Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Halftime adjustments

I'm sure this has been discussed many times here but let me preface these comments by saying that I absolutely loved having Dan McCarney as part of the Cyclone family. He was an amazing ambassador for ISU. However, for whatever reason(s), I believe that halftime adjustments (or lack thereof) were a big part of why ISU needed to make a change. I have to say that this year's 2nd half scoring stats with the toughness of the schedule are a big part of why I believe the program is well on its way to recovering and why I AM SO PROUD!

Blowouts included: ISU 124 - Opponent 131

Take out 2 games where the team was clearly overmatched: ISU 107 - Opponent 83

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,157
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 16

Re: Halftime adjustments

I thought the EXACT same thing after the KU game. When did we ever make that kind of half time adjustment with DMAC? I loved McCarney as much as the next guy, but he didn't make half time adjustments.... EVER. Or if he did, they didn't work. The difference in the Clones that came out of the tunnel at halftime versus the the team that came out at the start of the game was remarkable. Love the half time adjustments (or good *** chewing... whatever it was). Good work CPR.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

I believe the biggest halftime adjustment made was the rearranging of jock straps and underwear after the offense removed CPR's foot from their arses...

Legend
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,714

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I believe the biggest halftime adjustment made was the rearranging of jock straps and underwear after the offense removed CPR's foot from their arses...
    Actually, if you believe what has been said about the halftime, there was no yelling or *** kicking. CPR said that he simply said that just as we expected KU came ready to play; we knew that going in and talked about it all week. Now it is up to us to execute our game plan. I certainly don't have it exact, but that was the essence of it.

I think a calm reaction when they had talked about being prepared for a team that would be at their very best all week was just what the doctor ordered. No panic, no histrionics; just this is what we expected, now go out there and execute our plan and we will win as planned.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 400
    Given: 496

Quote Originally Posted by Clonegrad07 View Post
    I thought the EXACT same thing after the KU game. When did we ever make that kind of half time adjustment with DMAC? I loved McCarney as much as the next guy, but he didn't make half time adjustments.... EVER. Or if he did, they didn't work. The difference in the Clones that came out of the tunnel at halftime versus the the team that came out at the start of the game was remarkable. Love the half time adjustments (or good *** chewing... whatever it was). Good work CPR.
    I got one- Kinnick Stadium 2002. Greatest come from behind ever. I so wish I could have witnessed what happened in the lockeroom during halftime that night. After the game, the players said they couldn't repeat much of what was said. He was carried off on the player's shoulders.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,146
    Given: 2,416

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VeloClone View Post
    Actually, if you believe what has been said about the halftime, there was no yelling or *** kicking. CPR said that he simply said that just as we expected KU came ready to play; we knew that going in and talked about it all week. Now it is up to us to execute our game plan. I certainly don't have it exact, but that was the essence of it.

I think a calm reaction when they had talked about being prepared for a team that would be at their very best all week was just what the doctor ordered. No panic, no histrionics; just this is what we expected, now go out there and execute our plan and we will win as planned.

Yeah, CPR said he was very calm at halftime and just told them to get to work. He's stated before that what he says to the team is very dependent on the situation. He can't go full bore and yell at them all the time or it will lose it's affect. Also, if the situation calls for a calm refocussing approach CPR is all over it. That just reinforces my belief that he is a good coach if he can tailor his coaching based on the situation and isn't a "one trick pony" kind of coach.

Pro
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,330
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

Let's give Gene his due. Colorado '07. Down 21-0 at half and came out and scored 31 straight points to win 31-28.

...and then there was KU in '08

...and iowa in '08

...and Colorado in '08

On second thought, screw Gene. He deserves no credit.

"Karl Malone love making up jokes. Karl Malone always say, 'laughter is the best Mexican.' "

-Jimmy Kimmel impersonating Karl Malone

Addict
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 242
    Given: 88

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLNST8 View Post
    I got one- Kinnick Stadium 2002. Greatest come from behind ever. I so wish I could have witnessed what happened in the lockeroom during halftime that night. After the game, the players said they couldn't repeat much of what was said. He was carried off on the player's shoulders.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. The guy had a decade to pull one off. Maybe Iowa just figured the game was over and took their foot off the gas?

All-Star
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 778
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

Adjustments are huge, although it was a pretty easy defensive adjustment against KU. Put one more in the box and force their 3rd string qb to throw. Actually most teams have started the game that way. I think ISU just wanted to play it straight up for a half and see what happens. On offense, go to the hurry up and wear out KU's thin and out of shape defense.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 103
    Given: 87

Quote Originally Posted by aeroclone View Post
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. The guy had a decade to pull one off. Maybe Iowa just figured the game was over and took their foot off the gas?
    Seneca Wallace realized that he was, in fact, Seneca Wallace, and made some things happen.

Also, Brad Banks forgot how to hold onto a football, IIRC.

:SenecaWallace:

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,861
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 72

I find "Halftime adjustments" to be one of the most over used phrases in football today. Most people who comment on them usually base their belief on weather or not anything was adjusted, on weather or not the team ended up winning the game. Not all mind you, but most of the people who say, "Wow, those were some great halftime adjustments." Couldn't tell you the first thing the team did differently in schemes or plays that were being called.

I also never understood, with today's technology between the box and the field, why aren't you making adjustments on each and every series? Why would you wait til halftime to make adjustments. If you really watch what's going on, most good teams do this as the game plays. Not just at halftime.

Most adjustments are simple that most people don't notice, because they are focused on the big play or the score. They don't really notice that the line is double teaming another guy, sliding their blocks down, a receiver is cutting his route sooner or later, the linebackers are filling a different hole, etc.

Yes, adjustments happen all the time. I guess I'm just tired of hearing people tell me what great adjustments a team made, when they really couldn't tell you at all what one of those adjustments were.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 333

Was it an adjustment by CPR that resulted in the Josh Lenz touchdown? Or just fabulous execution by Lenz?

More than adjustments, CPR seemed to keep their heads in the game so that the game plan and hard work would pay off.

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 784
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 226
    Given: 310

You can only go to the well for fire and brimstone so often before it loses credibility. CPR does a great job with these guys.

“Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun.”
    Alan Wilson Watts

Prospect
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Actually CPR said they made no halftime adj. They stuck to the game plan and just executed better in the 2nd half then the 1st half. I am not sure what adj. you would be talking about when CPR said they made none.

Pro
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,251
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 496

Quote Originally Posted by dglade View Post
    Actually CPR said they made no halftime adj. They stuck to the game plan and just executed better in the 2nd half then the 1st half. I am not sure what adj. you would be talking about when CPR said they made none.
    Either Klein or Knott commented on how Kansas was running a certain play very effectively in the first half. An "adjustment" was made to shut them down in the third quarter.