Received: 22
    Given: 7

Gabe DeArmond Speaks

MY ENCOUNTER WITH A HUSKER FAN
    which can be subtitled either of the following

And the truth shall set you free.

or

What I can FINALLY say

So my dad and I go to Misty's which is one of the better steak places in the Big 12 for dinner. Sean Callahan, who is a good friend of mine and a good guy, meets us there. Throughout the night, various Husker fans are coming up to talk to Sean about the game.

All well and good until a man named Jay shows up. For the record, Jay is a manager at said restaurant, who is currently off duty. Sean tells him we are a couple of his friends from missouri without divulging our roles. guy says, "so, what do you think about nebraska now? they're a pretty good team huh?"

my dad and i both respond, "yep, they're really a good team. they looked great today," or some variation thereof. we thought that was a nice response and certainly a fair one based on the game we saw. nebraska is a good team.

so, the guy then, of course, because he is a nebraska fan, dovetails into Nebraska being the BEST team in the country. A snippet of his analysis, "We put our second string quarterback in. If Missouri had to put their second string quarterback in, what would happen? They would be terrible. But with Nebraska, we put in our backup and it's the same game. There's not another team in the country who can do that with their backup quarterback." (I SWEAR I AM NOT MAKING UP ANY OF THIS).

So, my dad and I play along and say, yeah, they're pretty good. But the best team in the country? We ask what happened a couple of weeks ago against Texas. He kind of bypasses that. We say Oregon and Auburn are pretty good. He gets ****** off. He says Auburn will lose to Bama. I said that Auburn has the only quarterback in the country who is a better runner than Taylor Martinez and he is also a better passer. This sets Jay off. He is ******. He is convinced Auburn will lose to Alabama. After we agreed that is possible, he is still ******. My dad asks him no fewer than three times how us saying Auburn is good is an insult to Nebraska. He seems not to see the connection. He asks me, "Will Auburn lose to Alabama?" I said, "Maybe." He says (voice rising), "MAYBE? Either they will or they won't? Will Auburn lose to Alabama?" I said, "I don't know, they haven't played yet. Maybe."

He is convinced this a HUGE insult to Nebraska. He is now ****** off and in full fledged Kool-Aid chugging mode. Finally, he asks my dad flat out if Auburn would beat Nebraska. My dad says yes. For the record, it is possible (and certain in Jay's eyes) that you can be executed for saying another team will beat Nebraska in this state.

Jay is now fully ****** off. He goes on a rant for like three minutes about how Missouri sucks and got embarrassed "like they always do in Lincoln" and on and on. He then makes a comment about how at least we still have the Chiefs to follow.

I tell him it's not worth it. Nebraska would beat the Chiefs. I tell him I believe the Huskers will win the super bowl. he appears not to see the irony in this. i tell him that nebraska clearly has one advantage over auburn: they invented football and no one could possibly ever play it as well as they do.

the conversation then somehow turns to oklahoma (do not attempt to follow the trails of jay's mind. it will hurt you). he asks what the score would be if oklahoma and nebraska played next week. my answer: "100-7 huskers." this angers him. jay says, "no, come on now, be serious." i said, "okay, it would probably be 100-14." he says, "nebraska would be a 7 point favorite over oklahoma if they played next week." i say, "no way. 86 points. minimum. nebraska is amazing. they are the best team ever. they will win the national title and the super bowl."

at this point, you would think jay would realize i am messing with him. he does not. he continues ranting about the chiefs and oklahoma. "what would bob stoops do if he saw taylor martinez next week?" i said (and again i am not making this up), "i'm sure he would **** his pants. he can't defend that guy. he's the best quarterback ever. nebraska is the best team ever."

jay rants for another few minutes until sean convinces him to leave the table.

at this point, my father and i are in disbelief. i tell sean, finally, that this is why we hate nebraska fans. eleven weeks a year, i can distance myself from rooting for a team. not this week. i have nothing against nebraska's players. helu is great. martinez is very good. lavonte david is really good. the secondary is a *****. i have nothing against the husker coaches. i like many members of the husker media including sean, tom shatel, lee barfknecht and steve sipple. but why do i hate this program? it is because of their fans. it is because of jay. yes, jay, i hate you and all that are like you.

i came up here sad that i'd never see this rivalry again, sad that this was the last missouri-nebraska game i would cover. then jay reminded me why this is not a day of sorrow, but one of joy. thank god i do not have to deal with these people anymore. thank god i will no longer be accused of being a meth addict and the son of an alcoholic. go to the big ten huskers. leave. take your myopic, arrogant, drunken, hillbilly fans with you. you no longer matter to me. i do not care. you may win your new league every year. if you do, so be it. you may once again be the greatest football team in the history of creation. hell, what do i know, Roger Goodell may realize how good you are and actually allow you to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. But guess what? I DON'T CARE. YOU ARE DEAD TO ME. GLORY, GLORY, HALLELUJAH.

For the record, I feel this is the best story I have written today. Signing off from Lincoln.

Gabe DeArmond

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 16

Re: Gabe DeArmond Speaks

Spot on for 99.91% of skers.

Garn91 maybe the lone exception!

Walk On
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 174
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Couldn't be any closer to the truth! There is no logic and reasoning involved when speaking to a Husker fan.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling4Cy View Post
    Couldn't be any closer to the truth! There is no logic and reasoning involved when speaking to a Husker fan.

Indeed . . what a story!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82

Of course there are exceptions. But I agree with Gabe, and I couldn't be more annoyed that they call themselves the best fans in the country.

Walk On
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post

or

What I can FINALLY say

So my dad and I go to Misty's which is one of the better steak places in the Big 12 for dinner. Sean Callahan, who is a good friend of mine and a good guy, meets us there. Throughout the night, various Husker fans are coming up to talk to Sean about the game.

All well and good until a man named Jay shows up. For the record, Jay is a manager at said restaurant, who is currently off duty. Sean tells him we are a couple of his friends from missouri without divulging our roles. guy says, "so, what do you think about nebraska now? they're a pretty good team huh?"

my dad and i both respond, "yep, they're really a good team. they looked great today," or some variation thereof. we thought that was a nice response and certainly a fair one based on the game we saw. nebraska is a good team.

so, the guy then, of course, because he is a nebraska fan, dovetails into Nebraska being the BEST team in the country. A snippet of his analysis, "We put our second string quarterback in. If Missouri had to put their second string quarterback in, what would happen? They would be terrible. But with Nebraska, we put in our backup and it's the same game. There's not another team in the country who can do that with their backup quarterback." (I SWEAR I AM NOT MAKING UP ANY OF THIS).

So, my dad and I play along and say, yeah, they're pretty good. But the best team in the country? We ask what happened a couple of weeks ago against Texas. He kind of bypasses that. We say Oregon and Auburn are pretty good. He gets ****** off. He says Auburn will lose to Bama. I said that Auburn has the only quarterback in the country who is a better runner than Taylor Martinez and he is also a better passer. This sets Jay off. He is ******. He is convinced Auburn will lose to Alabama. After we agreed that is possible, he is still ******. My dad asks him no fewer than three times how us saying Auburn is good is an insult to Nebraska. He seems not to see the connection. He asks me, "Will Auburn lose to Alabama?" I said, "Maybe." He says (voice rising), "MAYBE? Either they will or they won't? Will Auburn lose to Alabama?" I said, "I don't know, they haven't played yet. Maybe."

He is convinced this a HUGE insult to Nebraska. He is now ****** off and in full fledged Kool-Aid chugging mode. Finally, he asks my dad flat out if Auburn would beat Nebraska. My dad says yes. For the record, it is possible (and certain in Jay's eyes) that you can be executed for saying another team will beat Nebraska in this state.

Jay is now fully ****** off. He goes on a rant for like three minutes about how Missouri sucks and got embarrassed "like they always do in Lincoln" and on and on. He then makes a comment about how at least we still have the Chiefs to follow.

I tell him it's not worth it. Nebraska would beat the Chiefs. I tell him I believe the Huskers will win the super bowl. he appears not to see the irony in this. i tell him that nebraska clearly has one advantage over auburn: they invented football and no one could possibly ever play it as well as they do.

the conversation then somehow turns to oklahoma (do not attempt to follow the trails of jay's mind. it will hurt you). he asks what the score would be if oklahoma and nebraska played next week. my answer: "100-7 huskers." this angers him. jay says, "no, come on now, be serious." i said, "okay, it would probably be 100-14." he says, "nebraska would be a 7 point favorite over oklahoma if they played next week." i say, "no way. 86 points. minimum. nebraska is amazing. they are the best team ever. they will win the national title and the super bowl."

at this point, you would think jay would realize i am messing with him. he does not. he continues ranting about the chiefs and oklahoma. "what would bob stoops do if he saw taylor martinez next week?" i said (and again i am not making this up), "i'm sure he would **** his pants. he can't defend that guy. he's the best quarterback ever. nebraska is the best team ever."

at this point, my father and i are in disbelief. i tell sean, finally, that this is why we hate nebraska fans. eleven weeks a year, i can distance myself from rooting for a team. not this week. i have nothing against nebraska's players. helu is great. martinez is very good. lavonte david is really good. the secondary is a *****. i have nothing against the husker coaches. i like many members of the husker media including sean, tom shatel, lee barfknecht and steve sipple. but why do i hate this program? it is because of their fans. it is because of jay. yes, jay, i hate you and all that are like you.

i came up here sad that i'd never see this rivalry again, sad that this was the last missouri-nebraska game i would cover. then jay reminded me why this is not a day of sorrow, but one of joy. thank god i do not have to deal with these people anymore. thank god i will no longer be accused of being a meth addict and the son of an alcoholic. go to the big ten huskers. leave. take your myopic, arrogant, drunken, hillbilly fans with you. you no longer matter to me. i do not care. you may win your new league every year. if you do, so be it. you may once again be the greatest football team in the history of creation. hell, what do i know, Roger Goodell may realize how good you are and actually allow you to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. But guess what? I DON'T CARE. YOU ARE DEAD TO ME. GLORY, GLORY, HALLELUJAH.

