1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Nebraska and Fumbling Go Together Like N and "Nebraska Knowledge"

Here's some info for you guys out there:

cfbstats.com - 2010 National Team Leaders

Nebraska through this year so far, 8 games, has fumbled 26 time. Yes 26 times! That's 3.25 averaged fumbles per game. They have lost 9 of those. If we can get on them before they can, I can see us getting the turn over margin we need to beat them.

Also for a bit more on Iowa State, we are tied in 7th for least number of fumbles. 8 in 9 games, and of those we have lost 3.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Re: Nebraska and Fumbling Go Together Like N and "Nebraska Knowledge"

Yeah that has really been our achilles' heel this season. This team really reminds of our 1999 squad I think they fumbled about 50 times that season, it was the school record for most fumbles in a season by at least 10. It was just awful to watch, ever time Crouch and an I-back headed toward the sideline on an option you had to hold your breath and cross your fingers, it could be a 40-yard run or a turnover just as easily.

Prospect
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 44
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have a feeling it won't be a big focus of the team, but the Cyclones have had an average of +1 turn over per game so far I believe and I don't see it going down Saturday.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 676
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I remember before the game last year that I predicted we'd need to be +5 in turnovers to win the game. We were +8 and really needed about every one of those. We're going to need a fairly significant turnover margin again this weekend to give them a game in my opinion...

In Fred, we trust!! Go Cyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 273
    Given: 407

Quote Originally Posted by GBR1 View Post
    Yeah that has really been our achilles' heel this season. This team really reminds of our 1999 squad I think they fumbled about 50 times that season, it was the school record for most fumbles in a season by at least 10. It was just awful to watch, ever time Crouch and an I-back headed toward the sideline on an option you had to hold your breath and cross your fingers, it could be a 40-yard run or a turnover just as easily.
    yea, I've noticed Martinez seems to put the ball on the ground a lot, especially on exchanges with RB's. Whats up with that?

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

Word to the wise.....when a team is focusing on turnovers, they're usually not focusing on tackling....

To me, make the tackle, force the them to drive the ball - the turnover opportunities will happen. But, if you focus on those turnovers too much, and are continuously goin for the strip and miss - SEE MISSOURI - your in for a long day.

FLY TO THE BALL, WRAP UP, GANG TACKLE and then STRIP!!!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,203
    Given: 3,795

Quote Originally Posted by San Francisco Cy View Post
    I remember before the game last year that I predicted we'd need to be +5 in turnovers to win the game. We were +8 and really needed about every one of those. We're going to need a fairly significant turnover margin again this weekend to give them a game in my opinion...
    I understand the sentiment but few people remember that the last interception was on fourth down. If Jesse just gets a hand on that and knocks it down but drops it, ISU takes over on downs. That turnover was not necessarily needed but was a nice creamy icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Word to the wise.....when a team is focusing on turnovers, they're usually not focusing on tackling....

To me, make the tackle, force the them to drive the ball - the turnover opportunities will happen. But, if you focus on those turnovers too much, and are continuously goin for the strip and miss - SEE MISSOURI - your in for a long day.

FLY TO THE BALL, WRAP UP, GANG TACKLE and then STRIP!!!!!
    Exactly. The first man there needs to worry about wrapping the ball carrier up, the next man in can worry about creating the turnover. That was how some of the follow up turnovers happened last year. ISU wrapped the ball carrier up and then ripped at the ball before he was totally stopped or down.

Let's hope ISU smells blood in the water like they did in that game and gets in kNU's heads. I would like to see a Fusker o-lineman going after a ball carrier after another turnover like in last years game.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr