Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Time for ISU to reinstate baseball program

This is an Op-Ed by a staff writer that appeared in the CR Gazette today. Brings up some interesting points...if anyone could bring it back it would be JP.

-----------------

Time for ISU to reinstate baseball program
    I
    tís been six years since Bruce Van De Velde dropped the varsity baseball program at Iowa State University, citing financial problems and Title IX constraints that made it impossible to continue. Or so he said.
    A lot has changed since 2001. Jamie Pollard replaced Van De Velde as ISUís director of athletics nearly
    two years ago, and the Cyclones seem to be in better financial shape now due to stronger fundraising efforts.
    Pollard has been busy since he arrived in Ames in September of 2005.
    Heís replaced the football, menís basketball and wrestling coaches and is leading the way for major renovations at Jack Trice Stadium and Hilton Coliseum.
    By all accounts, heís done a good job and has been well-received by Cyclone fans. And now itís time to reinstate the baseball program and give more kids in the state a
    chance to play ball.
    Pollard has said heís considering it, which is good.
    The next step will be finding the money to get it done.
    Iowa State has a good tradition in baseball, with good coaches and players. Itís not like the program was a mess when Van De Velde pulled the plug.
    The Cyclones had been competitive in the Big 12 and qualified for the league tournament in their final year in 2001, even though the league
    was ó and still is ó topheavy with some of the richest, most powerful programs in the country.
    Van De Velde mentioned travel costs, unequal revenue distribution in the Big 12, inclement weather in Ames during the baseball season and problems with Title IX when he pulled the plug. Nobody can do anything about the weather in Ames in March and April, but itís no different than Iowa City or Cedar Falls, where Iowa and UNI manage to play their games outdoors.
    Iowa State baseball fans were disappointed with Van De Veldeís decision, claiming he never gave them a legitimate
    chance to raise money and help save the program.
    Van De Velde said he had no choice, claiming he inherited the problem from Gene Smith, his predecessor at ISU whoís now the A.D. at Ohio State.
    None of that matters now.
    Iowa State has a club baseball team, but its students deserve a varsity program with scholarships that competes in the Big 12, just like all its other sports.
    The state of Iowa has two NCAA Division I baseball programs at Iowa and Northern
    Iowa, a growing D-II program at Upper Iowa, numerous D-III teams, several NAIA schools and many fine junior college programs. If youíre a talented high school player and you want to play in college, thereís probably a place for you.
    Thereís nothing like Division I, however, and the chance to play in the Big 12 against some of the top teams in the nation.
    Itís time for Iowa State to step to the plate and field a team.

by Jim Ecker

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 268
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 23

Re: Time for ISU to reinstate baseball program

keep that money in football pls

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

hmm, I for one do not support baseball right now. The dept needs every penny it can to pour into basketball and football in order to build the programs up. Then once/if that investment pays off we can discuss baseball. But until we have the stadium project complete and fundraising at a much higher level, I think it will hurt the big 2 programs to bring a money draining program into the dept.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

There is a very large Athletic Department sponsored Baseball Reunion homecoming weekend... If there is ANY announcement at all expect it then...

Speechless
    Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

If you get a good team and have a 5000 fan ballpark, it could be a revenue neutral. How much money it would take to get there, is another thing. I think it is a gap in considering how we stack up against EIU and UNI.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    If you get a good team and have a 5000 fan ballpark, it could be a revenue neutral. How much money it would take to get there, is another thing. I think it is a gap in considering how we stack up against EIU and UNI.
    a 5,000 seat stadium would cost 10's of millions of dollars. It would take a long long time to recover that money in a revenue neutral sport.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    a 5,000 seat stadium would cost 10's of millions of dollars. It would take a long long time to recover that money in a revenue neutral sport.
    I don't think it'd be quite that expensive, but I do agree that the big three sports (why does wrestling not count as a "big sport" at Iowa State of all places?) need all the funding they can get right now. We need to build up some athletic and financial momentum in those, and then we can pass it down to the other sports.

True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

All-Star
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 202
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 7

depending on which prong of the title ix compliance testing ISU uses to comply title ix could be the deal killer regardless of money. If they use the increasing opportunities for females prong to comply, I believe that any increase in male participation opportunities is typically considered not compliant with that prong.

"95% of all quotes posted on Facebook are either made up or mistakenly attributed to someone famous." - Albert Einstien

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 334
    Given: 56

I'd rather see hockey but I'm the least competent person to make these decisions.

Pro
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 927
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 65

i was watching a braves game sunday on tv and the announcers gave props to isu baseball. i guess some talent evaluator for the braves was an all american catcher at isu. he was sitting behind home plate taking notes. they didnt call him a scout, which makes since because scouts wouldnt really be at pro games. they didnt say when he palyed but said "former all-american from iowa state university"

Legend
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 34

As far as title IX goes Iowa State can add baseball and not be in jepordy as well as not have to add a women's sport... THe last thing I want to see is a rush to bring back baseball, as in bring it back next year, the year after that, or even the year after that... I do beleive a 5-7 year plan would be the best bet, get a cooach, let him start recruiting, building a staff and a plan... I know there are boosters interested in building a stadium ($7-11 million) 4500 seat across from Trice. Something seemed a little odd to me when I got the invitation in the mail, I know there are alot of baseball alumni with some deep pockets that they might want to mend fences with, what better way then unvailing a plan to bring it back...

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 227

I've come around on the ISU baseball thing. I've gone to some I-Cub games this summer and I honestly forgot how much fun baseball is - HOWEVER, I think we should complete the rest of the additions to the Jack Trice and Hilton projects before we consider bringing back baseball.

Also, I keep seeing quotes like this, but it simply isn't true. Baseball will never be revenue generating. Women's basketball even loses money and they draw almost 9000 per. It's not all about making money - but it is in football and basketball and we need to make those programs as competetive as possible facilities wise before we start thinking about bringing back baseball imo.

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56

In Pollards "Taking The Next Big Step" he mentions reinstating baseball, mens swimming and mens tennis in the future. He listed adding one sport by 2011 and 2 more by 2016 as his goal.

His projected annual costs Baseball $900,000 Swimming $600,000 Tennis $350,000

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 515
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

[quote=ornryactor;154939](why does wrestling not count as a "big sport" at Iowa State of all places?) quote]

Because when I buy basketball and football tickets, and get my free "olympic sports" pass, wrestling is included in the "free" part.

"I'm starting to think some Iowa fans heads are getting too big." -- Tigerhawk22

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Are there going to be jewels on every seat and complimentary Dom?