For the record, I feel this is the best story I have written today. Signing off from Lincoln.

Gabe DeArmond

Freely substitute "Iowa" for Nebraska and you would still be spot on! They deserve each other!

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 12

or

What I can FINALLY say

Gabe DeArmond
    This is a god****ed masterpiece.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,338
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 5

That made me smile this morning. funny because it's true.

***King of Diplomacy***

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Jay, the subject of the article, is an idiot. Only reason why Zac Lee was in the game was because of an injury to Martinez and being up comfortbably in the 2nd half at home against a team in the top 10 who was struggling to move the ball, it was a healthy doese of Roy Helu.

Yeah, sure Jay Missouri sucks, that's why the week before they knocked off the then #1 team at home.

Idiots like this give all Husker fans a bad name. Thanks for the shoutout, becrisgreg.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 781
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

or

What I can FINALLY say

Gabe DeArmond
    This was pretty damn entertaining. You would think Jay would be embarrassed to act that way in front of Sean. Any response from Sean? Good luck to the Huskers in the super bowl.

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The more I think about this, the more i'm beginning to wonder how much of this is true and how much of it is fiction. I went to powermizzou.com looking for the article and couldn't find it (probably premium content anyway), did a google for it and got nothing, and went to several Husker message boards looking for discussion on it and couldn't find any.

If this really did happen, it would extremely reflect poorly on Misty's as they have such a great reputation throughout the Big 12 much like Esikmo (sp?) Joe's in Stillwater and wether Jay be on duty or off duty, there would be no reason to get into such a heated debate as to what's described above with a paying customer over a football game.

Gabe's dad is Mike DeArmond, the same Mike DeArmond who writes KC Star who last week called Nebraska fans "inbred", both are Missouri grads.

Edit: Not too mention several times this artlce begins sentences and parapgraphis with no capital letters. If this debate really did happen, I still believe it reflects badly on all Husker fans.

Last edited by garn91; 11-04-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Being a Nebraska fan, and virtually all my friends are Nebraska fans, not one of us would agree with the stuff this "Husker fan Jay" was saying. Noe of the Nebraska fans I know think Nebraska is even a top 5 team. There are delusional fans for every fanbase, and Jay is obviously one of them.

Isn't DeArmond a writer for Rivals? Was this a published story? If so it is pretty poor journalism, and proves he has an agenda. Is he Mike DeArmonds son? Mike just had a rant on hating all things Kansas basketball, Nebraska football, and St Louis Cardinals baseball.

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51

Quote Originally Posted by MrReality View Post
    Being a Nebraska fan, and virtually all my friends are Nebraska fans, not one of us would agree with the stuff this "Husker fan Jay" was saying. Noe of the Nebraska fans I know think Nebraska is even a top 5 team. There are delusional fans for every fanbase, and Jay is obviously one of them.

Isn't DeArmond a writer for Rivals? Was this a published story? If so it is pretty poor journalism, and proves he has an agenda. Is he Mike DeArmonds son? Mike just had a rant on hating all things Kansas basketball, Nebraska football, and St Louis Cardinals baseball.
    Sounds like a gifted family to me.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 80
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by garn91 View Post
    The more I think about this, the more i'm beginning to wonder how much of this is true and how much of it is fiction. I went to powermizzou.com looking for the article and couldn't find it (probably premium content anyway), did a google for it and got nothing, and went to several Husker message boards looking for discussion on it and couldn't find any.

If this really did happen, it would extremely reflect poorly on Misty's as they have such a great reputation throughout the Big 12 much like Esikmo (sp?) Joe's in Stillwater and wether Jay be on duty or off duty, there would be no reason to get into such a heated debate as to what's described above with a paying customer over a football game.

Gabe's dad is Mike DeArmond, the same Mike DeArmond who writes KC Star who last week called Nebraska fans "inbred", both are Missouri grads.

Edit: Not too mention several times this artlce begins sentences and parapgraphis with no capital letters. If this debate really did happen, I still believe it reflects badly on all Husker fans.
    Having grown-up in the Omaha area, the belly of the beast if you will, I don't doubt a word of that story. I've had too many similar experiences to discount what he had to say.