Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

We need a fast start

Unfortunately, ISU has scored a whopping zero points on its first series this year. Our longest first series was 12 plays against NIU that ended with a missed field goal. Other than that, nothing more than 5 plays. We have to break that pattern tomorrow in order to have a chance to win.

My game plan would be run the ball, run the ball, run the ball. Texas was able to get rushing yards from Gilbert so I would think that AA could have a good day running the ball. and if they key on him, ARob/SJ should get big yards. their secondary is just too good so they should roll AA out and tell him to throw it away, or be quicck to run if he has a chance

Last edited by tazclone; 11-05-2010 at 11:43 AM.
    "Not at the table Carlos."

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 249
    Given: 239

Re: We need a fast start

This. We also cannot allow nebraska to have a fast start. If we do, we are in trouble. We need to keep the game close the entire game.

ďI told you, I donít care if youíre black or white. I donít care if youíre rich or poor. I donít care where you come from, whether itís Texas, Florida, California, or right here in the state of Iowa, I donít care about any of thatÖ But what I did care about is moving forward from that day on, that we were one team." -Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

We cannot have a first half like we did against Kansas.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by phipsiclones View Post
    This. We also cannot allow nebraska to have a fast start. If we do, we are in trouble. We need to keep the game close the entire game.
    I have thought this was not possible all week until today. If we get Cody Green at QB, this game becomes a lot more winnable. If not, I just don't see us stopping their offense. They were able to move the ball up and down the field last year, even with Lee, but just didn't score due to turnovers. Hopefully we seen Green back there and we can force him to throw or we see some fumbles. We know they like to put the ball on the ground.

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by tazclone View Post
    Unfortunately, ISU has scored a whopping zero points on its first series this year. Our longest first series was 12 plays against NIU that ended with a missed field goal. Other than that, nothing more than 5 plays. We have to break that pattern tomorrow in order to have a chance to win.

My game plan would be run the ball, run the ball, run the ball. Texas was able to get rushing yards from Gabbert so I would think that AA could have a good day running the ball. and if they key on him, ARob/SJ should get big yards. their secondary is just too good so they should roll AA out and tell him to throw it away, or be quicck to run if he has a chance
    Im confused..?

Edit: N/m, you meant Gilbert.

Addict
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,602
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 446

I like this team's chances when it can play with a lead. A touchdown drive on its first series would be a promising start.

If that could happen, and the defense forces NU to stall early (fewer than 2 first downs or a turnover), then it could be a game.

If it starts anything like the Iowa game, it's 41-7 territory. More like the Texas game ó better odds.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 531
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Billups06 View Post
    Im confused..?

Edit: N/m, you meant Gilbert.
    Sorry...Gilbert...I meant Gilbert

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 579
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 328
    Given: 400

We're gonna need to score more points than Nebraska to have any chance of winning as well.

Legend
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 573

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith86 View Post
    We cannot have a first half like we did against Kansas.
    Why not? Surely this offense would be able to dig us out of the 56 point hole the offense would have put us in.

I agree we must get off to a fast start offensively. I am not as concerned about this game getting out of hand as some of our other games. Nebraska lacks the explosive passing attack of Utah, Iowa, or Oklahoma. Nebraska has an explosive running game which tells me that we might just be able to limit their big plays on the ground. Our secondary must do a great job of not getting sucked up to close to the line so Nebby can get and easy long td pass like they did against Mizzou on a wounded duck ball from Martinez.

We need to put together some 10 to 15 play drives that eats up a bunch of clock. Force Nebby to have to put together some long drives rather then giving up easy big plays. Look at the Mizzou game.... 3 td's of 50 yards or longer on the ground? Do that and we are dead. Force them to drive it down the field and chew up clock. If we can do that it will be a short game and a low scoring game as well which gives us a chance.

A big weakness for Nebraska is their tendency to go head hunting. They aren't always going for the tackle but rather the big hit to try and cause injuries. (See Mizzou game for 5 or 6 instances of players leading with their helmets and intentionally going for helmet to helmet shots). We need to use that overly aggresive play against their D. Quick screens over the middle, misdirection, etc... will work against their D. After last year we know that they will be coming to Ames with seriously bad intentions and we can stick it to them if we play smart. Hopefully some of our OL guys will get into the secondary and pancake those little cheap shot artists from Lincoln.