Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

OT- Needing some computer help

So I would like to think that I know a lot about computers, however I have a slight problem that I would like some help on. A couple of days ago I went to turn on my computer and it turned on, but the monitors didn't. So I thought the video card had gone bad, but it was fine. After doing some more cleaning I found out that the heat sync is not staying tight against the processor and once I let off of the heat sync the computer freezes. I would just try my other heat sync that I have, but Dell has to make a very unique motherboard so my question is how can I fix this problem? (Other than buy a new computer) *The heat sync is a tower placed into a plastic clap that is suppose to hold it tight against the processor*

Thank you in advance for any help you can give

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: OT- Needing some computer help

Probably a very makeshift solution, but if the gap is small you might be able to bridge it with some thermal paste.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 357
    Given: 45

Quote Originally Posted by DareDevil View Post
    So I would like to think that I know a lot about computers, however I have a slight problem that I would like some help on. A couple of days ago I went to turn on my computer and it turned on, but the monitors didn't. So I thought the video card had gone bad, but it was fine. After doing some more cleaning I found out that the heat sync is not staying tight against the processor and once I let off of the heat sync the computer freezes. I would just try my other heat sync that I have, but Dell has to make a very unique motherboard so my question is how can I fix this problem? (Other than buy a new computer) *The heat sync is a tower placed into a plastic clap that is suppose to hold it tight against the processor*

Can you just get a new heat sink from dell? They usually are very good about getting new parts. Should not cost you all that much. If they give you grief, let me know, I can probably order it through my office. We spend about $2M a year with dell so we get pretty high priority service.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Probably a very makeshift solution, but if the gap is small you might be able to bridge it with some thermal paste.
    I did add a little thermal paste, and it did work for a day I might have to try and add some more to the gap area.

Rookie
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Can you just get a new heat sink from dell? They usually are very good about getting new parts. Should not cost you all that much. If they give you grief, let me know, I can probably order it through my office. We spend about $2M a year with dell so we get pretty high priority service.
    The heat sync is still good, its just the clamp thing that is no longer holding it tight. I tried makeing a wedge, but it kinda of started to melt. I will check with the local dell guy and see if he has can get me any parts. Thanks for the help.

Addict
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,149
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 11

Depending on the age of the dell< I can say those plastic brackets that hold the heat sink on the processor can be a real pain to get your hands on

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by DareDevil View Post

Sorry, I don't really understand the problem, especially the last sentence.

All processors have a heatsink. They used have a clamp that is anchored to the processor socket.
    When the heatsink is properly installed, it is held tight to the processor by clamping to the socket below the processor.
    It just snaps over the ears on the socket, and can be installed and removed easily.
    Some newer processors have screws that hold the heatsink down.

See:

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?=undefined&N=0&Ntt=intel%20heat%20sink&Ntk=All&Nty=1&D=intel%20heat %20sink&Dx=mode%20matchall

Dell for quite some time has used BTX style motherboards, which are just like ATX style only reversed, with all components placed in a standardized location.
    Most generic parts, processors, ram, etc. are still used. The only really unique design is on the processor is just a metal heatsink. The fan is mounted on the case and
    ducted to the processor's heatsink. Unless something has broken, it should just be a matter of snapping the heatsink anchors back in place. I certainly hope this helps.