Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
  1. #1
    Addict
    Points: 105,415, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,939
    Points
    105,415
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 825
    Given: 313

    South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    My city contact has told me the new building in front of Target will house a BWW, a Smashburger, a small italian place, and the US Cellular office currently next door.

    Personally I think that traffic will be a nightmare, they shouldn't have allowed cars to turn off Duff, they should have routed them via 4th St. to Target then back to the new building.

    Also, interestingly enough, there was almost a done deal pre-flood that the bowling alley, Enterprise, and Happy Joes were going to sell and have a Home Depot built in that location. The only hold up was Hank at Happy Joes, and him wanting to keep the business there.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 62,084, Level: 77
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,166
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    CyinCo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, IA
    Posts
    5,476
    Points
    62,084
    Level
    77
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 0

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Why do people continue to build in an area that floods twice every 10 years and severely once every 20?


    ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

    Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)

  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 286,611, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    16,212
    Points
    286,611
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,691
    Given: 350

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    The Home Depot rumor has been around for about 3 years now. After this last flood I have hard time believing it would ever be approved...



  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 105,415, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,939
    Points
    105,415
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 825
    Given: 313

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    The Home Depot rumor has been around for about 3 years now. After this last flood I have hard time believing it would ever be approved...
    I never heard about the Home Depot rumor, I heard a lot about Menards being close to Dayton/30.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 95,582, Level: 96
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,468
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,801
    Points
    95,582
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 92

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Why do people continue to build in an area that floods twice every 10 years and severely once every 20?
    The new buidings are built up enough that they aren't damaged by the big floods. Even Best Buy and Borders didn't get a ton of damage. Neither did Qdoba or Wendys.

    I'd like to hear if the Home Depot is still on now that Happy Joes is finished. It would be a nice spot for it. I'd rather see a Kohls there, but whatever.

    As far as the new building, is there really enough space for FOUR businesses? Guess I thought it was two things going in there. Going to be a small BWW.



  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 286,611, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    16,212
    Points
    286,611
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,691
    Given: 350

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I never heard about the Home Depot rumor, I heard a lot about Menards being close to Dayton/30.
    Home Depot rumors started at about the same time Menard's approached the City/County to try and go in at the SW corner of Dayton and 30.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 11,248, Level: 31
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 2
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    426
    Points
    11,248
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 30

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    My city contact has told me the new building in front of Target will house a BWW, a Smashburger, a small italian place, and the US Cellular office currently next door.

    Personally I think that traffic will be a nightmare, they shouldn't have allowed cars to turn off Duff, they should have routed them via 4th St. to Target then back to the new building.

    Also, interestingly enough, there was almost a done deal pre-flood that the bowling alley, Enterprise, and Happy Joes were going to sell and have a Home Depot built in that location. The only hold up was Hank at Happy Joes, and him wanting to keep the business there.
    Traffic on that street is already a nightmare, adding more businesses that draw major traffic is only going to cause more congestion and frustration. On the plus side I'm happy to see that businesses want to be here.


    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    I'm sitting in an milford campsite bathroom right now listening to the sirens and a guy dropping a deuce. Please god don't take me now like this.

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 286,611, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    16,212
    Points
    286,611
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,691
    Given: 350

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    The new buidings are built up enough that they aren't damaged by the big floods. Even Best Buy and Borders didn't get a ton of damage. Neither did Qdoba or Wendys.

    I'd like to hear if the Home Depot is still on now that Happy Joes is finished. It would be a nice spot for it. I'd rather see a Kohls there, but whatever.

    As far as the new building, is there really enough space for FOUR businesses? Guess I thought it was two things going in there. Going to be a small BWW.
    That would be a horrible location for Home Depot...HORRIBLE. When you build up the floodplain, the water that used to be displaced in that area is pushed into other areas. The effects of building up 5 to 10 acres for Home Depot both up stream and down would be pretty great...



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 14,076, Level: 36
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 774
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    La Fox, IL
    Posts
    1,250
    Points
    14,076
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by CyinCo View Post
    Why do people continue to build in an area that floods twice every 10 years and severely once every 20?
    It's not like the city is losing anything, businesses that want to build there are the ones taking the risk. If businesses want to build there knowing that there is a possibility of flooding, I see no problem with it.



  10. #10
    Starter
    Points: 20,168, Level: 43
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 582
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    694
    Points
    20,168
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 3

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    That would be a horrible location for Home Depot...HORRIBLE. When you build up the floodplain, the water that used to be displaced in that area is pushed into other areas. The effects of building up 5 to 10 acres for Home Depot both up stream and down would be pretty great...
    I agree. Much better location would be somewhere toward the edge of town.


    There was one?

  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 84,276, Level: 90
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,274
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,255
    Points
    84,276
    Level
    90
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 263
    Given: 0

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Home Depot rumors started at about the same time Menard's approached the City/County to try and go in at the SW corner of Dayton and 30.
    I don't understand why large stores don't start to go out to Dayton. The access is much better now that they fixed that whole area. And also with S 18th surfaced, it should be a no brainer move rather than trying to fit into an already over crowded Duff.



  12. #12
    Walk On
    Points: 7,534, Level: 25
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    159
    Points
    7,534
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Home Depot rumors started at about the same time Menard's approached the City/County to try and go in at the SW corner of Dayton and 30.
    I would MUCH rather have a Menards than a Home Depot. Home Depot = Crappy version of Lowes.



  13. #13
    Addict
    Points: 105,415, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    6,939
    Points
    105,415
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 825
    Given: 313

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    I don't understand why large stores don't start to go out to Dayton. The access is much better now that they fixed that whole area. And also with S 18th surfaced, it should be a no brainer move rather than trying to fit into an already over crowded Duff.
    I think that is floodville too. I think the Wheelock family owns that corner that Theissens is on and saw them moving some dirt there months back, don't know why.



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 167,345, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,735
    Points
    167,345
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,000
    Given: 627

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    I heard a rumor about a new mall being built off I35.



  15. #15
    Addict
    Points: 167,345, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Farnsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    8,735
    Points
    167,345
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,000
    Given: 627

    Re: South Duff new building (and yes more BWW info)

    Smashburger would be awesome in Ames. I may get that for lunch today.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPN2
  • Iowa State @ Kansas State
  • February 28, 2015
  • 03:00 PM