as they can. They are scheduling tougher teams in non-con. Don't you think that Boise St would jump at an invite in an instant? They have done everything possible to show that they belong over ANY one-loss team by the way they have played game in and game out. If they win every game and never get a shot then the system is broken.
    Boise State can complain all they want - I do not care. They had a perfectly good opportunity to play at Nebraska and they demanded a one million dollar payout. I'm sorry, but if you are not respected you should jump at every chance you can to beat whoever calls no strings attached. Until they show that they are unafraid to schedule all their non-conference games tough, I'm not going to give them the time of day just because they whine and can occasionally beat a big team when given a month to prepare after playing the meat of their schedule in August.

By the way, their nonconference includes wyoming and toledo - you can't tell me those are challenging games.

***King of Diplomacy***

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Boise State can complain all they want - I do not care. They had a perfectly good opportunity to play at Nebraska and they demanded a one million dollar payout. I'm sorry, but if you are not respected you should jump at every chance you can to beat whoever calls no strings attached. Until they show that they are unafraid to schedule all their non-conference games tough, I'm not going to give them the time of day just because they whine and can occasionally beat a big team when given a month to prepare after playing the meat of their schedule in August.

By the way, their nonconference includes wyoming and toledo - you can't tell me those are challenging games.
    Their schedule has been as tough as Nebraska's and NU lost to an unranked team yet people still act like NU can get back to BCS over Boise.

The biggest problem is that you have a system where half it's members have no chance of a championship. Either you divise a system that allow them an OPPORTUNITY to compete for a title or you don't include them in that division. Any other system is flawed. It is as simple as that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Aclone View Post
    Except that four foot tall guy is the US government, angry because the big BCS schools are dancing around the law and making literal tons of money without paying taxes, while they are claiming that the game is fairly run and that any school has just as much chance as another to win the BCS title. The best thing I can compare it to is the anti-monopoly laws and insider trading.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Everyone should read "Death to the BCS". I am about half way through it and it is very eye-opening.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 272
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

My only fear here is would a successful law suit lead to conference consolidation/expansion in order to set up an eight team playoff? If it does, then that playoff will be even more unfair than the current BCS system. I would prefer a sixteen team playoff, then all the current conference champs would automatically qualify with a few at large bids as well. Use the current bowl system as locations for the playoff games with the championship in Glendale, AZ like it is currently. This playoff could be called the Bowl Championship Tournament, or BCT.

P.J. Farmer rocks!

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer View Post
    Yeah and they are not for profit at all. I think last summer summed up this argument.
    Very few athletic programs actually make a profit. People see the millions of dollars that the football programs make but don't realize the millions of dollars the other programs lose every year.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsTournament View Post
    It is not as simple as that. Unless they are invited to a BCS conference they are playing as tough as they can. They are scheduling tougher teams in non-con. Don't you think that Boise St would jump at an invite in an instant? They have done everything possible to show that they belong over ANY one-loss team by the way they have played game in and game out. If they win every game and never get a shot then the system is broken.
    Very good post! And how many BCS schools are going to add to their conference schedules teams like Boise State or TCU? Honestly...why would a school like Iowa or Wisconsin play Boise State in addition to playing their league schedule?

Walk On
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Interesting.

Unless they get in a BCS conference teams like Boise State should not be considered. In leagues like the Big 10, Big 12, SEC, etc, etc the any team any Saturday rule applies.( hence much harder to go undefeated) With a team with as weak a schedule as Boise State, it does not.. As far as Government officials getting involved in this they need to stay out till all the other national problems get solved.